- advertisement -

WWYD? Any dd tweens using the large MM pumps

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Getting ready to upgrade. Currently have the MM 522 (holds 180 units). Thinking about going to the 723 (holds 300 units --can also take the smaller cartriges.)

Looks like a little over a half inch difference.

From the Web site.

"How small is the Paradigm Revel Insulin Pump?

The Paradigm Revel Insulin Pump is about the size of a cell phone. The Paradigm Revel 523 Insulin Pump measures just 2 x 3.0 x 0.8 inches and the 723 model is about one half-inch longer in length (0.6 inch longer) -- exact dimensions are 2.0 x 3.6 x 0.8 inches."

WWYD for an 11 year old? Current TTD is 22 -30 units, but this will change with puberty. But i like how small the 522 is.:confused:

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh you're singing my song. I'm right in the middle of wondering the same thing. Ian will be 10 when we get his new pump and I like how small the 522 is now. How accurate is the insulin amount shown on the MM (like on the cozmo, even though I fill it to over 100 u it never accurately reflects what we really have left. The display will usually show about 20u less than we have in the cartridge at the time. If I had to decide based on what I see with our cozmo I'd say we're going to go with the larger, but if MM's insulin amount is actually accurate then I think we're safe.

3. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Our 10 yr old is in the same range, averaging about 27 units. We went with the 722.

Our provincial health plan covers a new insulin pump every 5 years and we figured that within that time we would probably need the larger size so we just went with it from the start. The size of it hasn't been an issue for us, he just clips it to the front of his pants.

So we've been happy with it, but I could also see the possibility of upgrading to a new improved pump before the 5 yrs so the larger size may not have been necessary.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

I've never paid attention to the display of how much is left so I don't know how accurate it is. I just look in the little window to see how much is actually in the resevoir.

I fill it with about 110u, which is more than enough for our typical 2 - 3 day periods. I tried completely filling the resevoir a couple of times, but found it got too complicated to keep track of so now I stick to changing the resevoir and the infustion set at the same time.

5. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Nate started pumping when he was 10, and his NDE at Joslin absolutely said to go with the larger one. At times, Nate was using 80 - 90 units of insulin per day and we were happy to have the bigger reservoir.

Just to be clear...the pump body itself isn't bigger...what's different is the reservoir neck that sticks out...it is longer. But the difference really isn't much. It never gets in his way and he doesn't feel he's carrying around something that is cumbersome.

Hope this helps....

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee is 7 and getting a new mm soon.. she is currently using the 522, we will be getting the 723 when we get a new one.. I've spoken to her cde about it and she agrees to get the 723.. since it can use the smaller reseveroirs (which we have 10months worth, I have NO IDEA how, but they are stacking up!) and Kaylee we have this next pump from 7.5 years -11.5 years.. and is currently using 20u a day.. its only going to go up.. I like having extra insulin in her pump for 'what ifs'.. I've seen a 722 and its not all that much bigger.. I think the only part that is bigger is the neck on the reseveroir.

7. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler started pumping at 11. We went with the MM 722 on the advice of the Endo and the Rep.
    With puberty coming, we were assured that we would be better off with the larger resevoir.

8. rare

rare Approved members

T's tdd is about 86u. He has the 722 but I wouldn't mind changing the reservoir more often if he had the smaller model. He's just not sticky so the sets and reservoirs never get changed at the same time.

9. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Here's a picture of the 522 vs the 722 for comparison. See how the reservoir neck on the bottom pump is a little longer than the top pump.

[​IMG]

10. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Our Revel 723 should be here any minute. :D:D I will let you know if DD approves since she is now using the 522. She does get tired of filling every night. We'll see...

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Looks a bit longer above the neck of the reseveroir too, where it says minimed/medtronic.. but over all, not that big of a difference.

12. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

OMG I love this site!!!!

OK 723 it is. Wow, I love this site and all of you on it! Thanks so much. (I really stress about decisions like this :eek: and it is so helpful to get support.) I would have been stressing until Friday.

Thanks Karen I didn't realize it was the resevoir section that sticks out.

Going with the larger unit. In addition to preparing for larger insulin needs, I have become a rabid primer. I examine the tuning and almost every moring I'm priming 2 -10 units to see if the little blip in the tubing is a mark or is a tiny bubble.

Michelle, I notice the discrepancy in what the pump says on is in the resevoir and what i've put in -- I just assume it is what is in the tubing.

Thank you all!

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I ditto what Leslie said - you guys are all awesome. :)

14. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Awesome...glad the info was helpful!

15. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Ab was 10 when she got her 722 and we rarely filled more than half of the resrvoir UNTIL LAST MONTH, when I now put about 230 units in the reservoir. That gets us to the end of the third day. Puberty happens.

16. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Hi Karen ---
    I think you made the right choice.

We got the Revel 723 today and are using it now. It is just a little bit bigger than our old 522. DD doesn't have a problem with it at all, and she's very sensitive to those kind of things.