- advertisement -

Yucca

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by danismom79, Dec 4, 2009.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I hate this stuff. The tenant before me planted a bunch of them, and after looking at them for 3 years, I'm finally ready to rid my backyard of the 3 there. I tried once a couple of years ago, and the damn thing laughed me right back into my house. I had no idea their taproots go all the way to the center of the earth.

I have a few ideas:

1. Move
    2. Inject some kind of herbicide into the leaves and root with the pod syringe
    3. Try something called Tordon (stump killer)
    4. Sheet mulch - which I don't think will work on its own

I really didn't want to have to use chemicals, but I mean, come on. Has anyone successfully gotten rid of these things? They are there all year round! They don't even die back in the winter.

2. lynn

lynn Approved members

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm laughing out loud!

I think your instincts are good - I'd go with

1. Cutting it back to a stump
    2. Application of an herbicide (a root killer might be best), AND
    3. Smothering it with a cardboard and mountains of mulch application.

Good luck! It must be one heard bugger to withstand Boston winters! :rolleyes:

4. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

5. danismom79

Oh, that post is hilarious! I can't believe how difficult these things are.

When everything else is gone from this world, they'll be left with the roaches.

I think I will have to do all 3. Cement may come into play as well. There is a WHOLE ROW of them in the front yard that I'll just have to live with.

6. danismom79

Hahahaha. Can't win 'em all. I have never wanted to kill something so badly in my whole life.

7. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz Approved members

I so feel for you!!!! When we lived in base housing in Cape Cod there was a Yucca plant about seven feet tall in our front flower bed. I chopped it down and dug the roots out. Or so I thought! It grew back every year! Good Luck!

8. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

Having lived in Arizona for quite some time, and being intimately familiar with yucca... All I can say is... "good luck there, friend". lol. Even worse than bamboo.

My advice... develop an affinity to it, and learn to pick your battles. :)

I read the concrete trick, but from experience, it's no fix it all unless you're willing to pave your entire yard and place environment sheets along your foundation.

9. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I've got a giant hosta plant that might give it a run for it's money. I and my neighbor dug it out of my flower bed, put in near the trash cans to take out in the trash a few days later, and the darn thing put down roots and stayed.

So if all else fails, I can bring my monster hosta over and they can battle it out in your yard. :D

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think I just need to lend you guys some deer :rolleyes: That would solve the problem - oh ya... ;)

11. danismom79

Maybe. These urban skunks and possums are useless!!

12. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

LOL! You sound just like my mom -- we had a yucca plant outside of our house and nothing would kill it. I think they eventually just cemented over it. :D