- advertisement -

why NOT Omnipod?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by tsoccer5, Apr 12, 2010.

1. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

OK our endo is leaving our practice and she totally convinced us to get the Ping in July when we are elligible through our insurance...

but the more research I do, my daughter swims, is NC State Champ in Taekwondo and does gymnastics... I think I really like the idea of the
    Omnipod with no tubing A Lot!

our old endo (mind you we only met with her twice) said it was "too heavy" for a 7 yr old.... but I see babies with them???

suggestions, input? we meet with the new endo on the 30th and I want
    to go in armed with all the info I can get =-)

TIA!

2. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

You can disconnect from the Ping, but not the Omnipod. My son did TKD wearing the pod, but not at this level of competition. Certainly, some sports, like wrestling couldn't be done wearing the pod. That being said, we love it and have worn it for football, soccer, TKD, swimming, biking etc. Chris is 13. Maybe some of the parents of younger children can talk about the size.

Chuck

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

In my opinion, a doctor saying the OmniPod is too heavy for a 7 year old is a most ridiculous statement. Was she worried that it would tip her over or cause some posture issues? :rolleyes:

4. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

That is interesting, since they have to wear a tubed pump as well.

Chuck

5. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

the dr claimed

that when full of insulin the pod would be too heavy for her
    I ordered a trial and will talk to the new dr in two weeks

6. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

My daughter is 6 years old and she wears the omnipod. It is absolutely not heavy on her. I don't know why your endo said that. Prior she was on the ping which also was great. I just loved the no tubing. She does fantastic with it.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thats just a silly statement from your endo.. there are plenty of little kids that use the omnipod.. plus, while traditional pumps have a smaller infusion site, they are still wearing the pump around their waist, in their pocket, somewhere.. and a traditional tubed pump would weigh more than the omnipod.

while tubeless is great, you can't disconnect like you can with traditional pumps.. for lots of people exercise will cause lows so they will disconnect and not worry about wearing a pump.. you can easily get around it by do a temp basal of 0%, but she'd still be attached to it.

If you feel the pod is right for your daughter, don't let the endo tell you no.

8. SPICYSMOM

SPICYSMOM Approved members

Trade up to Omnipod $299 if in warranty

And you do not have to turn in your current pump - just give the info on the pump to get the price while you are still under warranty - they charge to your credit card.

If you do not like the omnipod within 45 days of trying it - send it back for a refund. You pay for any pods you use.

Try it - you might like it!

Call Abbott if you want a 2nd back up meter - freestyle freedom - they will send one free upon request if you explain that you need one and you cannot buy one now.

9. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

DS is 8 and wears his Pod with no problems. Basketball, baseball, swimming, just being a boy outside, no problem. If you WANT to have the effect of disconnecting from an insulin standpoint, suspend the basal. DS wanted no part of a tubed pump and as I understand it, the Pod itself will be 43% smaller in the next year or so. Even at the current size, it is not nearly as intrusive as you might think.

Our endo was initially hesitant also, but I think the hesitation was as much about being unfamiliar with the Omnipod as anything else.

10. KHM

KHM Approved members

So we just did a couple of days with the demo OmniPod; I loved it, 6-year old Lindsay loved it. She's ready for a pump for sure now. Here's the thing---removing it...just the adhesive...REALLY hurt her and I was most gentle.

So---any suggestions? Do other 'pod wearers have adhesive removal issues? We're about 1 hour post-removal right now and she's still really inflamed where the 'pod was and she says its still a little tender. She said she would DEFINITELY NOT want to do that removal a couple times a week...

Input?

11. Helmut

Helmut Approved members

Use Uni-Solve.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. Uni-Solve works well. We actually use De-Solve-It, which is a solvent that you can get at hardware stores, but is totally safe for skin. Just spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two, and the site will literally fall off. :)

13. deeann

deeann Approved members

Ny 7 year old son wears the omnipod. Removing it is much harder than a traditional infusion set. We've used baby oil and uni-solve. Uni-solve works the best for us but it still takes a while to remove it. Ny son prefers to do the removing so he can have more control. I've also been told not to just rip it off, take it off slowly. Others have also suggested cutting or ripping the pod loose from the adhesive tape then trying to remove the tape from the skin.

On the whole, his skin is more irritated after removing a pod than it was with a traditional infusion set. I make sure to use some lotion or hyrdrocortisone cream on the skin after removing a pod.

14. dianas

dianas Approved members

Not all insurances will cover the Omnipod. That has been a barrier for many in the Pacific NW.

Diana