advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"wipe awat the 1st drop of blood."; Why!?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by payam7777777, May 14, 2011.

1. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

when doing a BG test, "remember to always wipe off the 1st drop of blood.".

why is that?
    i didnt know that.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I have never done that. I don't really see any reason to do that. As long as you are starting with a clean finger, which I always try and do. Seems pointless to me. I try and lance her finger as superficially as possible and get as little blood as possible. I think it is important for the health of her fingers over time. Maybe I am weird. :cwds:

3. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I have never wiped away the first blood drop either.

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Only time I do it is when her finger still seems a little bit wet from washing.

5. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

We were taught that too (don't do it now), but it seems I learned recently (from someone here!) that especially when you clean the finger w/ alcohol that you should wipe away the first drop to get a pure sample.

There was another thread recently about cleaning w/ alcohol and that is where I remember reading it. My ds washes w/ soap and water mostly.

There may be other reasons, but I remember when reading this one, that it was an "aha!" moment. :)

6. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Here's a bizarre question:

Can blood act as a cleaner? Like when you wipe away the first drop of blood, you help clean the area with the blood.

7. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

We were not taught to do that. I had not heard of doing that until reading here a few weeks ago. We wash with soap and water and make sure his hands are dry. I'm not sure we would be able to do this with his fingers. It's all I can do to get the first drop as it is. He doesn't seem to bleed much.

8. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

We were taught not to use alcohol swabs, just wash- and just use the first drop of blood. When I saw people wiping away the first drop of blood I was whoa! Its hard enough to get one drop sometimes!

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

We weren't taught this either but my son's school nurse used to do this when he was first dx'd and he wasn't testing himself yet. I never did understand it, nor do I do it! ;)

10. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Theoretically, the first drop of blood after you pricked also contains interstitial fluid which mingled with the blood which may cause a false low. So, when i went to nursing school they taught us to always wipe away the first drop and use the second drop for the sample. I do not practice this however when I test myself.

11. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

In a pinch, that's what we go by. (such as if he is testing in the middle of a baseball field. Heck, he's only 6....there is a lot of idle time out there.)

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We never wipe away the first drop either.. As long as her hand is clean I don't see a need, and actually if you do wipe away that first drop you need to be careful there is nothing on whatever you wipe with that would contaminate it.

13. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

We were not taught that nor did we see any of the nurses in the hospital do it that way.

I had a rep from Abbot talk about wiping away the first drop when she was demonstrating the Quickwik butterfly strips to me. Seems kind of counterproductive to advertise your meter/strips as requiring the smallest blood sample on the market only to have to wipe it away and squeeze the finger again! :rolleyes:

14. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Yeah it is kind of silly. And we were told in the hospital that we should never squeeze the finger to get more blood. We were told that could cause a false reading. :confused:

15. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I never knew this! (I thought you only got to interstial fluid if you didn't lance quite enough and really milked the fingert, instead of re-lancing.) Thanks.

9 years, never wiped away the 1st drop, except if still wet from and alcohol pad. Use an alcohol pad about 80% of the time.

16. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There was a recent study that showed that using the second drop of blood brought better results if the hands were not washed first. Alcohol doesn't cut it. If you've washed hands with soap and water, there's no need for a second drop.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/3/556.abstract

17. kidsmakes7

kidsmakes7 Approved members

We don't, normally, wipe away the first blood sample unless there is good reason to. If he has squeezed exceptionally hard, where interstitial fluid might be a concern, then we will. But otherwise no. In other words, maybe once in a VERY great while.

We have found that washing with soap and water, if not completely dried, will dilute his bg levels, but it's kind of a "as warranted" basis. If he just washed his hands and we would expect him to be around 110 and he tests out at 45 then we just ensure that his hands are completely dry and do another test. KWIM? It just didn't make good sense.

18. Zimmermibig

Zimmermibig New Member

I nearly smacked a well meaning ER nurse for doing that! My dd was severely dehydrated and one drop of blood was difficult to get...she wiped away a perfectly good drop, couldn't get any more and had to prick again....starting the whole process over until I stepped in. She said they were trained that way, and I've heard the interstitial fluid reason before...but we now know that cgms use interstitial fluid readings...so maybe the training needs to be updated.

19. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I was taught this at uni too. In fact, I almost failed a diabetes clinical skills exam for not doing so :p The lady who was examining me told me very gravely that it was extremely important. In real life, many of the patients who's BGs I check are old and don't bleed much. If I wiped away that precious first drop, I'd never get any blood! None of the nurses I work with practice this, and I certainly don't :cwds:

20. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We were taught:

1) if using an alcohol wipe or antibacterial gel to clean hands, wipe away first drop and test with second drop, or
    2) if washing with soap and water, just get finger nice and dry before testing on first drop.

My understanding is that they want to ensure that the alcohol is fully wiped away before taking the sample. Since we stopped using wipes within a month of dx, it hasn't been an issue at all...