- advertisement -

Young Marines

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danismom79, May 12, 2012.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Does anyone have experience with the Young Marines program? My daughter was really disappointed to learn that she can't join the Marines (mainly because of her diabetes, but I don't think she'd ever meet the height requirement either), and she found out about the Boston Young Marines. I've been poking around the site, and although they do have physical training, it looks more like a souped up PE class than traditional boot camp. They have info sessions in the fall, but I'm going to get in contact with them beforehand to get a feel for how things are run and if accommodations are possible.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

so it might be like ROTC programs in high school, I knew allot that did ROTC and never went on to be enlisted but it gave them many transferable skilld and looked great on college applications.

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

You could look into the Civil Air Patrol. I think it's kind of an offshoot of WWII days when there was a civilian support on the homefront that watched for subs, collected metal, etc. It's Air Force connected, and the camps are apparently very, very boot camp!

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My friend's son was in Civil Air Patrol for years. He is at Auburn now and will go into the Air Force. He said that there was no medical test to get in. Some trips they went on did not allow any parent contact I remember.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Who runs it? I suppose knowing that will give you some clue about the degree to which you will have to fight for accommodations.

I suppose I'd have to look at the whole schedule to know if it was D'able (sorry, lol, just came out like that). I think at 14, anything that they are excited to try should be tried if at all possible. It's a time in life when I think many girls give up on trying new and potentially scary things so all attempts to try something new should be encouraged.;) That said... it's hard to know how much risk is ok.

I wouldn't promise anything now - make some calls and do the research and, as I know you would anyway, don't let diabetes take the fall. If it looks unsafe find some other reason why you're not signing her up.

Good luck!:cwds:

6. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Each branch of the military the military basically has their own type of program for children. From what I know you cannot be disqualified based upon having a health condition for programs such as these.

Unlike where joining the actually branch or enlisting during your junior year of ROTC diabetes would disqualify you. So it is open to all.

The military can be very accommodating for children, are you a military family if so EFMP could help with providing a nurse? If not I would just contact the director of the program.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

She specifically wants something Marine-based. This program meets for 2 hours a couple of Thursdays a month, and one full Saturday. The more I look into it, the more it seems like a military boy/girl scouts type of thing. It's not meant to prepare them for military service. The health form does state that the kids can't be disqualified due to diabetes or other conditions.

This is the national site: http://www.youngmarines.com/