- advertisement -

"You treat me like everyone else"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kpoehls, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Mara yelled this at me yesterday when I didn't buy her a "regular" soda with her fast food item. When I asked who "everyone" is, she said the staff at her daycare, who (apparently) tell her she can't have things that other kids are having....

Do you let your child have non diet soda or drinks? If so, how do you treat?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I have used soda to treat hypos. I don't like soda is why I don't drink it regularly, but the few times I've had it with a meal, I've simply injected for the carbs. It's been okay.
    Growing up (non-D), my brothers and I were not allowed soda. That was my family. If you allow your other two children soda, then I think you should try to allow your daughter soda sometimes, particularly if that's something that's very important to her.
    From the way you write about it, it's not clear to me if the soda is really what matters, if your daughter is upset about feeling different, or if she was just trying to jerk your chain.

3. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

For us, it just depends. I try to keep Cass away from soda, anyway, but when we go out, I let her order what she wants, and we treat accordingly. I do keep diet sodas on hand now for rare treats, but I'd rather she drink water (or sugar free flavored waters) but that has nothing to do with her diabetes, and more to do with just generally wanting to make sure she makes healthy choices...

4. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

DS likes diet soda better than non-diet, so it works out nicely for us.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No. No regular soda here. It's not worth the trouble. ;)

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

It sounds to me like it has little to do with the soda. Is she having a hard time with D in general lately?

What did you say?

7. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

It's 50/50 with us. Tonight we had a pizza night and Sam got to drink regular cherry pepsi. We dosed accordingly, his numbers turned out fine (sitting at 138 right now! ;) Some times I just tell him it has to be diet. We really have no hard and fast rule except "bolus for all carbs consumed". It's hard. There really is no right or wrong answer. Good luck.

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

When I talk about food choices, I try my best not to mention diabetes at all, and I talk to both my older kids, not just my D kid, and I try to follow the same rule I am setting for him, so that he doesn't feel singled out. It also helps to keep the conversation positive, as in, 'if we eat good things we live longer and feel good', instead of 'those foods are BAD and we should never eat them.' Kids especially shouldn't have food guilt, especially at this young age.

I do let him have regular soda, and just treat the carbs like any other carbs. I rarely have soda in the house (only for special occasions) and we very rarely eat out, so soda is something I allow, since it's rare that he has access. I think that if I were to *ban* any one particular food, he would resent me and resent his D. If I am not letting him have something, I try to make it clear that it's because it's not good for him, not because of D.

Maybe you should have a talk with the "everyone else" in her life...they shouldn't be blaming her D for not being able to eat certain things. That might be the cause of this resentment. (Aside: I once saw a mom and daughter...the daughter wanted another 1/2 donut, and the mom said no, the daughter said, "but you had three!" and the mom said something like, "you have diabetes, I don't." I wanted to take her by the shoulders and shake her. She never, ever should have said that.)

Good luck! I hope she is okay. We all have bad days, I think. Sometimes I have to give DS a big hug and say, "I wish you didn't have D, too!" but also remind him what a great job he is doing with it.

9. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor is not big on regular soda except to treat lows sometimes but he loves Icees. He has an Icee a couple times a week as a treat and we just bolus for the carbs. We have good results most of the time.

10. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

We don't do soda very often because it's just not a very healthy choice but we do allow it occasionally. We are not big fans of the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas so we DO let Emma have regular on the rare occasion that she drinks soda and personally we have no problems what so ever. We just bolus for the carbs and it works out just fine for her. I am sure it is one of those YDMV things, though, so can't promise you would get the same results.

11. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we stick to diet for the whole family (minus daughter who is only 1 1/2). For preschool it was a bit tricky cause I brought in food I weighed out for snack while the others got something provided by other moms-fortunately there was no junk food allowed. But there was a few children with dairy, celiac, etc so they had food brought in from home too. The teacher explained that we all eat different food and that's okay. But to an 8 year old that might sound lame lol. I like living in this world where there is little eyerolling, my nieces at that age scare me!

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Honestly - unless there is a weight issue - this is just not worth the argument to me. IF she really wanted a non diet soda, then why not just count the carbs and dose for it?

Honestly, Coco will ONLY drink diet and refuses regular now even with treating a low!

If your daughter needs regular soda to feel normal, then I would probably go against the grain and let her splurge.

13. MikailasMom

MikailasMom Approved members

I am VERY curious as to the size and carbs, type ect! My dd loves icees but I have been avoiding them (not saying no but avoiding BK as its the only place in our town that has them) out of my own fear of determining carbs correctly. Thanks so much!

as for soda..My kids only got root beer / 7 up and other non caffinated soda as a rare treat b4 diagnosis, just as a healthy thing for them I guess, when we go out DD likes diet pop or the light lemonade or tea which are freebies. I am curious how to bolus for regualr pop at a restraunt. How do you know oz and do you subtract for ice? Sorry for the ?'s....

