- advertisement -

zofran prescription?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emilyblake, May 26, 2011.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Our endo doesn't rx it either.. even when Kayla was throwing up and ended up in the ER. The endo said to call our GP and have them call it in. The ER doc gave her an rx for it and then her GP did give her one at her last check to just have on hand.

2. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Our endo said it's hard to take Zofran orally when vomiting so he recommended just going to the ER and having it administered through the IV.

So last night at the ER after having it administered through the IV the ER doc gave me a script for it :) Now I have it on hand for the next time. Comes in syrup for kids, 5ml every 8 hours.

3. CallMeSpunky

CallMeSpunky Approved members

Way back when DS was MDI he had an awful stomach bug. Low bgs, large ketones and vomiting.

Our endo (also type 1) asked why we didnt have Zofran on hand. Ever since then we always have a stash in the house.

4. mbdoss

mbdoss Approved members

Our endo gave us our Rx for Zofran. He made the statement that he would rather keep up out of the hosptial altogether if possible, since the ER usually freaks out when dealing with an insulin pump.

5. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Our endo doesn't prescribe it because they leave treating "sickness" up to the pediatrician. They don't advise against giving it but have requested that we give the on call endo a call before we just give it. They explained that they would want to go over everything and be sure the vomiting wasn't related to DKA before we give it - if you "assume" you are dealing with a virus, but it were actually DKA and you gave zophran and stopped vomiting, it could delay the realization of and/or diagnosis of DKA. As long as it is absolutely positive that you are dealing with a virus, Endo is perfectly OK with and encourages the use of zophran so they can help get us through it at home and not end up in the ER if possible.

Our pediatrician keeps us stocked with it and we've been through several tummy bugs and Zophran has absolutely saved us from the ER. DS usually goes low and has huge ketones w/stomach bugs so we are normally in touch with both the ped and endo anyway - Zophran stopping the puking is the only thing that allows us to give enough carbs and insulin to clear ketones.

6. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I have a bottle of zofran here for both my girls. Our endo had no problem prescribing it for us when i asked. He said that in our situation it was warranted (meaning diabetes). When I was in the urgent care with my girls way back over labor day, i asked about zofran there, as they were giving Elly zofran via her IV. The nurse told me that it can be dangerous and you have to be careful with it. She didn't elaborate though. Im sure any medicine can be dangerous if abused though. Im just glad i now have a bottle of it in the house now so the next time we have a tummy bug, we can hopefully avoid a hospital Tay!

7. emilyblake

emilyblake Approved members

thanks for all your replies everyone. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

my endo wrote for it after we ended up in the ER due to a severe low and vomiting. It's kept us out of the er as we can control the vomiting and get some sugar into her system.

We have the odt form so it dissolves quickly. That form is generic too so not that expensive.

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava has been in the hospital twice with stomach bugs, both times for about a week. Each time, she was given zofran via IV. I have asked for an RX at home and here is what I was told.

Zofran does not do anything to treat the infection, it acts as a neurosuppressant so it tricks the brain into not realizing it should cause the body to vomit. If your child has a tummy bug, it may be better to let them vomit so the bug works it's way out of the system.

Not for nothing, they did give it to her both times we were in the ER, so it does have value. But our children's hospital and her endo are not a fan of home use. They'd rather have the virus or illness run it's course.

10. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Our old endo prescribed it and said take it if he even gets nauseous. Our new endo does not, for the reasons mentioned above. Looks to me like its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

11. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

A pharmacist friend told me that it is a myth that throwing up or diarrhea helps rid the body of the infection. They are symptoms of an infection that is attacking the intestinal tract. Any help to slow down symptoms can help protect any person from the negative effects; dehydration and all those serious effects someone with t1 can get.

12. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I tend to agree, if it came down to it, I would give it.