- advertisement -

WWYD? Supplies in school...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaChrissa, Nov 6, 2008.

1. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

I will preface this by saying that I do not like or trust our school nurse. I have told her that if Jason's pump malfunctions or for some reason he needs an injection I will handle it personally. However she is still bugging me to give her insulin and syringes. I have told her no on several occasions, that I would bring in any supplies PRN, from home. (I live 4 blocks from the school and am always available, as she well knows) But she still keeps bugging me! I do not trust that she would accurately dose him (J, at 5, knows how to carb count better) nor do I trust the clenlieness of her office. Not to mention he HATES injections and actually getting him to sit still is a challange.

Should I just give in, sacrifice some supplies to get her off my back, or stand my ground? Ive been told that I can be a bit pigheaded when it comes to these things, so I am looking for some educated input. :)

2. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Since my son was diagnosed, we always planned for the worse. So though she may have orders to not inject in the event of a malfunction (have your dr write the orders so she is obligated to follow them) what if the worse happened?

What if there was a really bad storm, you couldn't get to the school, the kids were not allowed to leave, everyone is in lock down, and the insulin runs out in the pump? (Highly unlikely, but when I lived in CA it was more justified b/c of earthquakes) But really, who knows what could happen. I personally would prefer the back up there for those extreme situations.

Just one way to look at it.

Charmed

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

We keep a bottle of unopened refrigerated insulin in the health room and syringes in case of emergency. I'm always to be called for pump/set issues but if all else fails then they have the means and the dr's orders on how to give him injections. In a lockdown situation they won't let parents in the school - of course for a lockdown and a set/pump malfunction to happen at the same time would be unlikely but .... I've seen the school locked down before.

If your nurse has orders to only give the injection under certain circumstances then I think it is ok to leave it. I think she is not being unreasonable to ask for these supplies for emergencies if you could not be reached or etc.

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I agree with pp. You have to plan for the unexpected. Extra supplies should be in place just in case.

The written plan can indicate exactly WHEN it is appropriate for the nurse to use them.

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Leave it with the nurse with explicit EMERGENCY ONLY instructions. Your phone ringing busy for 5 minutes DOES NOT constitute an emergency. You will soon enough find out if she is willing and able to follow those instructions.

BTW, my initial response would have been "Tell her to pound sand," but you have received worthy and reasonable advice from the previous posters. :)

6. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I would let her have it there. There are too many what if's to not have insulin at school as a back up - in my opinion. We have pen cartridges and I just leave one of those at school for her along with some syringes. We now also leave pump supplies at school even though I really don't want her to change his site. I didn't understand why she was so adamant that we have all the supplies at school but now I realize that she just wanted to be sure she had everything he might need available - not that she really wanted to use it. She just wanted to be thorough.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I have a different opinion. If you don't want her giving shots, for whatever reason, and if Jason would be uncomfortable, and if you can be available then I say, tell her to back off. It's your call, not hers. Yes, there is a risk that some horrible event could arise and you might wish you had taken the other option. But I think protecting your rights and wishes in Jason's overall management trumps that risk. JMHO ;)

8. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

I tend to agree with Sarah.

I do not leave insulin or syringes at school. I point-blank asked Alexander if he wanted the nurse giving shots, or changing his site and he emphatically told me no way.

I'm just going to have to hope that nothing ever happens!

Also, this school nurse questions whether or not she can even give insulin, and states she needs another nurse to double check her dosing. She's not the brightest crayon in the box though.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

this is what I would do.. bring her some syringes, and a vial of insulin, have it written in his dr's orders that if there is a malfuntion that they are to call you first, you will give furthar instructions, and those furthar instructions are that you'll be there asap:D I would put that they are NOT TO GIVE AN INJECTION without speaking to you UNLESS is an emergency situation and they can't get ahold of you.

this way, the nurse has the syringes and insulin, but she can't do anything with them.. you still have control:)

10. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

You have already gotten great advice, so here is the smart-alecky response. Give her two syringes, without needles, but the cap on them to make them look like they are fine. Then if she ever asks you about them, say "Why? Were you going to give him a shot??" Since that would be the only way she would know--right?:D