To OP, it sounds more like your dd has the same issues mine has! Its not about the pop persay, but more about fitting in with the others around her. Sorry you both are dealing with this!

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

We were never big soda drinkers prior to dx, but since dx regular soda is NOT an option, unless Cam is sick and then he'll drink regular ginger ale. He has never had an issue with it. We usually only keep diet in the house, but even when there is regular, he doesn't pay any attention to it.

15. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

We have an understanding in our house that the kids generally drink milk with their meals, and if we're out (fast food or not), they usually get milk or often choose water, especially at a sit-down restaurant.

When there are celebrations in our house, we crack open the diet sprite/fresca/gingerale liberally and they enjoy it. If they are thirsty between meals, they might ask for Crystal Lite or ice water. I think they have internalized (both D and non-D) that these are calorie-neutral (bolus-free) transactions. I don't think they crave regular soda for whatever reason.

Like the other posters, if it became an issue, I'd let her have regular soda from time to time, and general good health would dictate doing it in moderation.

One favorite we had before dx was sherbet punch at parties. I've made it since and tried to go lower carb, but it's seriously hard to know what you have in your cup. I'd make it now only if specially requested. DD also LOVES milkshakes, and they are SO high in carbs at most places. We pretty much never have them. But recently, when I can find a reasonably-sized one (like Arby's had on their $1 menu recently), I'll let her have a go. I just try to bolus aggressively and keep an eye on it so it doesn't get out of hand.

16. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

I just think it's hard to try to dose at a restaurant. Especially if there is ice involved. And a plastic cup. If it were paper and had the oz on it with no ice then fine. Otherwise, I'd be afraid I was "off."

17. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We don't drink soda to often. I normally don't buy it, so the kids only get it when we go out to eat. Which doesn't occur to often. When we go out Ashleigh automatically gets whatever diet soda they have. We've started drinking diet sodas too. And since drinking them the regular's just seem to sweet for me. The other kids have made no complaints about drinking diet soda. The only person who won't drink diet soda is my husband. He says the diet sodas give him a stomach ache.

18. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

As a normal rule, we only let Jayden drink diet soda, but that's mainly because she loves sodas...and when you own a Dairy Queen and spend a good bit of time there, it's a little difficult to refuse soda altogether when there isn't much else to choose! For sipping or drinking with no food, it's diet only. When she is eating a meal, she can get regular soda if she'd like as long as she boluses for the carbs in it. She always chooses sweet tea, though...it's her favorite! We have found that as long as she's eating a meal, she can get away with a 16oz cup of sweet tea without a spike.

As far as knowing how much soda you're getting, in a fast food restaurant where you can serve yourself, I would suggesting purchasing a cup of water in addition to your soda. It will usually cost 25 cents or less. Fill the water cup with ice only. Take the soda cup and fill it full with soda. Then, when you're back at your table, pour the soda from the regular cup into the water cup. You will at least know how much you started with and how much you ended with still in the cup. The standard cup size for most combo meals and such is 21 ounces. The standard drink for a kids meal is usually 12 ounces, but might be 16. You can ask the manager or staff, or look it up on most fast food websites.

In a regular restaurant, order the drink with no ice, and a glass of ice on the side. Same principles apply. Ask what the ounce size of the glass is.

You can also do an experiment at home. Purchase a 12 ounce can of soda. Know the carbs in that. Purchase a 21 oz drink from somewhere and keep the cup. When you get home, fill the cup with ice to about the level it would have been, and pour in the can of soda. I have found that in most cases, my 12 ounce can will fill up a 21 ounce cup.

Hope that is helpful!

19. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I had a friend at Dcamp who hated diet drinks. She only drinks regular. She said it was her only real splurge, she wasn't big on a lot of sweet things or anything, so when she wanted a regular Dr Pepper, she had one. To her it was worth using up the insulin in her pump.

Personally, All regular coke except Grape tastes awful. If Welch's makes a diet Grape, I will be over the moon. I tried to use reg DP to treat a low once...BITTER! And reg Coke is pretty nasty too, but not as bad as DP.
    Oh, and tea is a wonderful thing when it has real sugar in it. It's 15c per cup of my mom's tea *yum*.

20. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Difference for us because Jordan is 15, and diagnosed when he was almost 14.
    His drink of choice is diet coke. We treat stubborn lows with regular soda, so it is my preference that he not drink soda regularly.