- advertisement -

Wisdom teeth coming out on Monday....any tips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 2type1s, Dec 24, 2010.

1. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Morgan (my 16 y.o. D daughter) and her older sister are getting their wisdom teeth out on Monday. I'm not looking forward to it! But i'd like to be prepared. The surgery is at 1:00, so no eating after 7:00 a.m. Then they will not be able to eat until after 3:00 at least. The surgeon wants to take off her pump and hook her up to a glucose drip, but I don't think this is a good idea because she'll shoot up to 400! I told him she has a CGM and they will know what her sugar is at all times. He said he had never operated on a someone with one, and was excited about it (um.....yikes). So.....any advice, stories, etc, would be apreciated! (Foods that work well after surgery, how much basals change, all that!)

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

No advice for wisdom teeth with D, but use ice for the swelling constantly at first. Buy extra ice packs to switch out if you need to. It's much better to keep the swelling and pain down in the first place, than deal with the swelling and resulting pain because you didnt make them ice it.

None of my kids wanted to eat for a long time. When we tried chicken and stars, chicken noodle, they said the chunks of food were going into the holes. So we switched to only liquids.

Are you nursing both of them? Two of my boys went on the same day. Wow, was it a lot of work for me.

Good luck. Hope it all goes well.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Recently went through this with non-D oldest son. For swelling we used small bags of frozen peas in a tube sock (softer than ice packs). Even if they feel better after surgery, stay on the pain medication as scheduled (better to stay ahead of the pain). My son did well with broth, pudding and sherbet/ice cream.

I know there are threads on this website re: surgery. I remember reading tips prior to Lauren's adenoid removal a couple of years ago. We did keep her pump on her and adjusted basals down for the fasting involved.

Best of luck with the recovery.

4. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Warning! Do NOT do straws!

Drinking out of straws after tooth extraction create suction in the mouth which can dislodge the blood clots in the sockets and the patient can develop Dry Sockets. Dry Sockets is an excruciatingly painful condition and can make healing from wisdom tooth extraction take weeks longer!

Links about Dry Sockets:
    Don't mean to come down on Jordansmom [​IMG], and straws may be fine for a child who has a baby tooth extracted, but wisdom teeth are a very different deal.

Hope all goes well for you! Depending on the drugs your kids are on, it might be a fun time to get really silly movies (not like they'll remember them anyway, but you'll have fun watching them watch the movies, ha).

5. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

You're fine. I was thinking I remembered they said that. Its been a long time. But my kids did use them. Just to get little sips into the front of their mouths. But you're right, they were told not to suck on straws. My mistake.

6. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

We've already been warned about the straws!!! and yes....I'll be nursing the 2 of them. I'm taking the whole week off, so hopefully we'll all have plenty of time to recover! To make things worse Zoe is now running a 102.5 fever. GREAT! We had the flu shot, but looks like it's hitting here anyway!

7. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Make sure your clear about steriods. I clearly told my dr no steriods....He gave connor IV steriods which are much more potent then your everyday pill variety....His numbers were sky high for days. I questioned the doctor later and he said they figured a little while with high numbers wasn't that big of deal compared to the swelling. I would have much preferred the swelling that we could have controlled with ice and had much better numbers.

Just be clear as to what you want your doctor to do and that he understands your reasoning why.

8. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Steroids? is that typical? I haven't heard that!

9. MrsBadshoe

Yes they give to keep the swelling down. Both my other kids had steriods so I knew to ask about it what I didn't count on was a doctor that ignored my request....It unfortunatley was done under medicaid so it wasn't a doctor I had any contact with before or after the surgery.

10. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

I had my wisdom teeth out a few months ago and I got very mixed reactions from people about how they did/ their children did. Some people fly right through it and are eating normal food the next day. Other people have a difficult time with it. I hope your daughters do great!

First and foremost, like Lizzie's Mom said, don't drink with a straw!! They can lead to dry sockets which are really, really painful. I didn't use a straw but I did get sick from the anesthesia and I threw up my blood clots.

As for the ice packs, definitely encourage them to use them so they don't get chipmunk cheeks. My oral surgeon sent me home with a little thing that wrapped around your head and held an ice pack on each side of your mouth. It looked really dorky but it did its job!

You may also want to ask your doctor about a prescription for antibiotics to be on the safe side. If a doctor knows that someone has type 1, they often times like to cover all their bases. I didn't have any experience with the doctor trying to give me steroids but he did think the antibiotics would be a good idea.

Lastly, stock up on foods that are easy to eat! I was having a hard time getting enough food into me to keep my blood sugars up in the beginning. I found those meal replacement drinks like ensure were great to get enough carbs into me to take insulin and also enough substance to take pain medicine.

Good luck to your kids (and you!) I'm sure they will do great!!

11. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Daniel will have to get his out next fall, so let me know how it goes and if your surgeon does well I may get the name, I have one name but have not had a consult yet.. maybe you will be able to give me advise. Good luck!

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

When I had mine out nearly 35 years ago, it was done in the Dental office, I was on MDI, and did as well as could be expected, bearing in mind I hate dentists and avoid them at all costs :) I wasn't told to stop my insulin or put on a drip.

13. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

My daughter was on steroids and antibiotics after her extraction..it never occured to me to ask not to have the steroids. Her BG's were high for the week..even with increased basal and bolus ratios.
    I know her BG was checked during the procedure..and it was only an hour until she was done..not much longer till I could take her home. I had a hard time getting her out of the car, down the steps and into the house because she was acting like she was drunk..she kept trying to step up and we weren't at the step yet!
    She crashed out on the couch..her BG was high and I had to read the instructions she has written for me on how to do a correction..but after that one time she was able to do her own pump.
    Good luck to you and the kids!!

14. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Thanks everyone for the help! I will definetly ask about the steriods and antibiotics. Steriods are horrible and Morgan gets ketones really easily, so that is very helpful!
    Erica...I will definetly let you know. I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow!

15. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

I would be furious if I had specifically said no steroids and they gave steroids anyway!

16. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Sharon, I am off work this week..if you need anything let me know!

17. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Lots of ice cream, soft foods, pudding, and popcysles,
    And several ice packs.

Ibuprofen works great.

After a few days salt water swish....review w yr surgeon when it's preferred.

Good luck!

we did not get antibiotics or steroids.....just. OTC ibuprofen worked great.

18. MrsBadshoe

I was livid because we couldn't figure out why his numbers were so high and we couldn't get them down. Finally called the doctor, that is when he told me he had IV steriods during surgery. Great I was worried about a few steriod pills and this doctor feed in IV steriods for 30 mins....AHHHHH!!!

Nothing I could do at that point execpt hit the highs a little harder. This was a medicaid doctor that I would never meet or deal with again so it was easier to just let it go.

19. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

One other recommendation I have it to inquire about as needed anti-nausea medicine. They probably won't be having too much substantial in their stomachs, mainly liquids at least for the first day, and pain killers can be rough on the stomach... so can blood draining down into the stomach. The least fun thing for me after wisdom teeth being pulled was puking from the pain killers with little other than blood and other liquid in my stomach. I was super nauseous for the first like 3 days post-op.

20. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Good idea, Tricia! I think I still have some zofran around, but I remember puking up blood, too! Won't hurt to ask for some!