- advertisement -

Work or Stay at Home

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mbdoss, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Nicole, I could never run a day care. I don't have that kind of patience. I so admire you for that.

I stayed home for the first year after dx.
    I used to work as a janitor because the buildings I cleaned didn't have an official scedualed time, and I could go in right after closing and start, or I could delay and go in at midnight. As long as I was done by 4am it was all good. I hated that job though, and by the time I was done I had enough buildings that it wasn't as flexible, and I was up all night getting them done. I quit right before Christmas so that I could be awake with the kids. I then moved onto doing in store demos on the weekends, but that was temporary. I have another asignment through them, but I think I am going to do full time regular day job. Julia's in school all day now, and we have a really good after school program at the Y that she can go to if I work a little later.

It's a very personal choice. Whatever you decide to do will totally depend on your families needs.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Me too! The boys have never seen me doing anything other than being a "mommy" and when I tell them that I used to be a paralegal in DC, they look at me in shock! The only times they ever see me dress up now is when we go to church! LOL!

I still cannot believe that I used to commute 60 miles each way to DC every day!:eek: I can't stand to sit in traffic for more than 5 minutes now!

3. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

I work with hubby stay at home mom. :D

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I work part-time. I'm definitely not cut out to be a SAHM.

5. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

working at home

does anyone know of a good stay at home job to get into. i am considering to dabble a little on ebay. does anyone have anything good to recommend, perhaps something that has worked for you. thanks.

6. mom23boys

mom23boys Approved members

I have been SAHM since my first was born 13.5 years ago. Love it!!! I homeschool as well, but the older they get the harder it is. ( math, language etc) I was thinking about enrolling my children in our christian school at church and start working there this year, but we got a big surprise. Pregnancy!!!!!! oh my. Guess I will be staying home for a few more years. LOL

7. tjirvin314

tjirvin314 Approved members

Stay at home

I currently stay at home with Madi, 3, t1, pumping with Animas, and twins Landon and Leah 14 months.
    Some days I love staying at home and others I think work might be less stressful than being home! haha!
    I think if you choose to stay home and you feel you can handle it, babysitting other peoples kids (not full time in home day care) once in a while to give other stay at home moms a break is a great way to get some extra income I know we are always looking for babysitters and with Madi being D, I cant trust a teenager (unless they were D too!) Its been a huge stuggle for us. That being said if anyone lives in Southwest MO and is interested in babysitting etc let me know.
    Good Luck with your decision!
    Trisha

8. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

For the past 3 years I have been a SAHM, I did work nights 7pm-3am for 6 months but it got to be to much for me to work FT plus take care of the house, my DS, and try to get an hour or two of sleep. I would love to work but when I do find work either my DH or DS make it so I quit to be home and take care of what needs to be done. I really wish I could work tho. Child Care is really hard for us too. I thought of doing home daycare but I think I would rather hang myself with a Johnny Jumpup then do that. lol :D I also have to be avalible 24/7 for my DS when he is at school and stuff so it makes it really hard for me.

I am interested in doing work from home stuff tho, I thought of Med. Transcriptionist I even started going to school for it but it is to long of hours to make FT pay at home.

9. BlessedIAm

BlessedIAm Approved members

Hi, Mary Ellen! My DS is the same age as your DD and they were both diagnosed on the same day and our DH's are both type 1 too. Thought I'd point that out because I thought it interesting.

I became a SAHM when DS was born but went back to work part-time when my second child was 18 months. I worked part-time outside the home for almost 2 years and after that took a job working from home for a year. I got pregnant and we had already talked about me possibly quitting my job when he was born but when DS was diagnosed with diabetes my 12th week of pregnancy it pretty much solidified that I would quit working. I love being at home with my kids and I feel it is truly a benefit to be at home with them in general but especially so now that DS is diabetic. I want to be available to him as much as I can because like some others in here I have a DH that works long hours and also goes on regular business trips out of town. We also made the decision to homeschool him after his diagnosis due to some school issues which I know not everyone would want or be able to do but I am so grateful that we had the option. It can be a struggle making it work on one income but I definitely feel the benefits are worth it.

10. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Its finacially possible, you will have lifestyle changes but its possible and not so painful. My husband is retired miltary and his VA check amounts to 1280 take home once a month. We have 4 kids. Now, Im a substitute teacher which on a busy month brings in 400 extra a month. So add that up, on average we eke it out with almost 1700 a month. By golly if we can do that and we never go hungry, our kids always have new clothes (we find deals), new shoes, school supplies, anybody can do it because 99% of one-income families make more than me and my husband do together,lol. :p

11. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I have been a SAHM for 8 yrs now. Consulted for a few months when Mia was born and made me the best money...ever :eek: but the company had to let go of all consultants due to cut backs:(... Then had another baby (Ciana), so I just stayed at home with the kids, then Mia go diagnosed when Ciana was 1 1/2 yrs old...

I don't miss the 60-hours-a-week fast paced work schedule and political BS and corporate ellbow-rubbing but I do miss my paycheck... Now, I play cards (p oker) on the side for some additional spending money, which helps pay towards the bills as well as some luxuries like a massage once in a while (mostly for my hubby) and our cleaning lady to come in and help clean the house (mostly for me :D)...we were even able to put in new wood floors in the bedrooms from the extra last year :).

12. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I work outside the home too. Im a teacher, but Im fortunate to live in a small town and our school system is GREAT any time I have to take care of things with Kylee. My husband is a safety guy at a gold mine, and works rotating shifts on a 28 day rotation, so 14 days out of the month he is off, and 7 more of those days he is home because he is sleeping to go to work that night.

I tried staying home once while I was finishing up my degree. I lasted 6 months before it drove me crazy. My kids were all in school all day, so I spent the better part of my day home alone and I hated it. I probably would have been fine if I had one kid home at least part of the day. I like the flexability teaching gives me. I actually beat my younger two kids home, Im off when they are off, and my whole summer is free!

13. Sari

Sari Approved members

We both work full time

14. Jenna'sMom

Jenna'sMom Approved members

I work full-time as a teacher. When Jenna was diagnosed, it was the middle of the week, and I took the rest of the week off. That's it. I spent one of those afternoons teaching my daycare lady how to take care of Jenna's diabetes. Our daycare only takes care of my two girls and her own two that are at home; she's not a licensed daycare, but was willing to learn. In fact, when I called her after Jenna's diagnosis to see if she'd be willing to learn how to take care of Jenna, she said it had never even crossed her mind to NOT continue watching my kids. It was just what I needed to hear. I do not regret my decision to continue working. I get my summers, weekends, holidays, etc. off, and that's plenty for me. I don't think I'm cut out to be a SAHM, and certainly not a daycare provider. :cwds:

It's hard not to want to stay at home to care for this disease. It's hard to trust that others are going to care as much as you and be as careful as you are (because, by and large, they won't). But at the same time, I didn't want to quit a job I enjoyed and possibly give my daughter the message that diabetes was going to completely change the way we lived. Of course, on many levels it has - but a lot of that is just my obsession with D - my daughter doesn't notice it, thankfully. :cwds: But I would never want my daughter to think that I couldn't work or she couldn't continue going to daycare or school with her friends because of her disease. My situation differs from so many here, though, in that I have a daycare lady that cares for my child like her own, and the school nurse at Jenna's preschool has been nothing but accommodating for us. I don't know what I would do if we didn't have these two ladies in our lives.

Good luck in your decision! I hope it works out for you.

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Both kind of...I'm in sales, so I work, but I'm also home a LOT. I LOVE my job:D

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

17. Livi'smom

Livi'smom Approved members

I have been a SAHM for almost 13 years now. I will probably get a job sometime before the kids go to college. I really would not mind a job with the school system now. Something with the same schedule as the kids.

18. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I have been a stay-at-home mom for almost 5 years. Before then I worked full-time at a small motel my ex-business partner and I owned. The year I sold my share in the motel 4 months later Kelton was dx'ed with D :eek:

19. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

Some people asked about work from home jobs. Unfortunately I have not ventured into this site, so I can't recommend it. But it's been featured in some magazines and appears to be in the up and up. You have to pay for a subscription (sort of like paying for a newspaper) and they post available jobs.

Use at your discreation. If you venture, let us all now so us timid ones can take the plunge.

http://www.jobsformoms.com/

Charmed

20. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

I've been a sahm since i had Ryan. But the last year i've been substitute teaching in town-which some weeks I work a lot and others I don't work at all...so I consider myself a part time sahm.