- advertisement -

Wish Us Luck!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Juliefx, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Juliefx

Juliefx Approved members

My 17 year old leaves for a 3 WEEK trip to Ecuador tomorrow with her Spanish class. She is bringing a back up pump along with shots just in case. I'm pretty nervous since she has never been away this long, and she will be in some remote areas without access to medical care. When she was diagnosed at 7, we decided never to let diabetes get in the way. I have to say that we've come a long way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (If this trip goes well, she will be going to Ecuador again in January for 5 months by herself (semester abroad).)

2. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

good luck!!!!;) I'm sure everything will be ok, I think it is great for you dd to do this. Please, let us know how it went, if possible with some pictures:D

3. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

That is wonderful. :cwds: Congratulations and Good Luck. :cwds: I said the same thing when Adin was diagnosed and your family inspires me.

4. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

You gave me goose bumps- I like your attitudes!
    Wish her luck for me, and TRY not to worry too much!

5. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I'm sure she will have a great time. My mom and I were in Ecuador for 1 week for a missions trip and absolutely loved it!! Where in Ecuador will she be? Make sure she has a not from her endo with everything on it(have it in english and spanish). The only problems we had were getting glucagon past security when we were leaving and taking a empty water bottle(they took mine away, but nobody elses).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Good luck! I am sure she will have a great time! :D

7. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Oh wow, what a great opportunity for her! And I do wish you luck -- both of you. A good friend of mine sent her 17-year-old on a two-week exchange to England and Ireland a few years ago. Her heart (of course) was in her mouth but she knew Rosie had a good head on her shoulders and understood how to look after herself, and she had the time of her life. I'm sure it will be the same for your daughter.

8. cmdrron

cmdrron Approved members

Not to worry she will be fine. My daughter went to Belize last February for 2 weeks and everything went good. What we found that helped us was the friends that she went with, most were educated about D. and could recognize early signs of hypoglycemic, and also undestand and could know how to use the glucogon if necessary. Being dx for the past 10 years, like my daughter Lindsay, would never let it get to that point.

Relax Mom, everything will be fine and she will have a trip of a lifetime!

9. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

good luck and hope she has a great time!!! :)