- advertisement -

Would you start pumping without pump classes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KRenee, May 9, 2011.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our MM rep did all of our training too. If your clinical rep is good, I wouldn't have a problem with you getting training from him/her. Otherwise, I would definitely not start on you own. (Not because I'm one that gives two craps about what our endo's office wants. Just because it is sometimes not the easiest transition, and it is good to have the MM rep and your endo's office to help troubleshoot.)

2. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

But your rates and ratios WILL change.. Pumping IS different than MDI, apidra is going to work a lot different than whatever you are using for a long acting right now..

I don't think you need to wait for the CDE/endo at your office but you really should use the MM rep, someone, to help.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It's great that you and your daughter feel comfortable with the pump, that will be a big help in the transition.

I would call MM and request in house training. Animas did it for us, it was great because it was one on one. Until then, I would get it out, and get familiar with all the bells and whistles. However, I know that I wouldn't hook up without some guidance from either MM or the endo. Your ratios and basals will be different. You'll be in touch daily reporting numbers. Changes will be based on those numbers.

Just something to think about.

You said your endo isn't very supportive, I'd say once you are settled in to pumping, look for an endo who works better with you.

5. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

When I got my pump nearly 13 years ago, the MM person dropped it off at my house, gave me some papers and left after about 40 minutes. That's all the "training" I had and things have been fine since.
    In fact ... I have never changed my basals from that day. It is different than MDI but I did not find it that much different or terribly difficult.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

What was true for MDI was NOT EVEN CLOSE for my son on pump. Not even close, and it was a painful and frustrating transition, one I would not personally have wanted to do without some backup help and support. My CDE listened to me rant and come close to tears more than once.

It's not something I would want to do without help, personally. It was difficult, and I was glad for me CDE who personally uses the same pump, teaching us tricks and helping set the more advanced features.

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm going to go against the grain and say if you feel confident then go for it. I know I had my basals all set before training and then when our trainer looked at the pump and looked at the dr's orders (which she had) everything matched. We had been 18 months or so into diabetes. You've been doing it for what, 3 years?

The only thing I needed training on was site insertion. That was just totally foreign to me and it wasn't really something I could learn by reading/video.

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

You probably still use the original pump too, huh? What do you have in there, pork insulin?

9. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

I felt the same way you do. But because I wasn't willing to buck the system and be looked on as uncooperative parent, we went through their hoops. The (2) classes were a collosal waste of time. What I did do, however, was to call the CDE in advance and petition to skip the saline trial. Not all practices even require that. The CDE was reluctant, because it went against protocol, but she gave provisional approval, with the caveat that if she, at the time of the start appointment, wasn't satisfied we were on top of everything, she would require an insulin trial. Thank goodness for a CDE with common sense! But everything went fine. We discussed initial settings, and the only thing she changed was lowering the basal a bit. As it turned out, dd went low on the way home, and we immediately did a minus temp basal. The problem was the carryover of Lantus that lasted a day, even though dd had not had a dose of Lantus in the previous 24 hours.

We took it from there and did our own adjustments. The only thing I would not have been comfortable with doing 100% on our own was learning to insert the site. There was a learning curve with that, and we wasted a few sites:rolleyes:. The mechanics were not a problem. And we preprogrammed the pump, even though we were officially supposed to wait.

In your situation, I would see if you could streamline the process a little, without going too much outside their protocol.

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We had the very same scenario. We freaked out and adjusted down the rates, only to readjust them up the next day! :) I think it's very helpful to actually fill a cartridge, check for bubbles, prime and insert a set with someone who knows what they are doing. Even then, we had many calls to Animas to get some tips on inserting better. Best of luck! BTW, we go to BDC as well and did go through the pump classes etc. We did the basal testing and adjustments on our own from the first day. We were required to send in the sheets daily for the first week and then weekly for around 2 months. I've always liked the fact that they figure we are the real experts with our own children and empower us to make changes ourselves.:)

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

If you can get the pump rep to come to your house and show you the insertion process (which was the scariest aspect of pumping for me) and can also get all the settings for ratios, iob, basals etc., you will need from your endo, I say "go for it".:cwds:

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

You also need to remember you're a grown adult. This is a child she's asking about, where things change constantly.. the pump isn't some magic tool where it just fixes all one you are plugged in.

13. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Never. TDD is not always the same from MDI to pump. We started with a 20% reduction of TDD. One daughter came in at high 100s like we wanted so we could adjust down. The other daughter's bg numbers ran on the low end of our MDI target range with a few mild lows. Would hate to know where that first low would have been if we didn't start conservatively. I'm also just a hands on learner. I appreciated the practice the saline trial offered for the pump and infusion sets. And we've still had two No Delivery alarms. One at 2:00am. I was glad I was studied up.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  14. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW
    Another adult and no my settings over time have not stayed the same. I did find using a short acting as my basal was not a straighforward switch from longer acting insulins. Also I found all the short acting insulins, humolog, novolog and apidra to require different settings in the pump. The change from MDI to pump involved changes, and all the settings are adjusted to some extent on a regular basis. It is less frequent as I get over fifty. No words of wisdom except to prepare for the worst in terms of a switch over and then if it is smooth be thankful. Good luck. ali

15. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

No way

There is no way I would pump without the classes.

Too much to learn and I wouldn't want to put my child at risk if I messed up.

16. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Once again, thank you for your responses. I've read them all and considered each one carefully.

17. Taz Monkey

Taz Monkey Approved members

After being on MDI for 18 years, I finally decided to jump on the Pump wagon :)
    I had emailed my CDE logs of every bg, carb and amount of insulin that had entered my body for 2 weeks, so she could figure out everything. When I got there, she found out that I had already played with my PDM, watched videos, read up, and googled everything having to do with an Omnipod that I could find. So we went straight to being live with insulin and didn't do saline. She felt I was technologically advanced enough to do it. When my Dexcom came from Fedex, I did it all myself :) after watching a few youtube videos of course.