- advertisement -

Would you send a letter to the parents?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Sep 3, 2009.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

or have you? If so, what would you say? My son is 3 years old and he started preschool today. He'll only be there 2 days a week 2 1/2 hours each day. There are 9 other children in his class. DH and I are still training the staff to check his BG, etc. The plan is for the teacher or another staff member to check Aiden's BG before snack and then any other time that they think he might be low. I guess I was thinking that since they are so young that the kids may be going home and talking about this. I was thinking that a letter would clear up any misconceptions. DH said he doesn't think it's necessary. Of course, I would ask the teacher and the director what they think. I was just curious if anyone has done this. I'm not sure how much the other kids in the class will understand, except there is one child in there that has an older brother with type 1.

Just wondering what your thoughts were? Thanks!:cwds:

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I would ask the teacher/director. If the other kids are being quite curious then it might help for you to come and give a short talk and/or do the letter. If no one seems to notice then I wouldn't worry about it. And you could ask your son what he thinks? He might prefer one or the other.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Depends on what you're trying to explain.

If I wanted to give a general "lesson" on diabetes itself, I might write up something. But it seems like what you're intending is to explain your situation, which IMO isn't necessary. I don't think parents need to be notified of other children's medical conditions. It almost seems like you're worried that some kids might talk, and their parents will come in demanding an explanation. Am I reading too much into it?

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wouldn't explain to the other parents. The teachers are the ones who need to know.

When another parent asks, I answer their questions.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I didn't last year. I think the teacher may have said something just because at the first party, everyone was asked to provide me with nutrition labels and or recipes so I could figure out carb counts.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I bet the other kids don't even notice and if they do, the teachers can just say "he has diabetes, this is what we do to make sure he's healthy". At this age, unless someone is feeding the kids misconceptions, they will simply learn by watching, that diabetes is really just part of life and it doesn't make Aiden any different. :)

I hope he really enjoys school too!!!

7. aidensmom

Ok, thanks! I guess we'll just leave it and see how things go. I guess I was just worried about the kids telling their parents about the finger prick/blood and thought it would be good for them to know, but I'm probably just thinking about it too much. The teacher will probably just tell the kids something simple and it will be no big deal.

Parents do provide the snacks for everyone to share, so we just thought we'd stick around in the morning to see what it is and figure out approx how much he should have of whatever it is.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You may be over thinking it a little. I would not send a letter, the people who really need to know about it are the school personnel. If little Jimmy comes home and tells their parent something that concerns them they will probably contact the school. If you have educated the school properly, they will be able to answer the questions/concerns posed by the parent. Just my 2 cents. :cwds:

9. aidensmom

I knew I could count on you guys to set me straight :) I guess I'm just worrying a bit much and overthinking things. Thanks again!

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hey, at least you are thinking!! ;) :cwds:

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hey, I'm going through this whole period of thinking it's nobody's business that Ian has diabetes. so....take that for what it's worth LOL. (which is a total reversal to when he was first dx and I felt the need to tell everyone and their brother and even the checkout girl)

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I did send a letter home last year when Jack was in preschool. It was just a, "Hey, I talked to your child's class today about the fact that Jack has diabetes" sort of thing. I included some basic info on type 1 and encouraged anyone to ask me questions. I had planned to do a similar letter this year (kindergarten), but the principal gently discouraged me. She felt like it might make Jack stand out more than he already does. I ended up not sending the letter (I did talk to his class), but I can't decide if I'm happy about that or not.

13. aidensmom

I guess I haven't gotten to that phase yet, but probably a good place to try to get. I guess I'm still thinking the more people that can be educated the better, but I'm not sure anyone really pays attention. The other day a complete stranger said hello to Aiden and he said hi back then proceeded to say "I have diabetes" so I guess he wants to share. I thought it was kinda funny b/c he never really talks about it. We just do what we do and go on.

14. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma shares a lot too - sometimes she shares with kids (i.e. 4 and 5 years old) and I have to say "She doesn't know what that means, honey"

15. coni

coni Approved members

We sent a letter to the parents when our daughter was diagnosed at three years old and every beginning of the school year after that until she turned seven this year. I think we got the letter off the CWD website and adjusted it to our needs. We stopped sending the letter because she's old enough now to explain diabetes to others in detail if she wants to.

We explained Type I and what the students might witness in the classroom, mainly the BG test. The main question from the kids to their parents was whether our daughter was going to die (because she has die-abetes) and whether it would go away. I think the letter, in our situation, was worth it.

You know the situation your child is in the best. Our approach was to be open and to educate, but it might not work in all situations.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

16. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

We trained T's preschool staff yesterday and talked about this very thing. Pros and cons to this for sure. One thing the Director said in support of a letter is that it may help to put into context for parents something their child say to them like "T gets to have juice boxes in gym" or "T get to eat a lot of snacks" or make a reference to "blood" in the class room.

At first I thought sending a letter was the "right" thing to do but now I'm not 100% sure. DH is leaving it up to me. The perspectives here are good to read.

17. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

I wouldn't do a letter but if the kids are curious maybe have a talk with the class. Explain as best you can to a class of 3yr olds :D can't hurt!