- advertisement -

Would you let him go?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mistyz, Dec 5, 2011.

1. mistyz

mistyz Approved members

The school is having a movie night next Thursday. They have a minimum day and so right after school from 12:45-2:45, all the kids can lay around in the multipurpose room and will watch Polar Express and have hot chocolate and popcorn. There will be probably one teacher and 3 parent chaperones. I won't be able to chaperone this one as I do daycare and can't get out of it that day.
    Would you let your 7 yr old go to this? My husband thinks if I come down and check him right before, that he should be fine for 2 hours as he will be having snacks. I just stress about him dropping out of nowhere. I can let the teacher and parent chaperones know, but it's not like they are going to be able to keep their eye on him only, you know? There will be a ton of kids.

Just wondering, WWYD?

2. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

How independent is your CWD? Can he bolus himself for the snacks if you give him a carb count? (maybe you could tell him the # of carbs in a bowl of popcorn or cup of hot chocolate when you go to check him?) Can he test himself? Could he test and treat if he felt low, or get an adult to help him?
    In my opinion it depends on the kid and how comfortable you and him would be with him being somewhat responsible for himself for an afternoon.

3. mistyz

mistyz Approved members

No way...none of that. He is 7, but was only diagnosed on 11/17...a few weeks ago. :/

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Who takes care of him while he's at school now? Are you in a public school?

5. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

I would let him go, but offer to send snacks for him instead, such as a sugar free drink and pre-meassured bag of popcorn, or maybe even a free snack of some kind.

6. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Yes, let him go and have fun with his friends! It's natural for you to be worried, the 1st everything after diagnosis is scary...but it's important not to let D get in his way. Your little guy has to deal with this forever, that sucks all by itself - it'll just suck even more if he is made to believe that it will get in his way and prevent him from doing things.

Give the adults a heads up that he has D, ask them to keep an eye out, give them your phone number and then try not to worry. He'll be fine, he'll have a great time and it will be a little easier for you the next time...and the time after that...and the time after that, I promise!

I hope he enjoys the movie - no doubt he'll enjoy the special time treat with his school buddies :)

7. buggle

buggle Approved members

If you can possibly find a way to feel comfortable enough to let him go, I'd do it. It's really important when they're first dx'd to feel like diabetes isn't taking away normal activities from them. But I completely understand you feeling jittery about it this early on and with such a young kid. If you prep the teacher and the other parents what to watch for and you check him right before, he should be ok.

8. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Gosh...as someone 5 months into this....I didn't want Daniel to move/run/play because I was afraid of everything those first few weeks, I problaby could not be convinced to let my son do anything...But that is the hardest part letting go and feeling secure with the people whose hands his in......Check ahead the popcorn and hot chocolate they are using(know carbs ahead of time for the serving)..then if you'll know he'll eat and drink that and you go to check, just bolus him and make sure teacher knows once he has his insulin he needs to eat and drink. If you need reassurance, have him get checked any hour after and see how numbers are running and they can just let you know.. But listen to the other parents..I know now how important it is for our kids to be as normal as the rest.

9. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

If it is a school event, they have to provide someone trained to care for him.

10. MamaLibby

Oh sorry, I just saw he's on shots. that does complicate things, since he probably wouldn't be able to dose himself. :confused:

11. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

If you would have let him go before his diagnosis, then you should let him go now.

Who helps him during a regular school day? That person should be there during this day. Just because the activity is different doesn't make it any less a school day, especially since it is, in fact, at the school and during regular school hours, so all of the "rules" would still apply.

I hope he enjoys the movie, it's one of my favorites.:)

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This^ and...

Without question, I would send my kid to this. Why wouldn't he be ok? Worst thing I can imagine is that he'd be high after from snacking - big deal, he survive and you'll correct if needed. ;)

He'll be fine :cwds: and at 7 you can start to encourage him to begin to learn to test himself ( not force him for this event, just let him know that being able to check his bg will make it easier for him to do various activities. Not tomorrow, just in the future)

As much as we want to bubble wrap them, we just can't :cwds:

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

I definitely think you should let him go. His carb ratio is 1:30. I suggest letting him have the popcorn with no bolus, that way you do not have to worry about him dropping low. It takes a whole LOT of popcorn to equal 30 grams. I doubt if they will be getting that much. Instead of the hot chocolate perhaps you could send a sugar free drink with him as a substitute. Let us know how he does! :)

14. MamaLibby

This!!! Thank you for saying what I should've said! :)

15. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I would absolutely let him go. My daughter was 8 when diagnosed and I didn't let it stop her. She went straight from school to girl scouts on her own (held in the school) after school almost immediately after her diagnosis. The leader had some basic knowledge on what to look for with lows and had my cell number in case of a question. But other than that, she was on her own. We never encountered any problems.
    If popcorn is involved, I would probably just let him eat it uncovered with no insulin. Maybe send a diet drink so you don't have to worry about bolusing for it.
    You can definitely make this work and you will have to make it work eventually. This sounds like an easy way to ease in to it.
    He will have a great time!

edited to add: do you have a cell phone he can bring? Would he know how to use it? Does he check his own blood sugar? Could he check right after school so you atleast have a feel for where he is at?