- advertisement -

Yelled at Waitress, Feel Bad...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mischloss, Jul 6, 2009.

1. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I can understand ADD without medicine (trying to give the body a break) throws another angle into it all too. :cwds: Not a good day. Ugh.

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Sounds like a stressful situation all around! I guess at this point, I'd talk with my son and explain that from now on he's got to either eat the tabs or I will have to tell the waitress that he has diabetes. And if the sitaution comes up again (hopefully it won't), I'd remind him of that.

3. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

it happens, don't beat yourself up about it...I'm sure she has had her "days" as well, even if not 'D' related. Maybe carry coke around instead of tabs?!?

4. mommyx4

mommyx4 Approved members

What a tough situation for you being so worried and trying to get the message across to the waitress without embarrasssing your son. I can totally understand that. I can also understand your son being extra agitated without being on his ADHD meds. My oldest is also on Vyvanse and he's been off for the summer so I know what an effect that can have on them. Adding D and being low to the mix was just a lot to handle, I'm sure.

I think going back (without your son) and explaining to the waitress what happened would be the best thing. It would make you and her feel much better about it all, I'm sure.

(((HUGS)))

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

I have not read all the replies so may be repeating. When I am low when entering a restaurant that has a bar I do not wait to be seated but go straight to the bar and order an OJ or coke and take with me. It is always unpredictable once seated. Even if seated will often just go ashead to the bar and get it ordered directly. I have also told the receptionist that someone needs to get me a coke right now and if she/he doesn't get it done right away will then go to the bar. If no bar I have also just gone back to the drink serve up area and asked who was ever standing there to get me a drink. I simply say it is needed right now for health reasons, if they ask. Have never been asked for a reason.:cwds:ali

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I'm sorry you had to go through this!

I hope that your son now realizes that he needs to allow you to quietly and privately tell the waitress the reason for asking that she return with just his coke immediately.

It wasn't "fussing" -- as he worries -- but being SAFE.

This disease can be so tough on kids who are sensitive about being different. And those kids can be so tough on their parents.

Hope you don't have to deal with this again soon.
    Eileen

7. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Im with you there, the whole world can go to BLEEP when your child is in trouble! If I had the tabs on me, I probably would've shoved one in Kats mouth and said "ok now lets get that coke." But then, I would do that because Kat loves to use her lows as an excuse to get junk food, because its not something we usually otherwise would have in the house. I cant imagine dealing with a 14yr old boy (someone your size or bigger) who is having a low and playing the mommy card too!

8. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I feel your pain. My mom is EXTREMELY stubborn and often refuses to eat or drink anything when she is that low. She says she's fine -- obviously her thinking is very impaired when that low. The last time she was very low with me we even tried to use glucagon and we were unsuccessful because she was screaming and swinging her arms around, we couldn't even hold her down. We had to call ems. She refused glucotabs. I made her put one in her mouth and she hid it like a little squirrel and spit it out.

Please don't be so quick to tell the op what she should have done. Sometimes it is IMPOSSIBLE to get them to eat or drink! It's kind of like a drunk -- there are happy drunks, there are angry drunks, there are silly drunks. Being low is different for different people. My son is very compliant when he is low. My mom gets really really angry and stubborn, you can't make her do ANYTHING!!

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm sorry you feel bad about the whole situation. Don't be too hard on yourself.
    How about a short note to the restaurant manager, to pass on the message to the waitress that you are sorry for how you spoke, that it had nothing to do with her, just the situation was an emergency one?
    Probably would make her feel good that a customer actually gives a darn, kwim, and it will make you and your kid feel better too.:cwds:
    And maybe you'll get a free meal out of it.:p

Just a thought.

Take care.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Hind site is 20 20, next time you should just go straight to the bar and get it yourself. Esp. if you son wont let you mention D. Which is an issue in itself:(

Do you carry juice at all? Glucose tabs can be a choking hazard when their that low IMO

11. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Brenda, this is so true. He is stubborn but can be reasoned with when on Vyvanse and not low. without Vyvanse and then at 40 something for a low, it was certainly triggering a hissy fit which i was attempting to avoid in front of waitress and mother-in-law. We keep the tabs in my pocketbook and the car at all times. anything else just warms up too hot in the Georgia summers. We do take a cooler if I know that we will be out for a while, like a park or activity of course. He checked on the way to the airport and he was like 160 but as we got to the restaurant which was about 1 hr later, that's when he hit the low. I tried buying the Glucose burst I think...the one is the tube, and also the little shot bottles can't remember the name. Tried them, hated them, won't take them again. he likes the "assorted flavored" tabs the best.

12. Spongy

Spongy Approved members

I am so sorry you had to go through this. I remember being 14, no diabetes, or add, just 14 and would want to just die if anyone called attention to me for any reason, god knows I would never have left the house if I had diabetes. My parents embarrassed me just by being there!

Who hasn't said or done something in the heat of the moment?? Best you can do is try to put it behind you, if it makes you feel better, apologize to the waitress, she may appreciate it, if she doesn't, who cares? Give yourself a break, you have a lot on your plate.

13. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

Amen, Sista! LOL! :D

14. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Thank you Spongy and everyone else. I feel better than I got to think it through with my online D family. Thanks for being there for me and Mikey. : )

He is a wonderful kid and I wouldn't trade him for the world but as you mentioned being 14, D and ADD can be like the "perfect storm" sometimes. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells at times not to upset the apple cart regarding my son's moods. It really helps to talk about it. :cwds:

15. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Maria, sorry you had to go through the "perfect storm." (Good description BTW)

I get to come at this from two angles. Tom has also been reluctant to trade on his diabetes as to "special treatment." Having now survived two restaurant episodes of critically low BG, with borderline hypo seizure activity, he now knows that I will say whatever I have to, to get him what he needs. The first time, all I had to say was, "We have a diabetic emergency. We need orange juice or regular soda IMMEDIATELY." The second time I was not there but his friends took care of it and the waitress jumped to get a soda. Once you get your son in a talking mood, you might want to discuss in advance how to address these issues in the future, and make it clear that you will do whatever you need to to get expedited attention.

As for the waitress - my daughter is one, and I can almost guarantee that any annoyance your waitress felt at the time was assuaged by a good tip! From my daughter's perspective, she would appreciate it if you were able to go back sometime and tell her what was happening and why you were in such a mode. It's a nice little something she can add to her info bank for future reference.

16. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Excellent points! I'm glad you were able to chime in with experiences from both sides.

17. 3js

3js Approved members

((Hugs)) hope you are recovering from your stressful day!! Sounds like you know what should have happened, and just need to vent about having a teen with d, and lows in public, lol!! Not fun. My son is combative when low. Sometimes he doesn`t even believe he`s low. arrgh.:eek:

I think perfect storm is a very apt description! Take care:)