- advertisement -

Zaksmom--Introduce Annie.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by denise3099, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Growing pains are one thing, but fraud is different and I think that (because there are no clear standards/regulation) there is great potential in this field to take advantage of vulnerable, desperate people. That is what bothers me.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Perhaps we should submit the dogs to the FDA. :p

3. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

all I know is, I really really want one for matt. A DAD would so fit into his lifestyle. Matt hates the CGM. He refuses to wear it period. And talk about questionable, that was one of the worst experiences we had. And a very expensive one as well.

I am also aware of the expence of animal care, we have two dogs now that are well cared for. I had really hoped that when we got our puppy a year ago, he would be "trainable", but alas, he is proof positive that the dog must have apptitude and willingness and probably some smarts, becouse, he has absolutely NONE of them :D

However, it seems like dogs will follow thier own internal calling, Yoda would be the best zombie killing dog ever. I gave him a tiny zombie stuffed doll, and he managed to open the head, and take all the stuffing out of the head, and now, he does this to all his stuffed toys, taking the stuffing out of the heads of stuffed "zombie" animals. Never shredding the bodies. Its also a good reason for the kids to keep thier stuffed toys up, or they become, "de-zombied" via yoda. (this includs mom with the "de-zombied grinch" in her collection)

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Lots of info on the websites--a little overwhelming. Can you recommend a good book on the subject, a starter's guide sort of?

Spanish water dogs pick a person to follow around. Carmen has picked me and literally follows me from room to room--and it's not a big house. So I don't know if that would work since she wouldn't be 100% focused on dd. I think it would be a great breed though to train b/c of the devotion. It would be thrilled to follow it's person everywhere. Another great breed I would think is the lagotto (italian water dog). They are used for hunting truffles without eating them and are very focused on the scent and ignore other forest smells. they are small/medium so that would be good. But both are rare breeds so I wouldn't expect to find them in a training facility.

SWDs need a job to do--aside from folwwing me around the house--so this might be fun to do even if she doesn't ever become a dad.

5. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

DAD's

I spent countless hours on the internet when we knew that a DAD would be a perfect fit for Zakk. We tried tried to interview several organizations, most didn't respond, some played on my emotions, some wanted to have a trainer show up at your door for a few days here and their with an adorable $20,000.00 8 week pup and a 18+ page contract- Thank God, I found the www.diabeticalertdog.com forum. Rachel heads it up, she trains DAD's, her daughter is a T1 whose DAD is Mr. Darcy, the wonder dog. She works with Wildrose Kennels out of MS, her heart is totally in the DAD community and she is one awesome little lady. Wildrose Kennels typically has no dogs available their waiting list is sooo long so Rachel tries hard to keep up with the good organizations to refer out to us T1 parents. So anyone looking at getting a DAD should seek out www.diabeticdog.com and check out their forums.

Fortunately we fell into a great small group of DAD trainers thanks to Rachel and have met so many nice T1 families who share a common bond. We really enjoyed the workshop in MS and FB has been great! We constantly exchange our daily adventures that includes training techniques, low parties, were to get supplies, ect. If we have time in our outings we found that it has been a great way to educate people on T1-

It is work, service dogs are to be seen, not heard and are expected to be on their very best behavior 24/7 so consistency plays a major role to achieve success with any service dog-

6. zakksmom

Denise, Try putting a topic that interests you on the diabeticalertdog.com forums search bar- I usually just search my trainers name Scott Smith and I find a lot of good stuff, all the other trainers always chime in. Scott is very open about talking on the forum about the various breed types becoming fantastic working dogs :) He also is chatting on there about the scent swabs, training techniques, act-

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Thank you for this good info. Very helpful.

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

9. zakksmom

Oh yeah I definately have found that organization very interesting... check out the trainers links on diabeticalertdog.com for recommendations.

10. amazinglotus

amazinglotus New Member

I live here in Orlando and I took Lotus-my son's D.A.D to the FFL this year. We did not stay for the conference or very long for that matter. We were warned that we could not be in the hotel for more then 15mins. Sure enough she started to alert and since these dog's have a physical response to the BG levels she was a mess. We high tailed it out of there and got back on our side of town. It was nice to see a few friends, but I agree it is not someplace to have a D.A.D.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Why not leave the dog at home for this one event and just test your son often using a meter? Seems like a shame to miss out because of your dog.

12. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

There is a really awesome forum for D.A.D

http://www.diabeticalertdog.com/index.php

You can talk to trainers and others who are successful with dog training.

We scent train our border collie to alert to highs and lows and she is very accurate. Although she is not a service dog technically, we do take her most places,but my dd chose to not have the dog be her constant companion.

At home, Molly is always looking out for her.

Did you know a dog's sense of smell is 300 times that of a human.

Good luck!

13. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members