- advertisement -

Young children's A1c range

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Sep 22, 2013.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I will confess that I have periods of time where I try quite a bit harder than other times, and since diagnosis, if you throw out his lowest and highest A1Cs (which are actually within a point of one another), our A1Cs all fall within a range of 0.5. That's in almost 6 years of A1Cs. I have no explanation for this.

2. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Part of my problem I suppose is I don't really differentiate between BIG improvements in technology and a cure. I know there is a distinction, but that's not how I think about things. A cure in my mind is once a day shots. I don't expect that to arrive within the next 10 years but am hopeful it will be here within 20. Maybe a biohub type solution falls into cure category for me as well (even though it's not a cure either) but I think this is less likely than a smart insulin type fix. I think we'll be lucky to see a real cure in our lifetimes, but I'm ok with that. Just like I'm ok with taking a pill once a day for my hashimotos.

Thinking about big technology advancements is fun for brief moments of time, but fixating on it can be toxic. It's like a lottery ticket. It's fun to spend a moment fantasizing, but if you truly believe you're going to win and start counting on that big payout, then that's a recipe for misery. In my brief 14 moths and from this board I've learnt that D is sometimes a day to day journey and other times a day to day grind. If that flies in the face of what I wrote earlier, so be it. I claim insanity by way of sleep deprivation.

3. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Oh thank you for saying this. I would even say that we would consider a 160 after a meal to be a "good" number. My daughter is 5 and we were told to try to keep her in the 100-200 range, and her AIC numbers so far have all been in the 7s and the doctors have seemed really happy with that. Part of me has wondered though, if they are just being so supportive so that we don't get discouraged since we have only been at this a little over a year.

It's hard not to take that A1C number as a measurement of how "hard" you have been working, and how maybe next time, you can do a little better if you just try harder. I don't want to feel like I am failing my kid when it comes to her health. Thanks to all the posters, especially those who have been at this a few years, for putting this into perspective.

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think this is important. My little guy is a rebellious limit-pusher by nature. At 5, I can control everything that goes into his mouth, and I do so--and I'll take the good a1cs for as long as I can get them knowing full well that this might well be our "golden age"! I maintain a pretty relaxed attitude about what he is eating and when, though, because I know I am setting us up for power struggles and him up for a very rocky adolescence and young adulthood if I make the focus of his life all about what he is eating and how he is managing it. Other people with other kids might be able to do things differently, but in the long run being restrictive is not going to work at our house.

5. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

I agree with so many of these posts.

At nine months in, I am still..

* honeymooning, and thankful for the numbers that provides, but scared of the perhaps drastic changes that will come when that ends

* hopeful for a functional cure - aka technology - in the not too distant future

* hopeful for a cure in the little-more-distant future.

I NEED to have hope - if I truly believed that my little guy would be stuck with this for life, I think I'd sink into a depression. Hope is what keeps me going, reading, thinking, trying to improve (my management, and ultimately his A1C I guess).

I also understand the need to balance his physical health with his emotional health. Age is certainly a factor in this though, as at 4 years old (3 at d/x), my son did not have a huge amount of choice in his diet yet anyhow. That does make it easier. Personality is also a factor - I have a very easy going, conscientious and compliant boy (at least for now...), so I'm taking this opportunity to teach him the best choices for his health. Not that we sometimes don't just say 'the heck with it' and have whatever we want, whenever (although we always prebolus for it...), but I make those as conscious choices to be spontaneous. So far, no battles... so if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

I think we all have to remember that we're all doing the best we can, with the cards we've been dealt (some trickier than others), and most of all to be kind to each other and give each other the benefit of the doubt.

Just my 2 cents!

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

You should ask your child what a cure for diabetes would be. I think sometimes us parents forget that we're not the ones going through it all and can have our opinions on how things should be, how focused we can be, and what we hope for in terms of a cure. We all need to remember that this isn't our lives, but our children's and we can help them to have the most healthy lives with diabetes but we shouldn't forget that they are the ones living with it. I know that having a husband with t1d has put many things in perspective, but it also has shown how different he and Isaac feel about different parts of managing their diabetes and how that changes over time. The one thing that remains the same is that they know they are the only ones whom can say how it feels to them, the stress, the ups, the downs, the worries, all of it. So, when it comes to a focused A1C, a cure...whatever, I have to keep my hopes and desires in check with theirs. Granted a 5 year old may not want to do a lot of things, but he also doesn't want me to be so hyper vigilant that he worries about excessive lows or feels his identity is tied to his medical conditions. I think we all know our individual children and how they handle things, therefor an A1C that works for some may not work for others, having healthy children in all aspects of their lives should be the goal.

7. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

You all know those people who eat whatever they want, never exercise and never put on so much as an ounce ... Right? It's effortless for them ..... And then there is the rest of us who only have to look at a puff pastry to turn into one ... There we are, cutting our carbs, cutting our calories, going to bootcamp, running and sweating our asses off and maybe, maybe ..., we are lucky to break even ... Well that's how I am starting to view this whole A1C lark - it's like a genetic lottery. Yes hard work and vigilence keeps you below the double digits but if you haven't won the genetic lottery you are never going to see those non-diabetic A1Cs.... Just my 2 cents.. I put huge store in the A1C at the beginning - to me it was my personal report card for how well I was managing his diabetes. It's funny that now I've almost given up on my extremely non-compliant child who eats non-stop from dawn to dusk he has his lowest A1C in 4 years ....

8. skyblufig

skyblufig Approved members

OK, I just read through this entire thread and - whoo - that's a whole lot of info! Fascinating thread. I am always interested in how others manage this, and always looking to glean some words of wisdom and/or good ideas, so thanks to all for weighing in.

For the OP, our son is 3 and the endo's "official" A1C goal is 7.5-8.5 for his age. That being said, although their official bg goal is 100-200 for his age, we try to aim for 80-150. Off the record, our guy is comfortable with us riding the lows as long as we stay on top of them. And by lows, I mean, we (and he/the endo) is ok with our cwd waking up at 75 and then checking in about 45-60 min to see where that is going. We've had long, long discussions on what range we're comfortable working with and this is what works for us.

As far as cgms, we (the parents) are interested in it, but our son will not leave a bandaid on his body for more than a couple of minutes, so for now, we test 8-10 times a day, including 2am (when I'm up with new baby anyway) and 5am (when his dad gets up for work).

OT, does anyone else with a new baby find that the baby gets up at the same times you were up to test bg while you were pregnant? Mine does. It's sort of cool. And convenient! :cwds:

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've experienced what Hawkeye describes above: work like a dog and fail. Throw up your hands in frustration and watch it come in lower than last time.:p

And I agree, Jacky, that there's truth to what you post. I don't think I could convince my DD's CDE of this though, she'd just give me "that look":rolleyes:

Having the cgm data also makes me see the A1c differently. We have a lot of variability, so even when we get a lower than expected A1c I know that it was built in hills and valleys. Rare is the day when we see a flatline on her graph. And then it's only at night because during the day there is a parade of events: eating, sports, stress, eating again, etc etc that impact bgs.

It's not for wimps, this.:cool: