- advertisement -

working full time and 1/2 hour away with 3 year old type 1....tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chkpea, Apr 13, 2009.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

Please answer this if you work and you have a young child with type 1. I am currently on a leave but am due to go back in 3 weeks. I have not done a whole lot of prep to do that yet as I am in between not going back and going back. Before this happened work was already fairly stressful. The daycare situation would be a home daycare provider and our diabetes centre will go to her and give her some education on management. I am thinking that it is a lot to handle for a daycare provider given his age. He is currently on one injection a day in the morning. So I am asking those that work and have a young child if you can provide any tips for me on going to work and finding a balance of good management, etc. If you need more info on my situation please feel free to ask, also if you want to pm me that is fine too.

2. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I don't have any answers for you but I am in the same boat. I am supposed to be going back from mat leave in a few weeks and have no idea if I should. We are using a daycare centre who will also be trained but I'm am so very anxious about going back and I am trying to figure out if it's economically viable to stay home a little longer until I feel we have things a little more under control.

Good luck with your decision and I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

3. allisa

allisa Approved members

This is just my thought and as always....YDMV...

but when my son was young....that was the whole reason I LIKED NPH...I know, I know....many do not like it.....but.....for us it was easily predicatable and required no one besides me having to inject him.

I do think it is a lot to ask a home day care provider to learn the ENTIRE diabetes protocol.....chekcing blood & knowing how to treat a low are going to be stressful enough.....ease her into it....

and it sounds like you may be in a nice honeymoon....1 shot a day is a great ease in !!

I wish you much luck....it isn't easy being a working mom...never mind what Diabetes does to the equation.

keep the lines of communication open....that is my biggest advice.....she will make mistakes ( just as you will and just as I will )....so ......take it easy on her for the first few mistakes.

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi,

Alex was too old for child care when he was diagnosed but I am a child care provider. If you have found a provider who is willing to learn to care for your child, you are very lucky. I hear so many stories from parents of children with D who can't find care. Just keep the lines of communication open. Let her know that she can call with ANY questions and if she calls with a 'stupid' question don't let your opinion about the question show (thru your voice, sighs or answer). The provider will be nervous. You need to help her feel confident.

Caring for other people's children is always harder than caring for our own children. So be supportive. Try not to micromanage. And be appreciative.

And to maker your provider's job easier in general, make sure you find out all of her policies and follow them. Most child care providers are very hardworking and willing to learn about how to care for your child.

Good luck. I know it will be hard to leave him but it's something you have to do, right?

5. Eve

Eve Approved members

Kaitlin was just dxd 3 months ago and she is 9. I'm a full time worker and she is in a daycare. We use NPH along with Lispro in the morning so she does not need a shot at lunch. Both the school and the daycare has been trained now and I think doing the shots at home are easier,its one less thing I have to worry about. Hope this helps.