- advertisement -

Yay for dexcom!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AliciaM, Jan 13, 2014.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

So I will be getting my dexcom next week :) I didn't have enough $ to order. I had a meltdown a few days ago because I have a lot on my plate and I think the cgm will make life just a bit easier. I've read SO many great things about dexcom and its accuracy. So I ended up taking some funds from my RSP. I'm 24 so I don't think it's going to made a huge difference on retirement for the amt I took out.

That being said. I got alcohol wipes and skin tac wipes so that the sensor can get more wear and that it won't sweat off or come off in water.
    Is it ok to take baths in? Also I know people do arm sites, thighs, tummy etc. Is there a good place for a first time spot? I do cheerleading so I tumble and am a flyer. Any other tips? I'm so excited :)

2. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Alicia, I don't have any advice (I'm new to this) but just wanted to say congratulations and I'm excited for you. Best of luck!

3. JessiF

JessiF Approved members

Congrats! We started our toddler on Dexcom at the end of December and we love it. It has helped me avoid or find out about lows that I would not have known about because I would have assumed he was just soundly sleeping.

The first site we used was his upper bum. It worked okay but got rubbed by his diaper (we use cloth) and pants waistline. Next we used the back of his arm and although I thought his arms would be too small for that it actually works great. His readings are sometimes VERY accurate.

The first sensor lasted one week. It held fine while I was bathing him in the sink and avoiding getting it wet. Once he took a real bath the adhesive started coming up at the edges.

With the second sensor it has lasted ten days and counting and still looks good as new. I have bathed him at least 2-3 times. This time when we did the insertion I used Skin-Tac wipe to make the area extra sticky. Just make sure to wipe in a donut circle around the spot where the needle will go in. If you use Skin-Tac then don't be afraid to bathe. The transmitter itself is waterproof.

Be aware the readings the first day or two are not as accurate but after that they get much better. The first time we put the sensor on we did it before bed and that night I got woken up so many times by low alarms but when I did a fingerstick he was within target range. For that reason I recommend doing the sensor insertion in the morning.

The receiver has a great range, I even find that when my son is napping upstairs I can keep the receiver with me in the room below him and it still picks up his signal.

4. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

I was just reading in Pumping Insulin that there are "tricks" for making the sensor last longer. Our first good one (we had two failures at first) lasted 7 days. I've heard that you can get as much as 14 days from them. Anyone know the "tricks"?

5. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Thanks Jessi! I got a box of skin tac wipes from my pharmacy :) So I'll definitely use those and i'll make sure not to get it where the needle goes in! Don't wanna have probs :/

Glad to hear it sticks well through baths..cuz I love taking baths! Sometimes just to relax a bit and soothe my sore muscles from cheer. I'll definitely do the insertion in the morning/early afternoon then so I don't do it right before bed thanks for that tip! I live in an apt so I should get good readings from almost any room hopefully. Other than that cheer is where I'll make sure it's a bit closer by which shouldn't be an issue either :)