- advertisement -

You're Just My Type Diabetes Photo Project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by laurapavphotos, May 11, 2016.

1. laurapavphotos

laurapavphotos New Member

Hi, I'm Laura! I was diagnosed with diabetes at the tender age of 4. People don't believe me when I tell them that I'm, in fact, grateful for finding out at such a young age. But it's true, I really don't know how I would have ever adjusted to such a drastic change of lifestyle at any age older than that. Props to the so many of you who have.
    I was a very lucky little diabetic, with a very supportive family. In fact, so supportive, that my mother created her very own support group for children with diabetes in my area. I also had the opportunity to attend a diabetes camp every summer (shout-out to Camp Conrad-Chinnock), which my friends still think is the funniest thing ever. What I'm saying is that I luckily knew there were others like me out there, other kids who were afraid of having their insulin pumps visible, in fear that people might stare.
    Even though I was so fortunate, I know there are a lot of people who are just my type, that weren't as fortunate. So that brings us to the point of this project- to show everyone how relatable their crazy and embarrassing diabetic experiences are. You're Just My Type reaches out to inspiring and extraordinary Type 1 diabetics, chronicling their struggles, challenges, and victories of everyday life. My hope is that you learn from and become just as inspired meeting these people as I have.
    I was wondering if you would help me out by featuring my website, www.justmytype1.com, and my Facebook page, You’re Just My Type, to simply bring awareness to my project. All I’m looking for are children and young adults who would like to be involved and help me expand.
    This idea came about when this past summer I met a woman who had a newly diagnosed 4 year old son. She told me that he cries himself to sleep at night, feeling like he’s the only one on the planet going through this…
    That didn’t sit with me very well.
    I want kids to be able to see photographs of other kids who look like them. I want them to know that these kids go through the same thing they do, everyday. I want them to know that when they feel a tremendous amount of sadness and frustration, those kids have felt that, too. The darkest moments and thoughts are shared by us all.
    This project is not only for the newly diagnosed but for their parents as well. At the bottom of each photo is also a quote from their parent’s-the best piece of advice they’d give to another parent of a type 1.
    The most common feedback I get is that these families wished their kids had a book like this when they were diagnosed. I can’t think of anything more beautiful and rewarding than being able to be a part of it themselves for others…
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I think this is a fantastic idea!

3. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

This is a GREAT idea. When I was diagnosed, back in 1965 at the age of 5, I was the only type 1 in my home town until I was 15 or 16. I didn't have anyone to talk to about what it was like to be a diabetic. I did go to Camp Needle Point in Wisconsin, but that was only for two summers.