- advertisement -

Would LOVe to be on contact with parents from ONTARIO, on this forum.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Serenia, Jul 21, 2012.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

I was just wondering if the camp he is attending is a diabetes camp or a regular camp?

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

regular bc there is no diabetes day camp's in the GTA

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I have to agree we are super backward in many ways

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

As sad as it is it will probably take a kid dying of hypoglycemia for anyone to stand up and take notice. The reason sick kid?s in Toronto told them that the school?s will not do it - period full stop - is bc they won?t. Type 1 is more prevalent among school aged children than it is the USA, but even the super proactive parents seem to eventually accept that the schools won?t do it and move on rather than fight.

Up until recently it was really easy for members of the public to take matters before the human rights commission but no one bothered to do so when it came to this issue. Now they have made the process harder for an average person to embark on.

People can be mad at me for saying this but culturally and societally Canadians are just much more likely to accept things for what they are and move on, and not fight. Take for example the issue of the pictures of the kid?s with medical issues being posted on the wall at school. Can you say WTF ? Different example but my nephew?s year book came home and one of the classes was called "autism class" as opposed to Mrs. X?s like all the other classes.

Sorry this was a rant, but I just wanted to point out that yes we have privacy law and yes we have human rights legislation, but in some cases they are disregarded

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

I'm sorry to hear that c6h (sorry I don't know your name too:eek:).

To the original poster, if it isn't a d camp who sees to his needs while he is there? For someone so newly diagnosed that is a bold move.

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I know 10 is young, but honestly no one is going to see to your needs in college , or as an adult , or when you get a job at Quizno?s at 15.

I guess I am kind of on the fence on the issue but I think part of the schools? thinking is a touch love approach.

I could be wrong but I don?t think besides academic accommodation even college?s in the US see to a student?s needs in terms of glucagon. So if a college student blacks out from a low it becomes a situation where they are waiting for paramedics to arrive. The arrival of paramedics might even be slowed bc a lot of colleges have emergency first response teams comprised of students who indeed will not have glucagon or IV D5W.

Just as a side note paramedics in Ontario do carry glucagon and IV D5W, but are trained to start IV D5W. The only problem with this is a paramedic statistically will have very little experience starting a line on a child -compared to say an ER nurse. This is going to going to delay the time in which the child gets treatment, bc the IM injection of glucagon takes no time at all in comparison.

This is a reason why school staff should inject glucagon bc the child could receive treatment almost immediately.

Also as a side note it is better to use the syringe that comes with the glucagon to inject it. The viscosity / thickness of the glucagon is not designed for an insulin syringe. The glucagon kit is approved by the FDA and health Canada as is. Insulin syringes say for insulin use only for a reason. Ask you endo and CDE they will confirm this to be the case.

7. MomTo4Girls

MomTo4Girls Approved members

Hey Serenia, a balanced day is where they have two lunches essentially. It is the way the peel board does it. It is one lunch and recess at 10:30 and another at 12:40 at our school :)

Oh and York University does run a sports camp for kids with D but it was too far for me to drag my other 3 girls to every day. We are going to family camp at camp Huronda this year. We are all really looking forward to it!

What I do with my daughter is label the lunch and snacks ie: 1, 2, 3. That way she won't eat more than she is supposed to at any one meal.

Do you have specific carb allowances per meal? I found that long acting insulin was so hard to get right! It made it so that we would have to eat at such precise times or else she would go low :(

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

My daughter was in day camp (which it sounds like the OP's son is) 2 months after dx. I had to work. She was also on NPH like OP's son, so as long as she ate on time, she was generally ok. She was feeling her lows, had a cell phone to call me, and I stayed at camp the first 2 days to train her counselors. I probably had a totally different set of instructions than the OP, though. And by that time, I knew how to adjust her insulin on my own.

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

We never did NPH so I am not familiar with how that goes, but one month after Dx I was still a basket case lol. Of course Hailey was only four so maybe that is also a big difference. I can see how being ten factors in especially if your kid is super compliant. There have to be highs and lows to deal with and testing though, right?

10. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

You could try calling them from home. I found these numbers for Toronto on their website
    http://www.diabetes.ca/get-involved/contact-entry/regional-offices5/

Joan Patch, Coordinator, Public Programs and Services T: 416-408-7151
    Elizabeth Cabral, Coordinator, Public Programs and Services T: 416-408-7140

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Wow. I was just looking at your blog and the links... do you really have 21 Blogs?

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not saying that. I think the thing that kind of threw me was having a wall full of pictures of kids with medical issues. So wrong on so many levels. Maybe it works for them, it is just something that I am not used to seeing here.

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

They do this here honest. at least where I went to hs they were not meant to be visible to the public though. But if you had occasion to go into the learning resource office for a meeting or something you saw them

14. Deal

Deal Approved members

You can opt out. The reasons they do it are obvious and by that I don't mean some American left winged stereotype of Canadians. I allow it, I'm not ashamed my child has diabetes, nor do I want him to be. The more we educate those around us the safer our children will be.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  15. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Deal......How do I figure out what Wing I am? I mean, I am a righty, so does that mean I am a Right Wing? But I play guitar with my left hand, so am I Left Wing? It is so confusing. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  16. jozic

jozic Approved members

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

If you think the school has any moral or ethical obligation to do anything besides call 911 when your kid is lying on the floor unconscious I take it that makes you are right wing?

The fact is schools in Ontario have no obligation to do anything for kids with diabetes in school. I know a family who was told their 3 year old would just have to figure out how to care for herself and if they didn't like it well too bad so sad. How is that acceptable ? And how is it that no one has done anything to try and challenge this? A lot of the stereotypes have a measure of truth to them.

How can something that violates human rights legislation be allowed to go on year after year and no one does anything but twiddle their thumbs ? something is wrong here .

The fact of the matter is your child could die because no one at school will give glucagon period full stop.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  18. Deal

Deal Approved members

All I can say is that I read your response a few times but can't determine what point/points it is you are trying to make/defend/support. I get that you are frustrated with the lack of supportive legislation in Ontario. Have you talked to your representative about it. What did they say?

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Well since your response is just intended to be demeaning I will respond in a similar way. I have read your signature a few times and just can?t figure out why you subject your child to and insulin that is circa 1939. If a child had cancer there would be a huge outcry if they were subjected to 1940?s treatment, but I guess bc the child has diabetes it is somehow okay

Unlike many people who will be angry about my post I?ve had the misfortune of being subjected to NPH and I consider it to boarder on child abuse.

And btw i can find many many many journal articles that say lantus levimir or csii have superior treatment outcomes than NPH (including in terms of quality of life). Can you find even one that says NPH is a superior treatment option than lantus levimir or csii ??

20. MomTo4Girls

MomTo4Girls Approved members

Wow. That comes across harsh. While I know we can fight our best fight to change it, this is our reality. Our children go to school where no one knows how to use glucagon but everyone knows how to use an epi-pen....

Serenia, sorry this post seems to have been derailed a bit. I would love for you to keep in contact with me as a fellow Mom of a CWD in Ontario :)