- advertisement -

would you start pump and CGMS at the same time?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, Jan 25, 2008.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Did you, or would you, start both the pump (in our case, the MM522), and the CGMS that goes with it at the same time, or would you wait and get the pump established first and then add the CGMS?

Thanks!

2. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

We did ours sep. Being able to focus on only one new at a time was good for us. I think I might have been bogged down initially if we did both right away. We took our time and researched a lot for the CGMS and although it was a really easy start up I am still pleased that we did them seperately.
    Allene

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We actually opted to do the cgms first and then the pump, best choice we ever made! It made setting basals SOOOOOOOOO much easier and the worry about bad sites or incorrect basals was minimal. If I were you I would start both but if you only want to start one I would do the cgms first.

4. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

riley started both the same day and it was great. we read a lot beforehand and went through the CD that came with it and played around with the settings on the pump.
    the trainer said she had not done that before but she was ok with us doing it since we did our homework.
    it really helped having the CGM right away to alter the pump settings.
    i didn't think there was a huge learning curve with the CGM, other than inserting it, so it wasn't too bad.
    if you only want to start one at a time, i would probably recommend starting the CGM first so that when you start the pump you have a better picture of trends, etc. ( i believe that is what Mama2H's daughter did?)
    good luck,
    jessica

5. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

haha, guess she was writing at the same time as me

6. Nana

Nana Approved members

I think I would rather add CGMS later. I don't know, but just thinking about the time when I first started pumping... :eek: There would be too much new information and stuff. It would be easier to get used to the pump first and then add the CGMS. But maybe the CGMS from the beginning would be better for all the basal changes...

Sorry, I can't decide :D Both options have advantages and disadvantages.

7. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

did both at the same time both of us so glad i did but i also did a lot of research had pumps already programmed before start date just did quick review of information and started

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  8. semperwife

semperwife Approved members

I think I would start with the CGMS and then add the pump after a month or two... this gives you a good indication of what your baseline basals need to be based on your data off the CGMS.

Either which way you will be happy... just give yourself patience to start something new.

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Separate here. The trainer wanted me to be used to the pump first. But I was already on the pump before I started either.