- advertisement -

Your Feelings

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Juliana1245, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Juliana1245

Juliana1245 Approved members

How did you first feel when you found out your son or daughter had been diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes ?

2. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

Devastated, hopeless, angry. I felt like our whole way of life had to change and nothing was ever going to be the same. I was scared DD was going to have terrible complications because I have a t1d uncle and he just had a kidney transplant and has had several toes amputated, many eye surgeries etc.

I now know that many of my initial fears were unfounded because things are very different now than when my uncle was a child. I still feel angry sometimes, even after a year, but mostly we have all adjusted to having a child with t1d.

3. Juliana1245

Juliana1245 Approved members

I totally understand you ((hugs)) it must have been very frustrating and hard but atleast now you mind has changed and you have had a lot of experiences with your child so all is well and good :)

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Hey - can you add a signature so parents know that you are 15 and your diagnosis info? We parents tend to respond differently to a teen versus a grown-up.

For example, I would never tell my 14 year old that I hate D and it is awful, but I would vent to other parents.

5. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I didn't feel much right away. It's some of the little things that come up, when you realize that your child is going to have problems HIS WHOLE LIFE. That's when I get really down. I had to have a psychologist explain that is grieving when you realize these things. Zach was dx 6 1/2 years ago and there are still things that catch me off guard. At least I can can recognize them now. It is still hard.

6. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I was depressed..crying...feeling bad for myself...wondering how the "hell" I was going to do it...when it was my son I had to think about not me...hubby asked after a week, "are you getting out of bed or what?" I wanted to just disappear, hoping I would wake up from the nightmare......Move along one year...We are running along as normal....yes we need to be more cautious and always plan with d in mind...but I know now life with d is livable and doable...and plan on keeping it that way so my son will grow and continue his road to a good life!

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd appreciate this as well