- advertisement -

young ones on pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Dec 4, 2011.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

I have a just about 3 year old (bday in jan) and we are starting the process of getting him on the onetouch ping. I wanted to know from people with young kids on the pump how the adjustment was for them? My son is pretty easy going. When he was first dx in sept he fought shots and "finger pokes" for about 2 weeks and then he started doing his own pokes, and just sits there while we do his shots. I am just slightly worried about how he will do having something attached to him and its not very easy to explain to a 3 year old. When we start the learning process the nurse is actually going to put the pump on me for a week with saline to get us use to using it. I think this might help him a little bit if he sees me with it first. But my son is a typical little boy who likes to run and wrestle daddy and play around. Im worried about the site coming off or something like that, are they pretty secure??
    I think this will be a good step for us because I think if he grows up with it, it will be easier. Plus, he requires pretty small doses of insulin right now as he is so little so this will help do it accuratly!

-- one more thing.. is there a numbing cream or anything you can use before putting a site on?

2. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Hello!

I an excited for you to start pumping, as I think it is a wonderful thing for the little ones...they have so much for freedom, and as you stated, smaller amounts of insulin :)

my daughter was 4 1/2 when we started, so a bit older, but the transition was great. I just explained that e had this one poke every other day compared to a lot everyday, and she was happy! She transitioned very well. I know there are others with younger children who have pumps that may have more info for you. They are definitely secure, although with the little ones be careful they don't hit the site spot really hard, that can cause discomfort and possible site failures.

And yes, there is numbing cream, and I highly recommend it! Just ask your endo, they can prescribe some for you. It may be nice when you are trying out the pump too ;)

3. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

new pump

i wish you good luck with the pump! i have only had diabetes for a month now, so i can't start on the pump yet, but a kid at my school says i should try it- and he got his when he was three.:cool:

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

My son has always been on the pump since dx (was 2 at the time, short of his 3rd bday). He wears the infusion set on the tush. We now use Hypafix, but used Tegaderm in the past. Both go over the set to keep it in place. Tegaderm (not sure about Hypafix) can go as a skin barrier, in case of skin reactions to the set adhesive).

Emla is what we use to numb the area. It must be left on for a period of time. You can also numb the area with a cold spoon or an ice pack (but don't leave these on for too long). Personally, the cream is what helps most for us. Some kids don't need any cream at all.

We have always used steel sets, shortest needle and shortes tubing. Pump is worn in a pump pouch, day and night.

Here's more info:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/pumps/

Click on the left blue headings. Look also under Related products.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

My daughter started pumping right after she turned 3 years old. We did use numbing cream (Emla) at first, that helped quite a bit but it does slow the process down. We have since stopped using it because she says the sites hurt less than the shots anyway so she doesn't need it. She made that decision on her own. :) We do, however, use EMLA still for sensor sites, she won't go without it for that.

She adjusted very well to the pump, never complained about it being there. She was happy not to get shots all the time. We did talk to her a lot about it before she got it, telling her that she'll only get one shot very few days not multiple shots in one day. She was all for it! :D

It was the BEST decision we've made regarding her diabetes care.

6. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

My son was diagnosed in August and began pumping in October at 2 1/2. (he will be 3 in March, so pretty close to your son's age) We have had no issues with him accepting the pump. He doesn't like getting the sets inserted, but only fusses for a minute. He hasn't tried to mess with the sites or the pump. He wears the pump in a belt or in a t shirt with a special pocket. I like the shirts for the day when he is active since the tubing stays more contained and the pump is between his shoulder blades. We have just tried to be very matter of fact about everything--telling him what we are doing, but just going ahead and doing it without a lot of fuss. In a way I think it could be almost a little easier for them to accept it at this age. He isn't quite old enough to question things, and he just accepts it as his way of life. He does like to show the pump to anyone who is interested!

