- advertisement -

Why no honeymoon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BKKT10, Nov 3, 2010.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I didn't have a clinical honeymoon (i.e. my TDD was never consistently less than 0.5U/kg). Things did, however, get harder after about 2 years of diabetes. I think there was a bit of residual insulin production which then tapered out.

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Good point:cwds:

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex was 15 at dx and never had a honeymoon (TDD just increased and increased for quite awhile). He wasn't in dka at dx but I suspect he had D for months before we realized it so I'm guessing he used up all his islet cells before dx.

I remember the NP would ask us if he had honeymooned at most of the 1st year's appts and I always thought...."I have no idea, you're supposed to be the expert."

4. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann was dx'd at 13 and her insulin needs started out high and increased for quite some time. We feel that she probably had D for several months before she was dx'd. She was in severe DKA with a bg of over 900.

5. rebesser

rebesser Approved members

Dear Katie

There are 2 factors known to predict the chance of entering the honeymoon phase; age at diagnosis and presence of DKA at diagnosis. Those diagnosed under 5 years or had DKA at diagnosis are less likely to enter honeymoon (also known as partial remission).This is based on one study, and of course every child is individual and doesn't necessarily fit that pattern.

The honeymoon phase is usually defined as needing less than 0.5units/kg/day of insulin with good HbA1c (usually less than 7%), which implies that the pancreatic beta cells are still making quite a bit of their own insulin.

hope that helps

best wishes,

Rachel

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

My dd had a bit of a honeymoon, and it was a nightmare. Her pancreas was still spitting out insulin, but it was inconsistent and unpredictable, which meant we could never adjust her doses accurately since we never knew what to expect. She had crazy lows on a regular basis. We couldn't wait for it to end so that we could develop some kind of control.

So, while some people love their honeymoon and it makes their lives easier, from my perspective you didn't miss much. :cwds:

7. frosteboy

frosteboy Approved members

This thread has been helpful.

Cayden was diagnosed about three weeks ago. In the last few days we have been cutting way back on insulin. So much so that some meals he gets none. His Lantus has been cut way down. Today he was low after both breakfast and lunch. After the first low we changed his ratio from 1:30 to 1:60. I dosed him for lunch and two hours later while napping he was 71. What the heck? Honeymoon?

We are continually decreasing insulin. For dinner I opted to give him a lot of carbs (more then he usually eats), hoping he ate them. He did and 2 hours 40 minutes after eating he is 270. With about 10 hours to go before his next meal I'm hoping he doesn't go low tonight.

I wouldn't mind a honeymoon if the pancreas would make up its mind.

He was diagnosed at 2 years 10 months old. After a follow up visit for a family blood clotting disorder, we told the hematologist about increased thirst and urination. A few hours later he was diagnosed. No DKA, no other serious symptoms.

8. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

Seth was diagnosed about 3 weeks after thirst and bed wetting symptoms started- his BS at dx was 248, age 10- that was back in March. He has had what I think is a pretty significant honeymoon. TDD's 6-8 units/day. We are now almost 8 months from dx and his insulin requirements have nearly doubled (not quite) in the last 2 weeks. So it's either a growth spurt of he is nearing the end of his honeymoon- kind of makes me sad.

I feel like we're failing as his needs go up even though I know it's just diabetes.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

This was such an interesting post! I've often wondered about the honeymoon that people talk about it. I don't believe we had one, either. Or...we had it pre-diagnosis. For comparison with others, she was 2 and was diagnosed with a bg around 500 and she was spilling ketones. No PICU or NICU time. She was diagnosed because we noticed the symptoms and not because of an emergency situation.

10. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip never had a honeymoon that we noticed. He was dxd a month before turning 8, no DKA. His onset was very long and slow, so maybe he had the honeymoon before dxd.

11. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I don't know why some newly dx'ed don't get the honeymoon phase. I'm sure its not anything you can pin on and blame. Its probably something beyond our control, like genetics. :rolleyes: Kat was dx'ed at age 3, she never even had the length of time your child has had. She has had periods where for no reason at all, she will need much less insulin for a few days. That has happened 3 times in 6 years, and the last time was when she was 7 yrs old. Shes a couple of months shy of 10 now. Were those times a "honeymoon"? Kat would say yes :D because during those short times she was eating and needing very little to no insulin, but doctors and say no - because it only lasted, at max, 6 days. The endo just called it a fluke. I had never heard of the honeymoon period until I talked to my Mom about it a few YEARS after Kats dx, because I had found this site (when Kat was 6) and kept hearing the phrase being used. Mom was ashamed to talk to me about it because she felt so bad that she had had a very long honeymoon period after her dx, and yet her granddaughter had not even had one. Of course my response was "Kats D is not your fault, Mom." :)

12. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

I always say that if my husband and I had a honeymoon like my t1d then I would be divorced by now. No honeymoon here either.