- advertisement -

Your Sleep - Summer vs In School

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Aug 5, 2015.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Just wondering, do you sleep better over the summer or when school is in session. I know for me, the late nights, lack of routine, crazy active pool days, followed by lounging, crappy vacation food, etc .... I can't wait for school to start. Ugh.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Considering I saw two 50s on the meter last night...yes!!!

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

Considering I've been up the last 4 nights in a row it couldn't get much worse.. Actually our night time numbers are about the same, school or summer but our day time numbers are worse during school. The first week of school the stress shows up in her numbers every year. That's next week for us.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It varies depending on what activities they've been doing. But, unlike school, there's no set day to when they do it. So since there is no routine it can sometimes be a surprise. Yesterday they went paddle boarding and my daughter reminded me last year she went low much later in the day after it and she was right. Doesn't help that one of my daughters ripped off her sensor yesterday and it happened to be the last one we have here and Abby is doing untethered and I'm still tweaking numbers there. Waiting for hubby to bring the box of sensors down tomorrow (we live somewhere else in the summer). We've got one more month of vacation before school starts.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Us, too. The lack of a regular circadian schedule makes my daughter's previously fine-tuned basal program look like rubbish.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Oddly, we get some of our best A1c's when doing unthered in the summer. IMO it's the combo of a different series of activities and her bodies need of less insulin in the summer due to warmer weather.

7. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

I sleep better during school because I can sleep when they are at school.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Our sleep is about the same but the diabetes management is more erratic. Unstructured days, different eating patterns, etc. If we have an off day, we'll definitely have an off night. One of the days on vacation, I ended up sleeping with the Dex receiver in my hand to make sure I could feel the vibrations because she was running low even with juice and lowered basal. That hasn't happened much in a while.

9. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I sleep the same. Both times of the year have their own challenges, though I might get a tiny bit less sleep during the summer (or winter if I'm not enrolled in winter session) if I'm banging out overnight basal testing.

10. shannong

shannong Approved members

I get the about the same amount of sleep during summer or during school. Hockey season is during school so that can cause crazy numbers at night. Summer day numbers are all over the place though.