I will say though that we are still struggling with getting the basal rates and carb ratios set. He gets small doses, so little changes can make big differences. He ran very high for a couple of weeks- 200 even up to 400's. Now we are on the other end and getting some lows-44 last night :(. We were assured that it could take 7-8 weeks to get it somewhat stable. But, that said, we LOVE the pump. It is so easy to pull it out and bolus the exact amount he needs. With the shots, he was sometimes to get like .325 of a unit and we would have to decide to overdose or underdose. And it was a struggle to even get him to eat enough carbs for a dose--he would always eat too much not to dose, and to little for a full .5 units!

Hope this helps!

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Our son got his pump a couple of weeks after his third birthday, and we have had no issues. He didn't like it for the first three days until we did the first site change (I realize in retrospect that I didn't put it in the right place on his tush, so it pinched a bit). He didn't get it at first, but he was young enough that he quickly accepted it as normal. He never tried to pull the set out, nor does it come loose easily, especially on the tush. We use a tegaderm product, too, but most of the time we don't need it. We use the steel needle set on the minimed pump, but I know the Ping has a comparable set. I like them because there is very little chance of site failure and it is very easy to insert them (think: thumbtack). We have never used numbing cream because he couldn't care less about having the infusion set inserted. We had about a month of crying at site change time, but it was fear and not pain (the crying stopped the second the needle went in and he admitted that it didn't hurt--he just had to get used to it). But if you want to use EMLA, go for it.

It has worked really well for us. Good luck to you!

ETA: we use SPIbelts and a similar belt that I made out of fleece, and he loves them. He does not like to have his pouch off of him for any length of time!

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We started pumping with the ping about the same age. It has turned out not to work well for us, PM me if you want info on that. We only had a site come out from playing once. Generally, it's not an issue. I will say it makes potty training a pain, because I'd have to go with her to make sure everything got pulled up and down without pulling the tubing and nothing fell in the toilet! :p The carry around thing was a hassle -- but we didn't find it a hazard.

9. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

My daughter was just shy of 6 when we started pumping, but we would've done it sooner had we been able to afford it! We love our pump!

10. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Olivia was 3 when we started pumping on a ping as well. It has been great! We don't use any numbing agent at all as she says the sites never bother her. We do use tagaderm sometimes to keep the site from coming off when she is very active ect. I think you are going to love it, but the first few weeks can be a little bit of an adjustment so hang in there, as it really really really does get better.

11. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

William started on his ping at 27 months. The look on his face when we went out to eat for lunch and he did not have a shot was priceless! We have been lucky that he loved his pump from the start. I think showing him the pump online and letting him pick the color helped. We also let him pick out his pump pouches.

William is very much a typical little boy who at 3.5 years scales trees, fences, wrestles constanly etc. The only site we have lost is the one he ripped off when he had the flu.

There is a numbing cream and while the process takes longer, it is worth it for us. Also nice if any siblings ever need bloodwork.

It took us about 6 weeks before I saw the full benefits to the pump. I admit I hated the thing for the first 3 weeks until we got his basals figured out.

Good Luck

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Our son is 3.5 and the pump really works well for us. Currently the sites go in his thigh as there is not enough fat anywhere else. He has been on a pump since shortly after diagnosis so we can't comment on the transition. But, as you said, the ability to dose small amounts is priceless in such little ones.

Like your son there is the usual rough and tumble from being a 3yo boy. He has two older brothers and no quarter is given! Occasionally we get a site pulled out but it is just a minor inconvenience and doesn't impact our opinion of the pump.

As Lisa said toilet training is made a little more eventful!!

We don't use numbing cream although it clearly works for others. You can just see what works for you. We found that he was more upset from the anticipation than the actual insertion. He quickly became aware of the routine so we keeping it short stopped him getting increasingly upset. Now, more often than not, he won't make a sound during the insertion.

Good luck!

13. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We started pumping at 3 1/2

My son started pumping at 3 1/2 and is now 4 1/2. We have medtronic revel, and use a tummitote for his pump - it is great and goes under his shirt around his stomach - easy to access, yet out of the way.

We use sites exclusively on his rear end and have never used numbing cream for sites. You just get good and quick at it. It usually is not a problem. Just aim a little higher,not the center of the but cheek - more like the top. He has only had maybe three or four sites come out in the whole year. If his pants catch on it - I just put a little hypafix tape over the site and the pants slide right over.

My son wrestles, plays t-ball, soccer and basketball wearing his pump. They are very durable. You will love it - it gives so much more freedom!

14. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Isaac was 20 months old when he started pumping, it was a great decision for our family, not perfect but currently the best choice for his/our benefit. We were using the teflon cannulas at first but after about four months of constant kinking we switched to the steel sets and have been incredibly happy with how they stay put. In the two years of pumping he's had one site pulled out, that was from a carseat belt fiasco, happen when he was using the teflon site and we felt worse about it than he did. He is definitely all boy, rough and tumble doing EVERYTHING his older brother does, and after 2 yrs I'd say the pump is holding up better than I am!
    Isaac is very particular about where his pump goes and during the day will only wear his pump in a pocket on the back of his shirt, I've sewn them into most all of his t's. At night he will either wear it in a pocket on his footy jammies or in his "Too Sweet Boutique" pump pouch. He picks out the fabric for his pockets and has loved being able to help "design" his pump pouches from "Too Sweet Boutique". I figure where ever we can make pumping fun and exciting for him we will :)
    Since he uses the steel sets we need to change his site every two days, at our house this means we put a silly short "show" on for him every two days. Think along the lines of slap-stick humor/ Jay Leno's stupid human tricks...gets him through those quick pokes and not fun site changes, well worth it for us all!
    Hmmm...what else, I'm glad you've come to a decision - just know that it will be a tough adjustment at first, almost like when he was first diagnosed, but just go with it, call your endo whenever you have questions, post on here, ask, ask, ask...and eventually you'll be tweaking basals, superbolusing, and pushing that pump to it's limits to keep your babe healthy :)

15. lisac

lisac Approved members

Hadlee started pumping when she was 3. The first few inset changes were rough. She was using the Inset 30, which we had to put in her tush necause she didn't have enough fat anywhere else. We got a numbing cream (generic so not sure of the name) but it didn't help much. The Inset 30 looks huge and makes a pretty big noise when you inject, so we switched to the Contact Detach. We LOVE those and can put them on her arm, belly, or tush. Now it's just a slight whine with infusion changes. We used Tegaderm at first, then Hypafix, and now usually nothing. Hadlee wears a pump pack so at potty time she pulls it up over her belly then pulls her pants down. The only time we really worry is when her inset is on her bottom, she is 4 now and does potty time on her own and occasionally she has caught her panties on her set. She has pulled a set out before on accident, but with the metal needle, we just put it back in with some tape on top. Hadlee is a BIG wrestler with Daddy and we've never had any problems. For us, it is the best thing for her and we would NEVER go back to MDI, but YDMV!!!

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son was "older" when he started...5 years old...but he never once complained about being attached to anything and was actually really proud of his pump. He showed it off to everyone and loved being "plugged into" something (he's really into things like plumbing, electricity, and how things work...so a "device" attached to him was cool!).

Besides the other things discussed here like getting basal/bolus rates adjusted and learning to do site changes....the one thing that baffled me was footie pajamas!:) I had no idea how to get him in his footie pjs with the thing attached to him. Finally ended up just cutting a small slit in his footie pjs near where the tube comes out, and he'd wear a small soft belt around his waist that I'd hook the pump on. I'm sure there are others here with more creative solutions...but it's funny the weird things that can trip you up!

Good luck. It was the best decision we ever made and allows a much more flexible and controlled management of D for us. Oh, and we do use numbing cream as well...works like a charm.:)