- advertisement -

Why we are Loving our Guardians!

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Mike&Dans.Mom, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

It has been about 6 weeks now since we made the switch to the MiniMed Guardian. It was a hard decision - we loved the Navigator - but could not wait for replacement products.

Here's the verdict - Guardian over the Navigator. Why?

A box of sensors is about the size of a package of poptarts.:D Much easier to store - and alot less waste.

If on accident you did not insert the sensor all the way in with the Navigator - it was trash you, had to start over with a new one. With the Guardian you can just pop it back on the inserter (or push it the remaining way in) and continue.

Sensor life - I can't believe how long our sensors last. I have had the kids take the transmitter off to recharge (15 minutes) to keep it going. We have actually said wow, I can't remember how long you have had that thing in - why don't we pull it? We need to stick with the company that can get us our best bang for our buck;)

Transmitter - Navigator really was huge - the guys hated it. With a bigger profile it was also easier to get knocked off. My youngest said the guardian is like a couple of quarters - he forgets he' s wearing it.

Because the transmitter is smaller the guys are willing to use it on their stomachs - they are not so embarrassed.

Tape - small transmitter, alot less tape. One piece of Tegaderm HP.

Receiver - durable, durable, durable. This is the same thing Minimed uses for its pump. It is rock solid.

2 hour start up - what a huge difference.

Repeat alarms can be set for what you want. We have our high alarm set for 2 hours. Once you acknowledge it, it wont alert for the 2 - or whatever you choose.

Receiver Battery - aaa battery - and you can change it without having to restart your sensor:D

What do we wish were better?

Longer range - but seriously, we are used to it now.
    LOUDER ALARMS - for nighttime.
    Long needle looks scary.

I can't believe I am saying this but if we had our choice between Nav and Guardian it would be the Guardian!

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have to say too the Guardian transmitter is much easier to wear in sports than the Navigator.
    2 hour warm up :D
    Different alerts for different times :D
    Choice of snooze times :D
    Smaller transmitter and receiver :D

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Okay, how long are you keeping the sensor in for? I just can't seem to go past 7 days recently.. It's seriously annoying since we're OOP for the most part. Any hints on how to keep a sensor going..? :p

I LOVE the MM CGMS as well. Wearing it, I can manage to keep an almost flat line some of the time (other times, not so much) but I can NEVER get that flattish line on BG checks alone. CGMS is awesome.

4. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

After about a month of not really being able to even get 3 good days out of a sensor, we are finally back to good results. Our last several sensors have gone 8, 5, 6, and now 7 days (and counting). I am relieved to say the least. I agree that the Guardian is my favorite CGM of the three which is not to say that it has always been perfect or easy to use. But I do like it the best.

Not sure what made the difference here. We switched to arms, manual insertions, new transmitter, and shallower insertions. My vote is for the shallower insertions. I'm stuck with manual insertions because my son won't even let me talk about the inserter any more. I am here to tell you that shallow manual insertions s*ck, but they seem to work :)