- advertisement -

Why no honeymoon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BKKT10, Nov 3, 2010.

1. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Not sure if anyone has any insight on this- but I have read a bunch of posts on parents whose CWD are going through the "honeymoon" phase. And I am curious- does anyone know why some kids go through a honeymoon period and some kids just get have a sudden onset with no honeymoon?
    For example, my daughter was diagnosed at the age of 1. She was very small when we came home from the hospital (she weighed 16 pounds) and her insulin needs were also pretty small - 1 unit of lantus and I:C ratio of 1:200 (we used U10 diluted humalog to accomodate). But her ratios quickly changed and we are now at 4.25 units of humalog for basal and an I:C ratio of 1:15 in the a.m. and 1:18 for the remainder of the day. She's two. Obviously not honeymooning. Is it because she was diagnosed so young? Or was she just born with a very, very lazy and disfunctional pancreas?

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

I think I've read that the older a child is when they're diagnosed, the greater the odds of them having a honeymoon.

3. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

Hi there. We were told that ds probably didn't honeymoon ever either. They indicated that it may be because he was so deeply in dka when diagnosed - this can prevent the honeymoon from happening they've said. His TDD has barely changed at all in the last 2 years since diagnosis.

4. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

My son dx'd at 15 never went through the honeymoon stage. Started with 20 units of Lantus and 1:10 carb ratios. He is pumping now and uses 15.5 units - 16 units of basal and still 1:10 carb ratio.

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Nat was 3 at dx, and we were late catching on to what was going on. My opinion for us is that she went through the honeymoon before we even knew she had Type 1.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I'm curious about this too. I also wonder if Ashleigh has ever had a honeymoon. If she has it's not a big one:D She has always had to have insulin with her meals, even if it's just 1 unit. She left the hospital with a I:C or 1:15 and lantus of 14u. 7 months later I:C is still 1:15 but lantus is now 19u.

7. joan

joan Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 22 months and did not have a honeymoon at all. The endo told me at that time that babies and young children are less likely than older children to have a honeymoon.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I have no idea, Seth didn't have a honeymoon either:confused: His D was caught early but I don't know whether that would affect whether he had a honeymoon or not.:confused:

9. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

We were told some do and some dont. We would have to see if she would or not. Her insulin needs went doen for about two weeks then bam right back up and that was it for her. She was 9 at dx time in dka and had dropped 22lbs.

10. KHM

KHM Approved members

Lindsay was six years old at dx and weighed 42 pounds. She had no discernible honeymoon. I think it depends on the kid and how long their beta cells have been failing...

11. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob was dx'd at 4yrs 11mos and had a BG of 360. He had no honeymoon. He may have had occasional periods where his insulin need dropped off but it was very short lived.

12. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed at 3 and had no honeymoon that I ever saw. She was not in DKA at diagnosis either.
    Would love to know the answer to this question!

13. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Wouldn't it all depend on how many islet cells were still producing insulin?

I'd guess that the longer it takes to diagnose, or the more ill the person is (DKA), the less islet cells remain functioning.

In our case, my son was dx'd before he showed much in the way of symptoms (it was caught during his annual checkup) and he's still honeymooning a little bit -- more than two years later.

14. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We only knew it was a honeymoon after it was over (now wouldn't that be a great country song). Chris took Lantus and bolused for each meal, but his BGs weren't as erratic and his TDD was much lower.

15. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Two factors:
    1. Speed of diabetes onset, which on average is faster in younger people. Rule of thumb is one month of honeymoon per year of age at dx.
    2. Timing of dx. If it's caught early, the honeymoon is longer for two reasons, one being that having good blood sugar extends the honeymoon, and two is that those diagnosed after being sick for a long enough time (like me) essentially had the honeymoon before being diagnosed.

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Maybe...
    Or maybe if you catch it early they are in honeymoon so your insulin needs are based on THAT and so the insulin needs don't noticeably go down after dx'd??? Just thinking out loud:cwds:

Interesting thread:)

I was told honeymoons last a year if your really lucky, I wonder if your son has type 1.5? That has a really long honeymoon, around three years :)

17. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

Thanks everyone for your insight. Our CDE had told us that Kaylee most likely would not have a honeymoon period because she was so sick at DX (BS was 1240). But it just seems so strange to me that some kids have this lingering DX and others have such a rapid onset. Guess it's just another example of YDMV?

18. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob's immune system just happened to do a very good job of wiping out what it saw as the enemy and continues to do so. In addition to the factors mentioned by others, there must simply be variation from person to person as to how strong their immune system's reaction to the islet cells is.

19. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Add my sweet Emma to the list of no honeymoons... Not that we noticed.

20. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Christopher was diagnosed at 20 months, and never had any honeymoon. We started with 1.5 U of Lantus a day, as well as Novolog, and quickly went up to 3.5-4 U per day. Of course, that may have had something to do with the enormous growth spurt about 2 months after he was diagnosed :D