- advertisement -

Will it hurt to keep your meter in the car?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BRANDYB, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

Just wondering if it hurts meters to leave them in the car. I live in Ga and it is hot hot in the summer and cold cold in the winter. I do park under the carport and in a deck at work. It would be nice to keep an extra but I dont want to if it will mess up and read the wrong number.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Meters don't work when very hot or very cold and strips need to be kept in a moderate temperature, so I would say that leaving supplies in the car is not a good idea.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Meters and strips are heat/cold sensitive.
    Keeping them in a car, while you would think is a great idea for emergencies, is not a good idea in the long run.

I froze meters 2x's by forgetting them in the car. One came back to life after thawing out, the other was dead as a doornail.

Now, if you need to do it for a short period, ie. going somewhere for a day and you don't want to cart a spare in your purse, put it in a cooler with icepacks. Just make sure you keep everything directly off the ice and dry. We've used a Tupperware container. Just put a few paper towels on the bottom as a buffer and then put the meter in. This works well for us, and it's also how we keep our meter, pump and supplies at the beach/pool.

4. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I have them in our vehicles, and have never had a problem, although we don't have to use them very often at all though, because they are the "spares" in case Jordan forgets his. We live in Indiana, and it is definitely cold in the winter amd hot in the summer.
    I think typically you shouldn't leave electronic is extreme situations, but I can only go off of our own experiences, and they have been ok.

5. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I wouldn't leave one in the car as a spare here in MN. The temp in my car probably ranges from -40 to +140 Fahrenheit. :eek:

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

You have to warm up the meter or cool it down, they are very hot/cold sensitive. When we camped in 110f weather, I kept my meter in the cooler and took it out about 5 minute before to use it, sometimes I warmed it by putting it down my top.
    :D