- advertisement -

Wrestling with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by TitanDad, Nov 1, 2007.

1. TitanDad

TitanDad New Member

New to the site, new to the forums. Great site, great resource!

My 16 year old son, who is now a high school junior, was diagnosed right before his freshman year with type 1. Just yesterday, we went for the initial pump start and he's wearing it this week with saline.

He also found out his freshman year that he has a love for wrestling. He works hard at it and has been very successful. I want him to be as successful as possible (as would any parent!).

We have a rough time with a couple of aspects. One is managing weight while managing BG levels (no, we don't allow him to cut great amounts) and the other is dealing with blood sugars at the match.

Here's a typical scenario: everything looks great going into the match. BG levels are good-then the adrenaline rush hits. BG goes high. We try not to overcorrect and then comes the crash. He has run out of gas a few times during a match (darn it!).

It breaks my heart to see him lose, not because someone was better than him, but because his BG levels came into play.

Anyone dealing with this or have suggestions? Thanks so much!

Greg

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would not correct a high caused by adrenaline -- it will come down by itself after the exitement wears off.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Greg,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I wanted to say "welcome" to the forum!!! :)

4. 3js

3js Approved members

My son does jujitsu and ground fighting. We lower the am basal 20%, and he drinks gatorade or a bar prior/during. We still see the high after, but it is not the extreme high followed by a crash that was happening before we lowered the insulin.

5. blackbeltgirl66

blackbeltgirl66 New Member

Im in tae-kwon-do and the same thing happens to me all the time when im fighting il go really high and wont be able to go on. But iv found that if i try really hard that day before amatch to watch wht im eating (mostly eating longer lasting carbs) and keeping my blood sugars good then before i start tae-kwon-do il give myself an extra couple units of insulin right before i go out there. I also leave my pump on during this time...but i dont think you can do that in wrestling.:)

6. TonyCap

TonyCap Approved members

I've heard Cinnamon does a good job of keeping things stable.