- advertisement -

You guys are always so helpful. I am here asking for help again!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by OneTwinWithJD, Mar 4, 2009.

1. OneTwinWithJD

OneTwinWithJD Approved members

Ok the boys will be celebrating their 4th bday next week. Their bday is the 11th but we are having the party on the 15th. They are TOTALLY excited (perfect age) about the decorations so I am going to have balloons and decorations EVERYWHERE. We have a 6 foot wooden privacy foot that goes around our entire back yard and I plan to tie bunches of helium balloons every so far all the way around the fence.
    Since we are going to have all these balloons I thought that it would be cool to put them to "work"...LOL At the end of the party we are going to let the boys cut the balloons lose to fly away. But we want to tie a message to each balloon. We want it to be messages or tidbits of info about Type 1 to maybe educate a few people, who like myself before devins dx, knows NOTHING about it or thinks its the same as Type 2.

What do you guys think? Also If you think its a good idea I need help with the "tidbits".........

I will be checking back tomorrow so that I can get started on this.
    Thanks so much!
    Crystal & Devin

PS. I am so calm about this party its scary. They are having cake, ice cream, danimals, fruit, chips, dips, meatballs (because their theme is Horton Hears a Who and they think the thing rolling in the beginning is a meatball..lmao) EVERYTHING they asked for they are having....and I am calm....my husband keeps asking me if I am cool with this party...lol

2. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

I love the idea of wanting to share tidbits of type 1 information. But my gut tells me that your efforts may not go very far. From what I understand, helium balloons go up in the sky the distance of about 5 miles where the balloons freeze and then shatter into bits and pieces due to the extreme cold. Once they shatter the pieces fall back down to earth. I'm not sure what happens to the notes attached, but it doesnt seem like it would get the effect you are trying for.

Here's another possibility: put the tidbits on the balloons and have the kids at the party take some home to share with siblings, parents, neighbors etc. You may get a bigger bang for your buck if the kids share the information with others that way. With so many balloons, maybe the boys could take any left over to neighbors, local businesses, etc.

Hope this helps, even if it wasnt probably the answer you were looking for :cwds:

Debbie

3. OneTwinWithJD

OneTwinWithJD Approved members

No the answer is cool. Great idea actually. I was just trying to find another use for all those balloons....LOL
    THANKS

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I totally remember letting go baloons in grade school, with a prepaid post card to be sent back when found.

Tidbits to include.

Wetting the bed
    wetting tru diapers
    diaper rash
    UTI infections
    falling off of growth curve

along with all the Normal ques
    increased thirt
    increased urination
    weight loss
    Flu like symptoms

5. Denise

Denise Approved members

PLEASE rethink this decision. This is very hazardous to animals! I know your heart is in the right place but think about the consequences. I do know that balloons CAN travel further. Our church (much to my dismay) does a balloon release at their annual festival and the balloons have travelled many states (we live in the midwest and they've made it to New Jersey). I know this sounds exciting but think about the possibility of just ONE animal dying b/c of the string or the balloon choking them. It breaks my heart!

Mistaken for food by turtles
    To a hungry turtle a latex balloon might look like a jellyfish; to a whale it might resemble a squid. Dolphins, turtles, sharks, sea birds, whales and seals are some of the creatures that have been found dead with balloons in their digestive system. Of course, it is rarely possible to state categorically that the balloon caused the death, but intelligent and experienced biologists are prepared to state that they are the most likely cause of many deaths, and the certain cause of others. Even a small fragment of latex can block a digestive tract, and will not decompose quickly enough to allow the animal a chance to feed, so that it eventually starves to death.

Ribbons and other hazards
    Many balloons are tied with ribbons, which pose a separate hazard. These can become entangled around beaks, or even around the necks of curious young animals that then face a certain, horrifying death, as they grow larger and the decorative noose tightens around them. The truth is we do not know how many animals suffer and die because of balloons - the very nature of the marine environment makes it impossible to record even a fraction of the casualties.

I have seen pics of these things happening. There is a push to ban mass balloon releases. Please reconsider.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree, and I think this is a much more effective idea. I know your orignal idea means a lot to you, but I would hate to see your work go to waste. Also, I'm always seeing helium baloons stuck in trees!

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've got to agree with Denise here. A balloon release sounds so pretty and nice, but if you said, "I'm going the throw thousands of bits of latex into the sky and let it shower down for 100s of miles".... well, it just doesn't seem so festive:rolleyes:

It sounds like you are making a wonderful and meaningful party. I'm sure you will come up with many memorable activities without the balloon release and it's negative environmental impact.:cwds:

8. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I too am having Amanda's birthday on the 15th..this is her 3rd birthday! :) She loves balloons but she would be horrified if we let them go fly away..lol...

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

THe ballons are extremely dangerous to wildlife

10. Anne in KY

Anne in KY Approved members

"Here's another possibility: put the tidbits on the balloons and have the kids at the party take some home to share with siblings, parents, neighbors etc. You may get a bigger bang for your buck if the kids share the information with others that way. With so many balloons, maybe the boys could take any left over to neighbors, local businesses, etc."

I like this idea, so you can be sure some one will actually receive the message. How about featuring famous people who have Type 1, such as Nick Jonas. You could have their photo and a sentence about their dx on the note attached to the balloon: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,398681,00.html

Anne in KY

11. Anne in KY

Anne in KY Approved members