- advertisement -

Worse before better?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KylorsMom, Apr 7, 2013.

1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

To the OP: Count me as another vote for the Delica. Easily available at chain drug stores, and often on sale.

To Greenpalm: Just curious (sorry if I missed it) as to why your daughter can't go to GS camp?

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Wow, I wish our hospital had done that. My daughter had to use that hospital finger guillotine they call a lancer. We didn't get another one until she got her own meter the day before we went home. And she hates change, so she was very reluctant to use the new lancer.

I got her the Delica after a few years, and it was like some kind of epiphany. The girl who hates change got rid of her old lancer after the first fingerstick with the Delica.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Same here, those awful hospital lancets! The worst. :mad: No choice at dx at Yale - and we didn't know at the time to ask.

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

DS was 7 at dx, so I'm not sure how much help this will be...but if you can somehow help him feel like he's in control, like let him pick which finger to prick, even let him push the button, let him decide where the shot goes, etc. Those things might help. He probably feels out of control, and doesnt' understand what has happened. Not testing is obviously not a good choice, but he has 10 fingers (and 10 toes) to choose from. There are some decisions he CAN make, and if you focus on telling him yes instead of no, he'll probably deal with it a lot better.

Good luck! Hope this helps.

5. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

Someone else mentioned videos online; I forgot to mention that was a big turning point with our son early on. His dad found some videos online of other young kids talking about having diabetes, showing how they test their fingers, how they get shots... and Grady watched it all almost without blinking. You could hear a pin drop. We could really see that he felt that he was now part of a community, instead of alone.. the relief in knowing there are other kids like him.

Worth a try!

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Great idea!

7. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

Yes, that was me. It's helped so much. Lately I've been showing her videos of kids (and some cheerful grown ups) using a Dexcom because I want her to have some exposure to the idea, before she gets hers.

I always watch the videos first to make sure there aren't any unpleasant surprises. I am all about spin control!

8. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

My 9 yr old was just dx 2 weeks ago. We got the JDRF backpack in the hospital that came with the nano and the lancer (fastclix) and she refuses to use anything else. We were fortunate that they allowed her to use the fastclix in the hospital even, they just tested with their glucose monitor. We are using a freestyle lite monitor though. The lancer doesn't really make a difference as far as what meter you're using. And the fastclix lancets are around $12/box at Wal-mart (which is HALF the price that I found them at Walgreens or CVS), so even if your insurance doesn't cover them it's not TOO Terrible expensive.

Our insurance copays are $30/30 days but they won't allow for more than a 30 day supply and so we were only able to get 1 box of freestyle lancets (because it's what came with the meter) which ended up being a 16 days supply and even with the insurance it was almost $12 and she won't even use them. (One of those "I wish I would have known..." scenarios. Because I would have not bought the freestyle lancets). We also got some samples of BD lancets that have a 33 gauge tip which is SUPER thin! I was reading and the freestyle lancets are 28 gauge and do tend to hurt a little more (I did it on myself). The higher the number the smaller the tip.

As far as the injections go, we are still struggling with that. She is older so she doesn't kick and scream or run and hide, but she does do a lot of complaining. (which is fine) They had given her the BD ultrafine (31 gauge) short needle (8mm)syringes in the hospital, but when I went to the pharmacy they didn't carry them. I had to go and do some internet research to tell the pharmacy what to order because they didn't carry any syringes with 1/2 unit markings and the pharmacist said she had never seen them. I guess BD has changed their short needles to a 6mm length now and DD tolerates them much better.

9. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

I had the same problem with the half unit syringes. Her endo ordered them and my husband picked them up, and when he brought them home, they were exactly the same as the others we already had. Got to go back and ask again.