- advertisement -

Your no-fail meals

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

So what are your best no-fail meals? I mean, what meal do you find always works out perfectly in terms of the results you get - no extended highs, no spikes, or unexpected lows? Why do you think it is best? Does it simply taste great? Or is it because it is healthy? OR are you really lucky and it is both healthy and tastes great? Share an overview of how we would make it please.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Roasted chicken, no breadcrumbs, veggies and rice.
    Baked fish, tossed in a bit of flour and either baked or sauteed, veggies and new potatoes.
    Omlette with herbs, no cheese, bacon, whole grain toast and fruit.

These meals, we just bolus and go. No spikes, which is odd because rice is high GI, I think the protien and veggies must balance out.

This really is a YDMV situation. What works for us may not work for others.

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

None.

Is this a trick question? Even if he doesn't eat we get extended highs, spikes, and unexpected lows...

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

No-fail? Really?

My safest food is probably yogurt. Or something without carbs.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I should correct myself. I wouldn't say our choices are no fail, however, they are less problematic than others (ie. pasta, waffles).

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Two corn tortillas, toasted spread with nutbutter (sunflower seed butter)

27 carbs with 3 extra for fat = 30 carbs total. 80/20 combo bolus over 2 hours = a beautiful flat line until she gets hungry again. I would feed her nuttbutter sandwiches for every meal if she'd let me.

We also have good luck with ground turkey and spinach pan browned together over Near East brand wild rice. BUT I must weigh the rice. I can't get it to work with a measuring cup.

Desserts are Smoozies -mango flavor freezie thingies we get a Whole Foods or weirdly enough Foods by George gluten free brownie (weighed).

7. gerry speirs

gerry speirs Approved members

Whats the deal with the Smoozies, I'm interested...

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Generally speaking, simple well balanced meals are the least troublesome.

A lean protein, a non-carby veg and a starch tend to work together so that there is less of a spike. So we have good luck with salmon, salad and rice ( not too much rice) or lean steak, a green veg and potato.

The bad nights are a bowl of pasta and red sauce and no salad or a burger and fries or any similarly unbalanced either high carb or high fat meal. Though, for nights when she has sports practice late, an omelet and green salad is great for it's not-so-balanced lack of carbs.;)

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thank you all for responding. Your posts have encouraged me to try rice and potatoes more. And no this was not a trick:)

For us it is any combination of:

Meat
    Fruit
    Green vegetable
    Bread
    Milk

This was the kid's M.O. even before diagnoses but I am trying to expand our horizons.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

This made me laugh, because (white) rice and potatoes are my absolute BG nightmare foods, along with cereal. Just goes to show, YDMV!

11. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

So far, the easiest thing we have been able to feed Hank has been lentil soup and a banana. We often use 2 Amy's organic low-sodium lentil vegetable soup. It's actually pretty tasty, and who knew a 18 month-old would gobble up lentils like there was no tomorrow?? We use this meal as a reliable standby when we're going to eat something we know he won't like, or if he's had a crazy couple of days and we just need a reliable plan.

12. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

The easiest for us is a simple omelet with cheese.

The toughest is corn flakes.

Another easy thing for us is homemade stew. ( poor man style ;) )

13. LJM

LJM Approved members

Lean steak, asparagus (grilled) and a smallish baked potato. Salmon and brown rice.

Cabbage and corned beef (now I can hardly wait for Saint Patrick's Day) with home-made soda bread.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

When you combine the white rice or Idaho type potatoes with a meat does it slow it down?

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I don't eat meat (since way before D dx), so I can't be sure. Other protein does seem to slow it a little, though.

16. shekov

shekov Approved members

Matzo Ball Soup with chicken.

Perfect combo of protein and carbs I guess. No spike.

17. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Sliced deli meat on thin buns(whole grain) with cheese. Side of fruit and milk

18. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Not all rice are "created" equally. Jasmine rice or Thai rice is high GI. When we went to Manila I kept her away from rice there.
    We have rice everyday in Japan and it's never been a problem.

19. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

I agree with the poster who said:

a lean source of protein

This is the best basis for a good night. I LOVE it when the CGMS has a straight line all night long. And it's SO rare...

We always have a salad as well as the protein and a small starch - roasted potatoes or brown rice or barley.

Almost all seafoods work really well for us:

shrimp (boiled or sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic)
    crab meat
    lobster (great when you can get it!)
    sword fish
    salmon

20. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Crazy as this may sound, the one meal we have never had issues with is a Mighty Kids meal from McDonald's. 6 chicken nuggets, small fry, and a diet soda (45 carbs, 57 if he chooses milk instead.)
    His blood sugar is always steady when he eats it and I have no idea why. Of course it is not what I want to feed him all the time so he only gets it once or twice a month (sometimes less). When my mom keeps him for me she always takes him to McD's because she knows she will not have to deal with crazy numbers later.