- advertisement -

Wisdom Teeth Tips & Should We Look Into Harvesting Stem Cells?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KarenRI, Jan 16, 2014.

1. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

My son Nate will need to have at least one or maybe all his wisdom teeth extracted. (He's 18. Was dx'd with Type 1 at age 9 and has not been under anesthesia since).

Any tips or things we should be aware of are greatly appreciated.

Was also wondering if anyone has had stem cells banked from teeth in case down the road the cells can be used toward a cure?

Thank you!

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

As of right now I suppose the best place to keep the cells is in the teeth in the mouth. You can always get them later and they wont be harmed by freezing or cost anything to store. Possibly it would mean extracting a wisdom tooth in the future that would not otherwise need to be removed but the benefits might outweigh the downside 0f having a tooth removed.

If he can keep some or all of his wisdom teeth now not only is it a great place to keep stem cells but the presence of wisdom teeth protects the underlying bone.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would just make sure he lets whomever is doing the procedure know he has Type 1 and also he should check his bg prior to the procedure. I have heard of some people lowering the basal rate prior to procedures, depending on how long it takes.

As for banking stem cells from teeth, I don't think it is worth the money. There are companies out there that prey on people's hopes of what may possibly, maybe, someday happen with a cure for Type 1 diabetes. If stem cells play a part in a cure, I think it won't be for a very, very long time and by then the technology will be advanced enough that it won't matter if you banked cord blood or tooth stem cells. So save your money and don't believe the hype.

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My non T1D daughter was considered for an experimental stem cell treatment related to her genetic condition. In the end they did not treat her, but MD Anderson matched her to many, many potential donors in an existing public bank. Now this was umbilical cord blood stem cells. It is my understanding that unless you have some type of very unsual ethnic background, it is not all that hard to make a match. I really feel the same way about umbilical cord blood, it is easily matched as well so no real need to bank that blood. I feel that by the time we get widespread treatments from stem cells then there will be widespread public banking.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 17. They were all impacted and it was a pretty complicated case. The procedure was a breeze. I was under IV sedation but still able to respond to the doctor. My parents had a nurse check my BG every 15 minutes and come to the waiting room and tell them. We turned down my basal over night so I was around 150 when the procedure started. I would have gotten IV dextrose had my blood sugar gone under 100. My parents would have made the decision whether or not to give me insulin if I was extremely high at any point. This is the same procedure we have used for the dozens of times I have been under anesthesia and it has always worked very well. The actual surgical part took around an hour and I was out of the hospital within 90 minutes after I got there.

My only suggestion is to fill the prescriptions ahead of time. You will probably be given a stack of prescriptions for pain meds, antibiotics, and mouth rinses and it is difficult to have to stop with your still drowsy kid on the way home after the procedure. My parents just called and asked for the prescriptions to be written ahead of time and then picked them up and filled them so we could avoid any unnecessary trips to the drugstore while I was still out of it from the sedation.

We did not harvest the stem cells. We actually could have done it for free since I have a history of a type of cancer treated with stem cell transplants (not that this type of stem cells currently have any use in cancer treatment). We spoke to three different oncologists and all said they saw no reason to do it and that the companies are generally just taking advantage of desperate people.

Also, your son may be put on prednisone or decadron to control the swelling. You will most likely need a massive basal increase to handle the resistance caused by the steroids. If you are not comfortable rapidly increasing basal then it might be a good idea to come up with a plan with the endo ahead of time.

I hope it goes well!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Thank you, Meg, excellent ideas! I will set something up similar for my son.

Thanks to everyone else who replied as well. I now feel banking stem cells isn't necessary.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

DD had wisdom teeth out 1 yr after dx. She opted out of the prednisone treatment, the IV and the sedative the night before. All was done with a local anesthetic and she did great!