- advertisement -

Wounded GI `cured' of diabetes

Discussion in 'Research' started by jet59or, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I think that's really intriguing. The big difference with him though is that he didn't lose his insulin production due to his immune system attack. They can be hopeful / confident that his system won't attack the new cells in the liver. We, unfortunately, can't be assured that our immune system won't attack the new cells growing in the liver!

3. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

True. It seems like the procedure works in PWD, but there are big differences - one being donated cadaver cells and then of course having to use anti-rejection drugs. I haven't heard much about the problem of the body attacking them in the liver, as much as just plain rejecting "foreign" cells. But I would like to know if that is the case. If they are not attacked such as they are in the pancreas, I'm wondering if you catch the diabetes early enough, if they can rescue the "working" beta cells immediately to try this procedure.