- advertisement -

Working or stay-at-home parents

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danismom79, Jul 24, 2008.

?

I am a

1. Stay-at-home-mom/dad, specifically to care for my d child(ren)

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Stay-at-home-mom/dad, not specifically to care for my d child(ren)

35 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. Work-at-home-mom/dad, specifically to care for my d child(ren)

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Work-at-home-mom/dad, not specifically to care for my d child(ren)

10 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. I work outside the home, part-time

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. I work outside the home, full-time

31 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Stay-at-home wasn't meant to be a synonym for "non-working," I just wanted to make the title shorter.
    And by work-at-home, I mean people who earn income at home.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

I Stay at home and have been at home since Molly was born. It was my decision before D.

3. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I've been a SAHM for the past 9 years. Well, last year I worked some. This year, however, all kids will be in school, so I will sub until I get a full-time teaching job.

Kylie was just dx so that wasn't the reason, but I'm sure glad I didn't have to work when she first came home!!

4. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

oops I just realized this was a poll:rolleyes:

5. tiffanie1717

Oops. Me, too. It wasn't when I opened it.

6. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

Im a full time working and full time D care. But my job is so flexible I can leave when I want to.

7. danismom79

Geez you guys are quick! I was still editing the post. :)

8. tiffanie1717

:D We're just sitting here in anticipation of new threads! :) HAHA

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I worked for 12 years - until my oldest was in 1st grade and my middle in preschool and then I quit work. Have been home ever since - although I probably should have checked "work at home", since my job is to homeschool the kids and do two volunteer roles, that are both sometimes time intensive

10. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Well, I was a work from home (eBay) Mommy before dx and now I am just a stay at home Mommy! :D

I put my ebay business on hold when Emma was diagnosed to learn "all things diabetes" with the intention of getting back at it in a month or so. Needless to say, I am still learning! I found this website and find all the info so helpful (and addicting)! I cannot seem to get back to work. I have pretty much made managing Emma's diabetes my job right now. My husband keeps saying, "Are you ever going to get back to eBaying?" and I just tell him it will be there when I am ready. :D Maybe when school starts back but soon after that she will be starting the pump and then there will be a whole new world to learn so who knows...

11. danismom79

That's why I kept editing to try to get the wording right. I know being home with kids full-time is work. I only did it until I graduated college (my daughter was 3).

12. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I started staying home and homeschooling - leaving a full time job - in 2001. I work at home very part time to earn extra, but don't make enough to support anyone! So I was already here when this hit.

13. Kristalfrissy

Kristalfrissy Approved members

I worked full-time until my son was diagnosed. He and my daughter were with a lady in her home. They were the only children she kept, except for her grandchildren occasionally. It was an ideal arrangement because she loved them to pieces and charged me way less then any day care in the area, but I wasn't comfortable with him in her care after DX. She wanted to learn but she was having a hard time grasping the concept of his care so after about 3 weeks--my husband and I decided that I would stay home with them. Jaden starts school next month and I am seriously considering going back to work at that time.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I was laid off from my corporate travel job (darn the dot com bust!) the same day I found out I was having twins! I didn't go back at first because it was just too costly to keep two kids in full time. Then hubby was transfered a job 1hr away, so we thought it best I just stay at home since we could swing it. FF 2 years and Abby was diagnosed, I decided to stay home a bit longer because we have no family support in the area. Plus, the jobs in travel locally are non-existent! Right now I volunteer at the school and with JDRF. I'm still deciding what I want to be when I grow up! My parents are so happy they sent me to college for 4 years for a career I don't even work in anymore:D My mom said, "I knew I should have pushed nursing school a bit harder! You're practically one anyway."

15. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

I have been a SAHM since the twins were born. Purely a financial decision. My salary did not pay for childcare for 2! My plan was to return to school as soon as they entered school full time. (To get a better job.) I have tabled that plan for the time being, until J is more independent in his care. (I do not trust our school nurse) So for now I'm a PTA/SAH-mom. :)

16. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

I work outside the home full-time. Hubby is a stay-at-home dad, mainly for D care.

17. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I was a sahm on/off for about 8 yrs. We owned a video store that I worked very parttime in and the kids came with me, and then I worked part time from home for awhile too.

I went back to work fulltime out of the house near the end of Jessi's kindergarten year. Once I was comfortable knowing the school was capable to take care of her.

I only work 10 mins from my house, and my boss is awesome. So if I need to leave in a split second I know it isnt an issue.

18. etringali

etringali Approved members

Been a SAHM for 6 years now. Stayed home after andy was born. Had started teaching again when I became pregnant with Kira and am back home full-time:)

19. Burlew

Burlew Approved members

I was a sahm for over 10 years. When my youngest started 1st grade I decided to find a job that allowed me to work only while they are in school and 3 days a week during the summer. My schedule is very open and I can take the work home with me if need be. I did contemplate on returning to work when my son was dxed..but money was already tight and with the cost of d supplies I decided to stay working.

20. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

I became a SAHM after my first was born, went back to work part-time when my second was 1 1/2 and at the time DS was diagnosed I was 3 months pregnant with #3 and working from home. We already were discussing what the working situation would be when the baby was born. The diabetes diagnosis definitely impacted my work situation though. We ended up pulling DS out of school to homeschool him the remainder of his first grade year. We decided to do it again for second grade and now we are moving into grade three homeschooling and loving it. With the homeschooling decision and the new baby working from home just was too much so I am a homeschooling mom now.