- advertisement -

Worst Endo Appt. Ever

Discussion in 'Teens' started by malyssa, May 12, 2009.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Well, I had my endo appointment today, if you wish to call it that...I forgot my meter at home, so he wouldn't really see me, or take an A1c. And I've been on Lantus for about a month now because of some pump problems, which he hated. And I told him that my Animas pump will be here Friday (we did the Cozmo-Animas swap thing) and he freaked out. He doesn't want me on any other pump but MM. Thats it.

Here's a play by play of what happened...
    He walks in "You're going to have to reschedule your appointment because you forgot your meter. Oh, and you know about the transition. Since you're 18 now I'm moving you to an adult endo."

My mom "I thought you kept patients through college?"

Endo "Well we usually do, but with the practice moving I can't keep all teens. It's not a big deal. She's good."

I start crying because I just moved to him in September because I had endo problems...and now he walks in assuming I knew this?? :confused::(:mad:

Then he asked why I was crying...and then told me I was irresponsible for making insulin adjustments on my own, and for forgetting my meter. And then he asked me why I didn't stay on MM pump, and I told him it was because the other pumps have features that I personally like better, and I was on Dexcom now and that is going to be integrated with Animas in the future. He told me those weren't good reasons and he wants me on MM pump. So after I start crying he asks me why I am so upset about switching to an adult endo...and I told him because I know I won't get the care I do now, and they know/deal with more type 2 than type 1, which is totally different. So he said he'd keep me for a little longer as long as I'm not a pain...which to him is having an A1c above 7, and being on any other pump other than MM and making adjustments without checking with him first. All of this he tells me after he told me I was irresponsible and that I need to grow up and take care of myself. I'm mad, and extremely upset right now. His PA walked out and slammed the door on him while he was talking to me because she got upset about how he was treating me. She apologized and told me he's just in a bad mood, and not to be upset, but I can't help but be upset. He hurt my feelings, and instead of supporting me and trying to help me gain back control over my numbers, he just freaked out and made me go on MM pump as soon as I got home.

I'm so sad...and now I have to go back next Tuesday. I really don't want to go. I don't like how I was treated, and I'm already really nervous about the appointment. :( I don't want to see him again. I know I probably sound like an idiot saying that, but he really upset me...I mean, I can't even describe to you what that conversation made me feel like. I'm just...Idk. I just thought an endo and his team were supposed to be there to help and support you, help you figure out how to fix a problem should one ever arise.

Sorry about the vent guys...I just don't understand.
    I didn't know I wasn't allowed to make adjustments, and I never forget my meter, just this once I forgot it, first time since dx. :(

Just needed to get that out. :(

2. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Wow Malyssa, that endo sounds like a real jerk. I would personally be happy to be leaving him!

I am sorry he treated you with such disrespect. (((Hug)))

If it means anything, I go to an 'adult' Endo as well. He treats mostly Type 1's, and is just as knowledgeable if not more knowledgeable then my Ped Endo was.

3. DListMom

DListMom Approved members

Wow! You do not deserve that kind of treatment. Your endo is insensitive and discriminatory. You should be able to make adjustments (and yes convey it changes to your endo). Afterall - you know your body better than anyone else! As for forgetting your meter? Well, who hasn't? That's not a reason not to see you. At least he should have done the A1c and talked to you about what's been going on since you last saw him.
    Honestly, I would be glad if you could speak to someone in that hospital regarding the treatment you received and actually move on to another endo.
    If you're not comfortable with your doctor, he's not the right one for you. The way he sounds, he's not for anybody.
    Call it in and speak to someone in the hospital who can make decisions.
    I would definitely switch!

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Wow, I'd be upset too! I wouldn't necessarily assume all endos don't know about T1 - most T2's don't even see an endo, most usually just see a GP.. possibly an internist. I'm pretty sure my endo office has far more patients with other endocrine issues than D patients.

I've also "fired" doctors for less than what you've just gone though - I'd definitely be looking for a new one!

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

:eek: I don't really know what to say.

<hug> I'm sorry you had such a bad appointment. If I were you I would definitely move up, and as fast as possible! He sounds like a jerk.

