- advertisement -

yes or no. Do you allow your childs school to call thier Dr?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by valerie-k, Jan 19, 2012.

?

Do you allow the school nurse to talk to your childs Dr office?

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. no

54 vote(s)
    96.4%
  1. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

The school has called, they want me to sign a form stating they can contact matts dr. Im not so sure I want this to happen. Do you allow your school nurse to have contact with your childs Dr or not?

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Absolutely not! Our nurse would never even ask. She leaves ALL decisions up to me. There is no reason for them to speak with the dr. They speak to you.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Our current middle school nurse wouldn't even think to call our doctor, but when my son was in elementary school, we had a very hands-on nurse (too hands on, actually) and I found out that she had been in contact with them. :eek: Apparently one of the forms I signed at the beginning of the year gave her that permission. Even the doctor's office was confused as to why she was asking for info. From that point forward, I made sure the school nurse did NOT have permission to contact them.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess I would want more information. What would be the purpose for them to contact your child's doctor? Is it only in cases of an emergency where they cannot reach you and they need a medical decision to be made quickly? I would seek to understand why they are asking for this before rejecting it outright.

None of her schools have ever asked for this type of access.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  5. jessandvarick

jessandvarick Approved members

School asked us to sign a form giving her permission in the case of where I cannot be reached and it is necessary for the matter in hand at that time. But I'm always reached and we have a great relationship with the nurse and she would never go over me.

6. valerie-k

this is not for using in case of an emergency contact. In case of emergency, my husband can always be reached and is 7 miles from the school

7. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

If there is an emergency and you can't be reached they would be calling 911 and the paramedics would be in contact with a doctor at the hospital.

I'm not sure I see the purpose of giving a general consent.

In our case it would be much more likely that they couldn't reach the endo, not either my wife or I.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The nurse should not be talking to the doctor. The endo's medical orders should state that you are allowed to make changes to the medical plan.

9. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

When my son was in public school last year, the nurse never asked. I just don't see why it would be necessary. As previous posters said, A) they should be taking direction from you. B) it would be more difficult to reach the doctor than to reach you. C) If they cannot reach you they need to call 911.

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We had signed one but revoked it once I realized she (the nurse) was planning to call the doc before making changes. We got into a bit of a battle over temp basals and I was furious (still am, to be honest...) and when that came out I called the doctor's office within 60 seconds of leaving the meeting. I had a written and witnessed document faxed that afternoon that clearly stated that they were to give NO information to any school representative and that I was officially revoking the previously signed document.

Our school was really obnoxious about it, too. They played the "If it's an emergency and you don't sign this, the doctor won't be able to help us" card, which is crazy because if it's an emergency they need to call 911. Then they tried the "It's a little concerning to us that you don't want us to know her medical history. It sort of raises a red flag because we wonder why you would want to hide something" line, as if a school has a right to take my daughter's privacy and insinuating that we were hiding abuse or something. They also tried, "This is a standard form and all of our parents sign this when they have a child on a medical plan." approach, as if I were a lemming.

I will never sign another one.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

When my school were not being understanding about T1 (they sent me home when I had more than one low in a day, and I was made to speak to a counsellor about testing my BG too much when I was testing around 10 times per day), my CDE came in and talked to the staff about diabetes generally. There were 3 of us with D and we all shared this CDE, so it was useful for all of us and the school were a lot better after that. But my mom was also there when the CDE came in, and I wouldn't have been comfortable with the school just discussing my private medical records at will with my D team.

12. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

While my son is not in school yet, I can tell you the answer will be NO WAY! The nurse couldn't find my then kindergarten daughter's clothing in the labeled pouch of her backpack after calling to ask where they were! There is no way this person will be calling our endo or making any changes without consulting me first.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Nope. 1)My doctor is very busy. There's no way she or our nurse would have the time to talk to them during the school day. 2)My doctor knows that we are the go to people first. 3)The school knows that in a dire emergency they can call our doctor, but our doctor would say "transport to hospital." Then, once at hospital, our docs will talk to attending.

So what I'm saying is there is no reason the school nurse would need to talk to your child's doctor.

Is it because if for example, you know your child is running low that day, so if they had to dose and say instead of giving 1u, you tell them .50u? Some nurses are very strict about following orders to the letter. That is why on our medical plan we have "changes to dosing allowed with parental consent."

14. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Only in the absolute emergency case where they can't reach me or my husband -- that would be really next to never that I can't be reached.

Maybe she'd have better luck reaching our endo than I do :p

15. spamid

spamid Approved members

We have fought this battle as well, but not over changing doses. Our school counselor wanted access to the endo for absences related to diabetes if they got excessive, since I wanted this in the 504 plan. I gave permission, but the endo can't be reached during school hours anyway, and won't dicuss my daughter's medical history, just confirm that she may have absences related to diabetes.

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Then what is the reason they want this access?

17. valerie-k

becouse lately we have had a rash of bad luck and matts sets have come out in the middle of the night, and he has woken up with high ketones (+4) so I havent sent him to school untill they are under 1. Some times its been in the middle of the day, and others, he has spent the whole day home becouse he is still running ketones at 2pm-ish.

perhaps I do take care of ketones wrong, I give him more carbs to get insulin going... Usually coke.

However, she feels she should talk to his Dr about his care and what can be done is the gist I am getting from her. Like I am unaware of any problem. I honostly got the speal from her on how bad it is that matts not in control, and has ketone issues and what can happen later in life :mad: Like Im not thinking about that all the freaking time already, and I dont know this! this is my life. Im aware! I honostly dont need some stranger who has known my son for a month and a half thinking they can just encroach in my personal life and make decisions, basically to my way of thinking, behind my back.

Her mistake, was calling my home phone this am thinking she was calling the clinic, thats how she was caught. And then the director of the school called and wants me to sign a paper stating she can get matts drs to talk to her. So Im upset, rightfully so or not, Im upset about this.

18. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

I'd be more than upset by this; I'd be extremely annoyed and be looking to have a meeting with the school superintendent at a minimum. What she did attempt to do is against the law.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  19. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I'd be mad too,but IS it really against the law? I'm unclear on that. According to this what the nurse did is well within the law.
    http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/ferpa_and_hipaa/517.html

The HIPAA Privacy Rule allows covered health care providers to disclose PHI about students to school nurses, physicians, or other health care providers for treatment purposes, without the authorization of the student or student?s parent. For example, a student?s primary care physician may discuss the student?s medication and other health care needs with a school nurse who will administer the student?s medication and provide care to the student while the student is at school.

20. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

There should be only specific circumstances under which this is legal. I hope that this enormous umbrella they've given above isn't all that is written on the matter. Room for abuse anyone?