advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish us luck, we hired a real babysitter tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BrendaK, May 3, 2008.

1. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We took the plunge and did it -- hired a real live babysitter for tonight!! We have never had a babysitter that was not either family or a close friend of the family. But after 7 years of D, IT'S TIME!!!!

We found a girl who goes to our church -- she's 14, extremely responsible and lives 3 blocks away. Her mom is a nurse and will be at home all night in case of a problem. Both she and her mom came over last weekend to learn about D. Basically I told her what to do if Carson's low. The plan is that she is going to call us whenever Carson checks his blood sugar. (And I'm going to type out very detailed instructions on what to do and when.) Then I will get on the phone with Carson and tell him what to do. He's gotten really good at the button pushing thing.

DH and I will be 1/2 hour away, so wish us luck!!! I'm off to Target to buy prepackaged food the babysitter won't have to weigh or measure :rolleyes: I hope it goes well because if it does, we may have a social life again!!!! And since she's 14, she won't be going off to college anytime soon :)

2. Ella's mom

Ella's mom Approved members

How cool Brenda!!

We are heading in the same direction as you as far as a real babysitter! We have my parents, my sister, and one family friend that does babysit for us. But it is coming to point where I would like to have a babysitter.

Do you mind sharing how much you are paying? I have no clue as to what the going rate is:eek:

Enjoy your evening:cwds:

3. BrendaK

I think the going rate completely depends on the area you live in. College age babysitters go for $12/hour in the Chicago suburbs. BUT, my really really nice 14 year old homeschooled babysitter is only charging $5/hour which is DIRT CHEAP!!! We'll probably pay her $7 or so. But it really depends on where you live.

4. Ella's mom

Thanks for your insights! You will have to give an update on how it turns out for you all tonight!

5. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Have fun. I hope it is a wonderful worry free evening for you guys!

6. allisa

allisa Approved members

GOOD FOR YOU !!

You both deserve this....and it is good for the kids to have a break from parents as well !!

I'm sure all will go wonderfully....and tell her to keep all her Saturday nights open for you !!

HAVE FUN !!

7. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Let us know how it goes. I really want to look for someone as I get tired of asking family and then getting a big whine about having to do it. It is getting really old. (And I can just imagine how my mil will freak thinking someone else is watching the kids--she is the whiner.) Maybe if you can give a good positive story, dh might be more game. WE NEED IT!!!

8. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Sounds divine! Have a great evening!

9. ilesha

ilesha Approved members

We too have only ever had family babysitters. I'm nervous leaving my kids with strangers but I would love to find a babysitter. We didn't find one before D so now even more nervous with D.

Good luck and have a great time out !!!!

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Have a great time! Let us know how it goes.

Amy

11. susan

susan Approved members

That is awesome I hope ya'll have a good time..We are really lucky, we have a 14 year old girl that babysits for us when we go out...And the kicker is she wears a pump just like Davis..So she knows exactly how to test him and how to bolus for whatever he eats...Our family babysits but since we don't pay them we always try not to stay out too late, however, if we pay someone we don't feel bad about it..:)

12. BrendaK

We had a GREAT time!!

DH is taking the sitter home now and the boys are fast asleep in their beds. Carson was 286 when we got home, but we did keep him a tad on the higher side tonight. (And he had all junk food tonight!)

Everything went REALLY well. I had everything measured and weighed before hand. At dinnertime Carson checked his blood sugar and called me and I had him bolus himself for dinner. They had hot dogs and the sitter even called me back because they wanted ketchup and I hadn't mentioned anything about ketchup, so she called to make sure they could have it. And then Carson called me on his own and asked for another hot dog. But they were having ice cream soon, so I told him to wait. It was a junk food night, which made it VERY special for the boys.

We had a great time at the party (it was a party for a coworker) and afterwards realized we were only 2 miles from IKEA, so we made a stop there on the way home! (I haven't been there in about 3 years!)

So, we may be on our way to getting out more often now! Westinsmom -- I hope this helps your cause. Westin can definitely handle a babysitter :)

13. WestinsMom

Oh, I know he can!!!

I told Jason you had gotten a sitter, that I hoped to be able to convince him...he said, "No, I like using Mom." UGH!!! He must like listening to her whine!

Still I am keeping my eyes open for the right person. Too bad our homeschool group is so young.

14. Ella's mom

Yippie sounds like everyone did just fine! Shows alot for the sitter to call back when not sure about ketchup!

My mind has been turning wondering about if I knew of anyone to start the process of a sitter. Then realized Ella's pre-k teacher assistant is a teenager (homeschooled so earns credit being the assistant!) just might be our answer. Will talk it over with her mom first and see what she thinks.

Brenda thanks for sharing- helped me moved from wishful thinking to hey we just might find ourselves a real sitter!

15. Jodicol

Jodicol Approved members

WOW!! Congradulations!! I hope you had a great night out. Hope you were able to relax, and not worry about your son. I thinkd that is great to get away. I wished I could do that, but not there yet. But very HAPPY to hear others can ,, gives me hope that someday,,,, I will be able to, too.
    Thank you for that.
    Daughter - 7 dxd at 5( 1 1/2 years)
    Daughter--10 non D

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  16. LOVE 2 T1'S

LOVE 2 T1'S New Member

Hi there! I'm new to post but have been a long time "lurker"! :) I am so happy to hear about some other peoples issues with babysitters and such. My daughter was dx'd last April and REALLY the only person in the family who takes care of her is my mother. I totally hear what one other member said about the "whining". Although no one whines...EVERYONE appears to be scared to death of watching Breanna. It's so frustrating too because she's such a good girl. (I may not say that tomorrow...:eek:) I was just getting ready to run an ad in our local paper for a retired nurse or someone with medical skills to sit for us but I haven't done it yet. I was also not sure about what to pay. We live in a rather rural area and I don't want to be paying as much for my babysitter as I am to go out with my husband!! I don't have that kind of cash!!!

DH's cousin (who is in her 20's) has said she would watch Brea for us but she has been over once and when I was explaining the things to her (carb couting, finger pricks and pump stuff) she didn't seem as though she understood how very important those things were. She seemed a bit nonchalant and that worried me. She has offered to come over again and I want DH to be here and go over things with her and see what he thinks. Since he's had D for so long I trust his instincts on judging her.

Well...again...thanks for this post. Now I at least feel there is hope!

17. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Not trying to hijack, but Michelle, now that you know I'm not an axe-murderer, I'd be willing to take care of Westin for you guys, haha! I know how you all feel, though. Our two standard baby sitters get no pay either, but more because they're church members-- one is Grace's school supervisor, who's been fully trained in handling her D for almost 2 years now, and the other is an LPN, and we give instructions to them both that would leave nothing wanting. I just hate using the same two gals over and over, I'm sure they'd like a break, but we don't go out very much, if only for that reason. Ok, maybe it has to do with being unemployed a LOT, but otherwise.... LOL

But Michelle-- think of it-- we could SWAP! Wahoo!

18. WestinsMom

Thanks, Iana, but honestly you are pretty far away, but if we were headed that way, I would definitely consider it...and I know you aren't an axe murderer! :)