- advertisement -

Why not Omnipod?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Adinsmom, Apr 18, 2015.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Who in their right mind would want to get rid of their LEGO collection?!?!?

What is the world coming to?

2. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I agree that bribery can be a great tool in the parenting bag of tricks. When my son was little we used lots of incentives and bribes to try new things especially diabetes wise. When I think about it we give incentives sometimes with a strongly worded "you will try it at least once" regardless of the child or diabetes aspect anyway. :wink:

Update: we did get the Omnipod and my son is happy with the choice. We had it before and he was nervous about it (if I am honest so was I, because of our previous experience when he was little) but the freedom pumping has given him has slowed the diabetes burn out that we were seeing. Breaks my heart that at 10 he was feeling burned out from this disease but I am grateful we have found a way to ease his burden. If you are contemplating trying the Omnipod go for it!

3. rgcainmd

Add my daughter (and I) to the list of very happy Omnipod customers!

I'm glad to hear that your son is feeling less burned out. :)

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I ordered it yesterday! 45 day trial period, we will pay $199 out of pocket, pods are free. Pretty psyched to give it a try, especially seeing how idiot-proof the fill/prime process is. But also glad we have the tslim so if it doesn't work for him we can still pump.

5. rgcainmd

Be sure to let us know how it works out for you. Happy tubeless summer! :)

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Everything approved, pump and 45 pods shipped out Thursday, should be here tomorrow. As an expert tslim and Dexcom user do you think I should wait for the training or go for it? I'm not sure if we are being trained by the rep at home or at our clinic, which might delay things.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Watch a video and go for it. Ask your endo, of course, but we skipped all training and went from MDI to pods with no help.

In my opinion and not suggesting medical treatment.

8. rgcainmd

Have to say, our "training" was more or less turd-useless. You Tube for the win.

9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I'm sure this is a typo or autocorrect but I can't figure out what you were intending to say, other than "useless" - not sure where the turds come in! :p

10. rgcainmd

Now that I think about it, there are some very good uses for fecal matter:
    *Fertilizer.
    *Guano (bat poop) is full of nitrogen, particularly potassium nitrate used for gunpowder, and phosphorus used for fertilizer.
    *Camel "apples" became a good luck charm for the German military. The Allies discovered their habit of intentionally running tanks over piles of the droppings for good luck. So the Allies developed and planted land mines that looked like camel dung! When the Germans caught on to the trick, they began to avoid fresh piles of camel manure. In turn, the Allies caught on and began to make mines that looked like camel dung that had already been run over by a tank and therefore seemed safe enough to a Nazi driver. Genius.
    *The most expensive coffee in the world comes from poop. The Asian Palm Civet is a small animal that loves to eat coffee cherries, if it is lucky enough to live on the Indonesian islands where coffee is grown. The cherries only partially digest and are excreted fairly intact. The poop is gathered and washed, and the coffee beans are sold as Kopi Luwak, which can cost hundreds of dollars per pound. The partial digestion process is supposed to add a wonderful flavor to the coffee. Kopi Luwak is also produced in the Philippines and in East Timor.
    *A side effect of tin and silver mining in Bolivia is the acid water laden with dissolved metal that leaches from the mines. The toxic runoff pollutes water as it drains away, killing algae and fish. What to do? One method of cleaning the water is to introduce bacteria that process sulfates in the water, essentially binding the dissolved metals into iron sulfide, zinc sulfide, etc. so that the metals drop to the bottom of the water. This bacteria is introduced by adding llama dung to water treatment lagoons and wetlands, a method developed in Britain using cow and horse manure.
    *Humans have fueled their fires with animal dung since fire was invented, but now this energy source is beginning to be harvested on a large scale. It just makes sense, as huge industrial feedlots produce tons of the stuff. Solid manure can be burned, and liquid manure produces biogas, which is about 60% methane, or natural gas. Projects are underway to tap sources of chicken manure for electrical energy, cow manure to heat homes, and pig manure to fuel up cars.

I will never use the term "turd-useless" again!:D

*From "7 Creative Uses for Poop/Mental Floss" (The first, unimaginative example was mine.)

ETA: Is your son a Pod Person yet? Let us know how he likes the Pod.

11. njswede

njswede Approved members

Tell me about it. I sat through pump training a few weeks ago and it's like it was designed for unattended 3-year-olds. *sigh* And I'm still supposed to go to their Dexcom training (but I never will). 10 minutes of Diabetic Dannica and that was it. :)

12. rgcainmd

Our Dexcom training was also done by Diabetic Danica. The Dexcom folks should pay that young woman!

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

You are strange and I like you.

Yes, we're podding! I decided to live on the wild side and jump right in. I figure since I have the Dex I'd know if something wasn't right. So far so good. He says it's weird but doesn't hurt and is now telling his play date all about how it communicates via radio frequency and is so much smaller. Worst case we have a great backup/water day pump, and maybe he'll love it and want to switch permanently! Thanks for the encouragement.

pod.jpg

14. rgcainmd

Thank you for the compliment, and I like you, too!:eek:

Your son looks so happy and is such a total cutie-pie! The little girls must be all over him...

Happy to hear he is liking the Pod so far. If you need to troubleshoot any problems that may come up, feel free to PM me. (Not that I'm the end-all and be-all OmniPod expert by any stretch. But my DD has been a Podder for over a year now, so we do have a little experience under our belts. And I found the OmniPod topic on tudiabetes to be very helpful.) In addition to used test strips (which end up in the weirdest places, e.g. the litter box), I've started finding used Pods all over the house. (I believe my daughter was saving them up for an art project or other but lost interest.) I can think of worse things to find lying around...

Is that my favorite toy, LEGO, in the background?

15. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Yes, the girls in his class compete to walk him to the nurse or bring his lunch to the cafeteria when he's off getting his bolus - and he loves it. Sigh...

Yes, that is a Lego kit which was my bribe to just TRY IT.

Thanks for the offer to advise if needed! I may take you up on it! Will PM you my email address.

16. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

So..... he hates it. He says the tslim is like having something in his pocket and he hardly notices it. He's reminded of the pod all the time - when he bends over to pick something up, when the seat belt hits it, whatever. He's agreed to keep it and try again, and I'm happy to have a back up pump and something for beach vacations, but it's back to tslim tomorrow!

Love: the fill process. OMG, after the stupid fussy fill with tslim it's so effortless! And I would trust any person who can follow instructions to replace a pod. Filling the tslim is a PITA and literally takes practice.

Hate: scrolling to a number. The touchscreen is where it's at.

Feeling very lucky for our great insurance and that I have a new controller and 45 pods for $200 out of pocket. Putting them in the pantry, will try again soon.

17. andiej

andiej Approved members

Hi Sorry he's hated it, you don't think he would like it better if it was placed elsewhere, like above his bum? that's where my son wears his and doesn't know it's there.

18. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

This morning when we got up, he asked for "just one more bolus on the omnipod" so we will try again but not push it. I think we'll definitely be trying again.

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

Maybe have him try his arm? That's where my son wore his pod (and on his thighs). It is much bulkier than a tubed pump, contrary to what most people think (myself included until my son switched) but my son had never been on a tubed pump before the pod so he didn't have anything to compare it to.

I will say, he wears it well! He's a cutie pie! :)

20. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We use arms for Dexcom sites. Totally agree that it's good to put something inflexible like that on a part of the body that doesn't bend.

Thanks, I think he is a cutie pie too! :)