- advertisement -

Zaksmom--Introduce Annie.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by denise3099, Jul 16, 2012.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I didn't want to highjack another thread, but I'd love to hear more about Annie. Where'd you get her and how she was trained and what type of dog she is and how you work with her daily and how much did she cost and anything you can share--esp pics!

I had hopes that when we got our spanish water dog Carmen, we would trained her to detect blood sugars. All I've actually done is UNtrain her from sleeping in her crate! :eek: I did teach her to give me her paw. :p At least that's something. She has it in her but I think I don't have it in me. All we ever do with her is snuggle and pet her and kiss her--very little training going on.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

It would also be interesting to know if he will be bringing the dog everywhere he goes (movies, dates, restaurants, etc) and if he is going to college will he bring the dog to all his classes, parties, etc.

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I am confused about Zakksmom's post. Why do you want to dog to alert for BGs in the 80-100 range? Isn't that where you want them to be? I thought the dogs were supposed to alert for highs and lows? Maybe you start with in range numbers????

There was an alert dog at FFL Orlando this year. I did not witness the dog in action.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Brenda- many of us are not safe in the 80 to 100 range because it is too close to hypoglycemia.

I treat at 90 because all lower hypo limits have left me below 40 at least once per week. My lows are hard to treat and come on fast.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Really. Seems like on a good day your dog would be, well, dogging :p you all day.

Could someone link to the OP, please.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Bizarrely enough, in this thread.

7. denise3099

LOL--that's the last place I'd take a DAD. That poor thing must've been going nuts all day!. Imagine playing tennis and someone tosses a dozen more balls on the court. You won't know which ball to hit. :p

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, I agree that was an interesting place to post this....

I am curious as to her statement "It has given my son his independence back". Where did his independence go and how does having a dog with you 24/7/365 give you independence?

9. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Introducing Annie

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  10. zakksmom

Christopher, Annie is a total chick magnet so of course he takes her everywhere plus she cant alert him if she is not his constant companion-

11. zakksmom

Brenda, Zakk was diagnosed when he was almost 15. He went from a totally outgoing, energetic, sports fanatic of a kid that was never home to a life of being in fear of the unknown especially when we got his BS regulated and he experienced a few lows that scared the bajeebas out of him- Unlike kids that are diagnosed at a young age and doesnt know any different: He knew what freedom was-

Now, that he has Annie and she has proven to be reliable, his fears have pretty much so totally subsided. He is even going for his beginners permit this week!! So much to our delight until there is a cure- there is a D.A.D.... :)

12. zakksmom

Exactly- when Zakk hits 90-100 he is typically always starting to CRASH... so Annie alerts early allowing Zakk time to treat without going thru the dreaded crash-

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Denise,
    Annie is a Golden Doodle. A cross between a golden retriever for their laid back nature and a standard poodle for their intelligence. We got Annie as a "started dog" from Scott Smith with Cares-Tidewater K-9/A Service Dog Trainer- You can see more of Scott on FB at A Service Dog Trainer or on his websites. Dont expect a lot of glitz, glamor or updates from the websites or on FB- they are definately a hands on dogs kind of organization and they do an awesome job doing just that: training dogs. They are in Chesapeake Bay, VA and dont make a killing on DAD's like the many others that I interviewed while deciding on what organization we would use, they have different levels of trained dogs, videos, started dogs or turn key dogs. They actually just donated a DAD that you can see more of on FB- He is currently working with 4 donated Doodles and has videos that can be seen on FB or on A Service Dog Trainer website showing them in training. They totally use positive training methods using treats. Annie was imprinted, this means that she was exposed to scent swabs of a blood sugar around 90 everytime she nursed, then at 8 weeks Scott started obedience training and scent training with scented swabs with treats. She does very well in public, she is sooo smart and best of all she alerts Zakk and he loves her very much!! Feel free to PM me and if you or others are interested in seeing more about Annie and my other DAD friends- we can become friends on FB.

And for those that wish to be negative- pls don't. Annie works for Zakk and to us~[/QUOTE]

Can you talk more about the range at which she is alerting? I I'm curious about the benchmark of 90 as scent training number. There is so little out there about the HOW these dogs are trained that I'd really like to understand this. And too, what your next steps are for the training of highs and lows.

