- advertisement -

Yeowzer, people are so divided on this

Discussion in 'US Health Care Reform' started by joy orz, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Approved members

I never accused you of calling opponents of the bill racist and I'm sorry I gave you that impression. Yes, maybe I'm a tad touchy I mean someone did accuse us of racism for being against the bill on this very thread and it was said on the new one opened up. People get angry when they are being marginalized and that's what's happening in this country with this healthcare bill. Supporters of the bill (I don't mean YOU personally or others on here) need to really try to understand why people are angry instead of blowing people off with remarks of they just hate this because they're racist or any other label that is used. We wouldn't do this to our kids right? If we had a kid that was upset over something wouldn't we try to understand why and not marginalize him: "he's a spoiled brat", "he's just angry because he doesn't like having to go to bed early" OR ignore the fact that he's upset in the first place? Why do it to our fellow Americans?

2. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

3. chammond

chammond Approved members

I am sorry, I have made a point not to get involved in this thread, but this just got to me. Some of the most important legislation ever passed in this country caused this sort of uproar, and it was GOOD. Just a couple of examples including the Civil Rights Movement, The Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and countless others that I cannot think of at the moment. I am not necessarily equating these events with healthcare reform, but they did "tear this country apart". I am not going to put my opinion on healthcare, because I don't feel as though I have enough facts to make an educated decision on my opinion as of yet, but I don't think that the amount of "uproar" is a way to base its relevance or importance.

4. pinkpanther

Yes, but those things FREED people, not enslaved them-that's where the difference lies.

5. pinkpanther

6. chammond

Wow, I didn't realize I was being "enslaved". Maybe you just gave me my decision on healthcare.

7. pinkpanther

I think everyone would agree this is not a good thing:

Coverage Now for Sick Children? Check Fine Print

WASHINGTON ? Just days after President Obama signed the new health care law, insurance companies are already arguing that, at least for now, they do not have to provide one of the benefits that the president calls a centerpiece of the law: coverage for certain children with pre-existing conditions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/29/health/policy/29health.html

8. Lance

Lance Approved members

9. Lance

Lance Approved members

Becky -

Listened *numerous* times. Thought you may be right after the first couple, but it actually sounded more like "traitor" to me. I do my best to approach all of these things with an open mind, and I don't deny the existence of racism, but am tired of having the accusation thrown up (not by you) every time someone disagrees with the President's agenda.

10. chammond

Maybe the video didn't pick it up. Maybe no one really said it. I don't think the fact of whether or not the word was actually said relates to this discussion. I think no matter exactly what words were said there was a large group of very angry people screaming and mobbing a man who, whether we agree or not, did what HE felt best for our country. We don't have to agree, and we can express our displeasure with our politicians in much more productive manners.

The man screaming and throwing the money at the man with parkinson's, I'm sure he was sorry when he saw how disgusting he was being. And then I read the comments after the article of his apology. Just about as bad.

I am sorry, but we are all adults, and I cannot find any place in my conscience to justify people acting like animals. I have never personally seen such a disgraceful display of human nature as I have the past week. I am young enough not to be around during any point of this strong political turmoil in our country. And it isn't one-sided, I know that.

I have close friends and family on both spectrums of this issue, and cannot imagine treating any of them the way people are being treated. There is no excuse and no justifications. We are all human. We don't agree, but that does mean we should treat each other like crap.

I have been following this forum for several days because, frankly, it is quite entertaining. So far I have seen nothing posted that has swayed my decision one way or the other. Everyone is so angry, and they can't see that it does not matter what you post; facts, figures, polls, etc., anyone who is for "the other side", DOESN'T CARE. This issue touches our most core values, and there is nothing you can say that will sway the other side.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

These responses are the death throws of a subset of a party that has lost contact with reality and clutches onto ideologies that are based on ignorance, misinformation and/or mythology. It's the end of the world as they know it and they are not happy about it.

12. Toni

Toni Banned

I am one of those people who are more than annoyed the Dems dragged in Romney's bill in a last-ditch effort to pass a healthcare bill. That they had to resort to getting in bed with the devil because of ONE newly elected Senator from Massachusetts (how ironic), I can understand. But I DO support this bill. Hopefully, they can pass something more comprehensive in the future. When I see pre-existing condtions and lifetime caps lifted, hell yes, I am going to support it. P.S. Since it does not look like they are going to pass real health care reform in DN's lifetime, I can only hope she marries a Canadian, Frenchman or Scandinavian and emigrates. Only then will she really be protected. If she is going to shounder a 67 percent tax bill (and those are the projections NOW, regardless of this bill; it's from the BAILOUT) I want her to get the benefits people in these countries enjoy: HINT: they enjoy benefits well beyond healthcare, extending to education, subsidized housing, decent salaries if disabled and cannot work, long term maternity benefits....the list goes on and on. She's going to be taxed at this level and get BUPKISS from the government.

13. SueM

SueM Banned

It does appear that this is the way we are heading. In my opinion, that's got nightmare written all over it. Wealth redistribution basically, right? When you have the government basically running every aspect of your life, it's hard for me to see how that's a good thing. I recognize that others feel differently... It's just hard for me to see it as being good.

I will say though... I am more of a "you can't trust either party" type of gal. D's and R's all run together for me... Each trying to outdo each other for the who's going to screw up the country more award. The pendulum just keeps swinging back and forth.

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

15. SueM

SueM Banned

Interesting article. For me, it's just more proof of our country going back and forth between D's and R's each trying to outdo each other (and not in a good way, imo). The "The pendulum just keeps swinging back and forth" idea so to speak.

I remember when those who may have been opposed to the Patriot Act were associated with "terrorists" or when anti-war protests were seen as unpatriotic, etc... The idea that if you weren't with me, you were against me type of attitude. How's that working out for us?

Same idea here. Demonization of the "other side" politically is simply a way to distract from the reality. Suddenly, it isn't about the merits of Healthcare reform anymore, it's about how many racists the Republican party has, etc. etc...

16. Miike

Miike Approved members

We need a public option. It is a good bill overall.

17. Miike

Miike Approved members

Health care should be treated as a right. It is not that easy to define as freedom and human rights. Freedom and human rights are free and health care needs have a price and vary from individual to individual. As we claim equal rights, we are not equally endowed with perfect bodies or in possession of equal wealth.

18. Toni

Toni Banned

For instance, we pay taxes for public education for our children out of our property taxes. We have to pay it even we send our children to private school. It is not as if we won't be taxed heavily if we do not pay for health care. We are taxed anyway.

19. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Wow, you should really be ashamed of yourself. You are an example of everything that has gone wrong on these forums in the past two years and the reason I have personally found other venues for support, (and I'm only one of many). You have nothing positive to offer to any discussion and when you are opposed there is hell to pay. That is why people don't want to "debate" with you, it has nothing to do with the merit of your arguments, (if there is any), you just like to fight. You have been a bully on this forum for quite sometime and while you have a right to your opinion, and your apparently endless hatred... you do not have the right to use private personal information about another CWD member to attack them in a public forum. How dare you.

I am not one to attack another member, and my history and reputation here stands for itself, but you are beyond out of line. If this forum is to be anything like it was intended, this kind of thing has to stop.

Sincerely,

20. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Welcome to the forums! Although I do not agree with you, your opinion is an important part of this very American process, and I am pleased to welcome you to the debate.

New faces and voices are ALWAYS welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.