- advertisement -

Would you want someone to tell you if your diabetic teen was . . . .

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by schnoodle, Mar 4, 2013.

1. schnoodle

schnoodle Approved members

Would you want someone to tell you if your diabetic teen was . . . .

Drinking heavily with the goal of getting drunk, smoking weed on top of drinking.

Regardless of one's feelings surrounding weed it just seems like a bad idea to be experimenting with drinking, drugs, and (most likely sex) at the tender age of 16.

Is already thin and a low BMI but stating her goal was to lose 30 pounds.

What is the best way to let the parents know ?:confused::(:eek:

I am under the impression the parents know drinking is taking place but they picture the daughter as going to a wine and cheese party and drinking a negligible amount but it runs a lot deeper than that.

I have searched this forum regarding this topic and I found the topic was broached. I noticed that at least one parent pointed out that "teens don't drink because they like to experience the subtle taste of a microbrew or the bite of a good shot of whiskey. They drink because they like how it makes them feel, which is drunk."

This quote is dead on - teens drink to get drunk.

This girl seemingly has a good head on her shoulders but all of this seems like she is playing with fire. I believe type 1 diabetes and drinking do not mix. And eating disorders and diabetes are a deadly mix :(

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I think you should speak to the parents, but only about things that you (or your child) personally know for sure. If it is speculation or rumor, I wouldn't mention it. I would also be prepared for a blame the messenger kind of reaction.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What is your relationship to this teen?

Since it's your first post, I don't have a sense as to if you are a parent of a CWD or a peer of this person, or what...

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

If my child is ever doing anything dangerous/stupid/hazardous to their health, I want to know. I'd be upset if I found out someone knew and didn't tell me.

If you are sure this is happening, have first hand knowledge then definitely say something!

5. stewkimmom

stewkimmom Approved members

This. Absolutely.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I would want to know if either of my children were engaging in illlegal activity and were putting their futures and health at risk. Unless you have some relationship with diabetes, I wouldn't bring that into the conversation.

I would inform the parents of the actual facts you know and avoid judgment and knowledge regarding diabetes. You haven't shared your personal understanding of diabetes, so unless you are diabetic or the parent of a diabetic, I would steer clear of that part of the conversation.

Share facts and let the parents deal with it in their own way.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Smoking pot and drinking are illegal in the states for minors. That has nothing to do with Diabetes - that has to do with raising a teenager. I would let the parents know, but take the diabetes out of it. The child is exhibiting dangerous behaviors with or without it.

8. schnoodle

I have to be a little bit vague about the situation just to be safe. The thing that concerns me is that there is a big element of denial on the part of the parents. I don't know enough about eating disorders vs. normal 16 year old behaviour to distinguish but there was another incident that raised major flags about ED tendencies in this girl. And it was rationalized away with a very silly line of reasoning.

Maybe, it is normal for an already thin teen to say she wants to lose 30 pounds as a way of fishing for compliments. Really, I do not know but the girl also has a tumbler that set to private (I have access) but it is mostly thinspro / pro anorexia and has things like nothing tastes as good as thing feels re-blogged on it.

Tumbler is not supposed to allow pro anorexia posts but unfortunately has become a breeding ground for it. I am not sure whether or not to report the tumbler page so it gets taken down or if it is better to leave it up so that maybe the teen will come clean to her parents and they can have a better idea of how severe the issue is, and the fact that the teen is on the verge of an ED or is actively engaged in an ED

The drinking thing is similar in a way the parent knows she drinks on the weekend but he believes it is a minimal amount; as in 1 or 2 drinks. That is just not the typical drinking behaviour of 16 year olds. Really it is more like binge drinking in this case

I don't know if the parents knows about the weed or not.

If she is actively trying to lose weight (which is 100 percent unnecessary in her case) it shows teen naivety that she drinks heavily.

Alcohol is more calorie dense than any of the macronutrients besides fat, and most alcohol has extra calories from carbs on top of the calories from the alcohol http://www.nutristrategy.com/nutrition/calories.htm

I know that teens need to have some freedom, but they also need to have some boundaries at the same time. The parent actually justified the drinking (he believes it is light drinking) by saying that essentially all the other students at his DD's HS drink on the weekends

Judge Judy says that you know a teen is lying when their mouth is moving. Now Judy is a bit extreme, but how does one know how much or how little booze a teen has consumed based on observation. Isn't that the reason the police have devices to determine blood alcohol level ?

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

100% agree.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Tell the parents what you know. It is up to them how to handle it from there. You will have done the right thing and should leave the situation alone.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Should we take that to mean that you believe the parents to be members of CWD? If so, perhaps posting this is enough.

12. schnoodle

Maybe you are right Sarah, it is the pro anorexia stuff that is most alarming to me.

13. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I would tell the parents what you know, ie what you have direct knowledge of, and that's really all you can do. If and how they choose to act upon that is out of your control.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So the parents are members here? I think it is interesting that you came here to post all of this stuff. Why not just talk to them directly? Are you an adult, a teen? Do you have diabetes, do you have a child with diabetes? So many questions....

15. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

This all seems very odd.

To clarify, not the drinking/smoking...while unwise, it's not uncommon. The approach to informing or not, brought here...that's what seems odd.

16. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

17. Mish

Mish Approved members

If the teen is deliberately adjusting insulin to make herself lose weight that's another disorder called diabulimia. Look that one up.

I would suggest if you're THAT concerned and you have first hand knowledge, to pick up the phone and call the parents. What would you do if the child didn't have diabetes?