I can't believe he doesn't want you to adjust your own insulin!! :mad: My doctor has been letting me do that since like.. 1 month after dx... Seriously, you know your own D much better than he does!

Come on here and vent as much as you like. :( Hope you're feeling better today.

6. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Wow, that does sound horrible Malyssa! I would never put up with a doctor treating me that way. If he continues to be like that I would seriously consider finding a new endo.
    I have forgotten my meter when I've been to the endo. You get there and it's like "Duh!":p so, you are not the only one.
    I hope that the animas works out for you better than your other pumps did. Are you going to use a ping? You are probably the only person here that has used just about all (did you really use all?) the major pumps:rolleyes::p;)? Anyways, good luck Malyssa:)

7. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Thanks everyone. It really was just an overall horrible appointment. He really hurt my feelings yesterday, and I was just really upset for the rest of the day. I still kind of am, ya know? :( I am definitely switching endo's after my appointment Tuesday, once we find the right one.

I have been adjusting my own insulin ever since I've been on my pump, Emm, so I totally don't get it!? My CDE (from my old endo who I disliked very much) who left taught me how to do everything, and she got me comfortable and wanted me to make my own adjustments, so comming from that, I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to change things. She was the best ever.

Yes, Kier, I have used them all; MM, OmniPod, Cozmo, and I will have my Ping Friday, but I'm not allowed to use the Ping. :(:(:( He told me I'm not allowed to use any pump but the MM. And when I asked about using the Ping if my MM ever failed, he said no. He said I have to use the MM and for backup use only Lantus. :eek:

I thought Endo's weren't supposed to recommend pumps. You think he'd support my choices...and even when I asked him about trying out Apidra a few appts ago he said no because his patients use Novolog or Humalog. And I can't use Humalog because I had a reaction to it. All I asked is if could try it out to see if it would help with my breakfast spike...Idk.

I can't wait for a new endo...this is why I want to be one!!!!!! Because of one's like the two I've had! :eek:

8. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Question: If it is YOUR pump and YOU own it, right?, then how can he tell you you are not allowed to use it:eek:? I don't understand it? I would use it anyways.
    1. It's yours.
    2. You are an adult. He can't tell you what to do.

But hey that is just me:rolleyes:

9. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

(((hugs))) Oh. My. Word. What a jerk!! He can't tell you which pump to use! Especially if you have it. Your pumps. Your life. Not his. I hope you find a good adult endo.

10. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Wow, that sounds ridiculous. About the pump craziness- how did you get this far before he through a fit? They have to sign the rx for it, so how in the world did it even get this far. You are paying him- he works for you. The decision is up to you in the end. After that appointment I agree that a new endo is in order. Ask around at JDRF or see if your pedi could reccomend someone.

11. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Oh, I'm planning on it. After my appointment on Tuesday I'm switching to it. Ya know I started to like the MM again, but then the same thing happened and I started having lots of problems. Great pump- not for me though. Loved my Cozmo, but we can't get supplies anymore...so Animas was my only choice, because I'm not doing OmniPod again.

That's what I was thinking. I don't understand how he can just say I can't use it? Does he honestly think that by talking to me like that, that I'm going to listen to him? :confused: He just made me so upset. I couldn't believe it.

The PA signed it. She told me I can go on it, and she'll talk to him. But either way, I need to get out of there. We found an adult endo who is highly recommended by old endo's partner (who I wish I could have went to). He's an adult endo, but deals mostly with type 1 and he knows about pumps. All of the adult endo's Ive heard about and talk to don't even know what to do with pumps, so this might be a good thing. We are going to meet him soon, hopefully.

Thanks everyone. You guys made me feel a lot better. :cwds:

12. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Lol thats what my np does for me- oh he doesn't want to sign for it; i will.-
    It sounds like you have a good plan :cwds:

13. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Lol. Pa's and Np's are just the best!

14. Leah

Leah Approved members

Malyssa,

Your endo. was definatley a jerk & control-freak!:eek:I'm sooooo sorry.:( My doc. has D, and he's really nice. I've been making adjustments since i was 8. Anyway, i hope that your new endo is better than your last!!!