- advertisement -

Wrestling and D

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cindyrn6617, Nov 7, 2010.

1. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

Ryan has a pump and dexcom....Does anyone have a child who wrestles and how do you manage it? Ryan wants to start next week, but wears his dexcom on his arm and pump sites on his legs.

2. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

My D son also starts wrestling this week, he has always worn his pump/CGM for all sports, but not sure how this will work out. My older non-D son wrestled last year, there was a boy w/ D on the team but he used shots. I am guessing the sites and the CGM might not fare too well. In 6th grade it is only 1x/week, so I just said we might have to replace every time he wrestles, no big deal. But next year practice/matches are 5-6x/week--figure we'll see how this year goes. But will be watching your post for replies/tips from others!

3. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

It seems like you need to talk to the coach about this. I would think that anything that would provide a "handle" or grip would be bad. He might need to switch to shots during the season. But my son doesn't wrestle, so I'd ask the coach.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Can you disconnect the pump just before he goes into the ... is it a ring? :eek: and slip like a sports band over his leg to cover the infusion set? And do something similar for the dex?

5. Emilyk1054

Emilyk1054 Approved members

6. irishmom

irishmom Approved members

Thogh we have not gotten to the pump point...not sure when that occurs..my son plays football and wrestles..and does track..he DOES NOT want the pump at all...he will start school wrestling at the end of the month...6 days a week....i know that during football season..which was also 5 days a week....he did not nearly need as much insulin as he has the past two weeks..though not sure if the honeymoon is over..the influenza took over for 5 days but we are very new to this and really trying to figure it out.....

Marcia

7. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Could you tape over the sites? At least for practice? We have done football, basketball, soccer, and taekwondo, with the Omnipod and Dexcom, but wrestling presents some unique challenges. Changing an infusion set might not be so bad, but sensors could get expensive. You could look into the "untethered" technique, where you take lantus for at least some of the basal, then disconnect for sports. I think there is a link from the homepage for CWD that explains it.

8. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I don't have a pumper who wrestles, but I was a HS wrestler and pump now, so that's the best I can do. :eek:

At first glance, if I'm being completely honest I would say it's going to be very difficult to pull this off. Wrestling is an extremely physically demanding sport where a tremendous amount of emphasis is placed on week-long conditioning and weight management. Be very careful that the coach understands that he cannot participate in activities designed to rapidly gain/lose weight in order to meet weight class requirements. It was not uncommon for us to do jumping jacks in full sweats while in the sauna in order to lose weight before a weigh-in. Then we'd weigh-in before a meet and go eat all we could to gain weight back. Those may be old-school practices that are no longer followed, but obviously it's not a safe practice for a CWD.

The grabbing, pulling, twisting, etc. that goes on all week long in addition to the meets is going to be very hard on a sensor, and I can't for the life of me think of a way to protect it from the direct contact and the constant sweat that could cause the tape to peel away. I've had some success covering my sensor with breathable medical tape secured by mastisol when I am out refereeing sports all weekend. That keeps the sweat from building up like it does with Tegaderm. Perhaps covering it with multiple layers of ACE bandaging in addition to the tape will protect it physically, but that's likely to block the signal while it's in place.

As far as the pump site goes, I'd highly recommend going with MDI during wrestling events/practice or just going MDI completely for the season. Covering up and re-covering a pump site over and over again is rarely successful as the tape will eventually take the site with it.

Best of luck!