- advertisement -

Would you call Animas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yesterday we were doing a site change on our Animas Ping. It is only 1 year old. Got it in April 2012. We did not need a battery change so we did not do it. A little while after doing the site change the the pump beeped and time and insulin was at zero it was asking to confirm time which was now set at 12am and lost the year, now at 2007.
    I thought the internal battery must be gone for it to do that? But the pump is only a year old?? Today I pulled the battery for about 15 sec. and it did not lose the time. Not sure if I should bother calling Animas. Do they send new or refurb pumps

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would. And I would insist on a factory new pump.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I would call.

Also, what's the deal with refurbished vs new? 1. How can you tell which is which? 2. How do you suppose the manufacturer decides which to ship out?

I haven't thought much about this, obviously :p But we are awaiting a replacement pump on Wed ( blasted long weekend) for dd's minimed which sustained a "button error" yesterday, so now I'm curious as to which we'll get and how I would even know...date of manufacture I suppose??

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

The packaging, it will be in a plain brown box if it is refurbished. If it is new it will be in the normal colorful box. At least that is how it used to be, I haven't gotten a replacement pump in awhile.

What you get basically depends on what they have available. Recently they only had brand new clear pumps available for replacements. You can then switch it out for your preferred color once they have them available.

I personally don't have an opinion on new vs. refurbished. I like getting new though because it comes with the clips and I like having extra of those in case I break them.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Make sure all your caps were tight - insulin cap and battery cap. We found if the battery cap was loose, it would do that resetting of the date and time. I don't every coordinate changing a battery with a site change - I don't even check it. When it beeps to change it, we change it. So, if you loosened the battery cap, that could have caused the loss of data if you didn't tighten it sufficiently.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

They are sending a new pump. They said it should never reset date and time until the internal battery is failed or failing. It should only lose the IOB and amount of insulin in cartridge when battery is changed. Which is how Animas pumps work.

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We switched back from Animas to Cozmo and I restarted the Vibe after a month in the drawer. It was back to no time/date setting BUT the default date was 2000 -do we have really old software???

8. Beach bum

So the big question is: are you getting a rehabbed one or factory new?

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Then I don't think we've ever gotten a NIB replacement pump. Not from Cozmo, not from MM.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has been on Animas for 6 years and has had a few replacements and a few new pumps.

They all were of the same quality -- new or refurbished.

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've had quite a few replacment pumps from animas, all came in plain brown boxes and all worked fine...

Honestly I wouldn't care personally, if it works I'll use it, and if it breaks they'll replace it again=D

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

They said new. The ones we had gotten in the past from them looked new. Not sure if has always been that way when we were on other brands. My real question should I have even bothered. When I loosed the cap the date and time wasn't lost the next day

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am pretty sure they wouldn't waste the new pump packaging on a pump that was a replacement. The brown box works fine.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I don't mean the box. The replacements are just plain white boxes to us. I mean the pump itself has always looked new when I get them and never had a problem with them. I was more curious if I really had a problem with existing pump to call about. I think this thread got off on "if the pump replacement was new", but that was not my real concern just if the pump I had if the problem was bad enough to call in.

15. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

It's a medical device that presents a threat to life if it fails - ALWAYS call. Let Animas make the decision as to its importance.

Sometimes our call is the first info they get as to a potential "bug" for many users or an impending failure of the single unit.

16. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

We have busted our fair share (and then some). My thoughts too. As long as it passes all the inspections, new / refurb. no difference.

17. Beach bum

I thought it was new this April, that's why I originally said, factory new. In that case, I'd just want a replacement that has passed their inspections.

We've had our share of replacements over the years, and other than one (which had to be sent back a week later for an issue), they have all performed exactly as they should have. And, we've always gotten the replacement within a timely fashion.