If I may, I think the post you made on the other thread about her alerting for in range numbers was confusing to some of us. The above clarifies that but really, I don't think it was negative feedback, just not having enough information and being a bit confused by that alert range.

She sounds like a great dog and one much loved.:cwds:

14. denise3099

Thanks so much for the response--I should have just left it at a pm but I thought others would be interested too. She's a beautiful dog--and I bet the boy's a chick magnet too. ;) I definitely check out the websites. Thanks.

15. zakksmom

Can you talk more about the range at which she is alerting? I I'm curious about the benchmark of 90 as scent training number. There is so little out there about the HOW these dogs are trained that I'd really like to understand this. And too, what your next steps are for the training of highs and lows.

If I may, I think the post you made on the other thread about her alerting for in range numbers was confusing to some of us. The above clarifies that but really, I don't think it was negative feedback, just not having enough information and being a bit confused by that alert range.

She sounds like a great dog and one much loved.:cwds:[/QUOTE]
    I had posted on the other thread because we had so many CGMS issues and they were both just unreliable- like so many I am hesitant to post anything on this site because of so much negativity found on here, so I am pretty much just an observer now-

Anyway, because Zakk tends to pretty much so always crash fast when he hits the 90's we wanted her training swabs to be in the 90's when they did the imprinting and the scent training. Sometimes she alerts at 110- and when we see this # we know for sure that its going to be a fast crash and she will consistantly alert until the odor is no longer apparent. The scent is apparently overwhelming to her because when he hits the target zone, she flings her head back in a way that says whoa.. oh no you did'nt, your not going low not on my time.. he says lets test and they have a low party.

We are now working on her alerting with a bringsel- its a toy looking device with a velcro end to it. This will be a great tool as Scott is also working on an alert device that will hold the bringsel and will sound off if he goes low at night and doesnt repond- if someone in the house does'nt respond then the alert will go into 911 with a pre-recorded message.

There is a lot of good stuff on www.diabeticalertdog.com. You can search Scott Smith's name and see all the great free advise that he and a lot of the other dedicated trainers offer. We also attended a workshop in Oxford, MS. They really try hard to help those with DAD's in training. They have had a few hiccups trying to get it organized but it is growing and getting much better with more helping hands- they hold this workshop every May.

As Annie matures she will be trained to alert the highs, much in the same way that she learned to alert the lows- with scent swabs and treats-
    I hope this answered your questions- if not, please let me know. We would love to see everyone have one of these awesome dogs!!!

16. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Thanks for your response. Sounds like Annie is working well for you/Zak.

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Well, hopefully this thread has shown you that people can have a mature, reasonable discussion about this topic.

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Thanks for taking the time to respond with so much detail.

I'm a big dog person and as such I have some concerns about DADs being well trained and well placed and not costing people unreasonable amounts and too, that people get that they are bringing a sentient creature with a 15 year lifespan into their families. It sounds like you have found an organization that hits all the marks!:cwds: And I'll check out the site. Thanks and good luck with the future training!

19. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm glad to hear that Annie is working so well for Zakk. I know that a DAD would not be a good fit for me (at least right now), but it seems that they really can work for some people. IMO, the more options are out there when it comes to D, the better. :)

20. denise3099

I'm surprised at how much actually is available regarding training. I know it's not standardized by some gov't agency but scent training has a long history and is actually quite wide-spread. Dog's are trained to find drugs, bombs, cadavers, live ppl, gas leaks, etc. all with scent training. And with positive reinforcement and clicker training you can teach a cat to play the piano!!! :eek: If you search online for dog training tricks you can see all the fun tricks ppl teach their dogs to do in a matter of days.

A dad needs to recognize the low scent, AND know how to alert for it, AND know that you want him to alert for it. Plus he has to be a good service dog meaning be polite in company, not shake in a restaurant, not approach ppl to greet but wait to be invited, be able to stay still and inactive but still be alert. It's a lot to ask of a dog but tons of dogs work everyday, as above but also herding sheep and taking care of livestock. Did you see Babe? I know it was just a movie but that blew me away the way dogs can herd sheep into different patterns.

I think every new industry has its growing pains as they try to come up with consistent training programs. But it's just incredible to see a great dog in action. Thanks for the info. :)