- advertisement -

Whooping Cough...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by yelley, Jun 25, 2010.

1. yelley

yelley Approved members

My daughter had an appointment yesterday for a study that she is in at CHOC. I had been talking with them regarding a cough that she has had for about 3 weeks and we are thinking it may be asthma.

They had started her IV and were ready to get going with the visit when her endo came in and was questioning further about this cough.

I explained that right now she is having these bad coughing spells every 1-2 hours in the middle of the night. My husband and I are right there because she starts gasping for air and sometimes throws up. He looked at me and said "I think this is Pertussis" (huh), "Whooping Cough".

They decide to hold off on the trial and I am off to her reg dr.

I get home and now my son is coughing. I read online that there is an epidemic in CA. of Whooping Cough.

Ok, now we are all off to the dr. 4 Z-paks later and an inhaler for my daughter.

My daughter looks at me and says "Mom, I'm falling apart. First Diabetes, now Whooping Cough and... my eye hurts" I had to chuckle at that one....

Sorry so long, but be on the lookout for this cough that in the beginning just comes on as a normal cough, then BAM... coughing fits that cause you to lose your breathing, crazy!

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I hope she feels better soon.

3. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I saw the outbreak informaiton on the news yesterday. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

4. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

My niece's friend had it - and my sister found out that around age 11-12 they start to lose their immunity. I think they are now giving boosters earlier than before, but it is definitely on the rise in SoCal. My niece was lucky and didn't get it, and it was also lucky that her friend got it over spring break so it didn't spread too much. Hope your daughter feels better soon!!!

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Oh, I hope your DD feels better soon.

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I hope she feels better soon...How awful...:((( Tell her she is not falling apart, not yet but when she is our age...maybe :)

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I hope she feels better soon!

I've been wondering if my 12 year old is still protected ... did your daughter have a booster recently?

8. yelley

yelley Approved members

Thanks everyone for the well wishes....

Both of my kids have had 5 of the DTAP vaccines. Danielle's last one was 2003 and my sons was 2004. Some kids only have 4 by this age.

I would have thought they would be covered by having all the vaccine's but I guess it has been 6 & 7 years. I wonder now since they got it, will they still need the booster? Or is it one of those "once you have it you can't get it again"?

I guess just more to add to the mix....

This not sleeping is really starting to get to me & my hubby.... At least we don't have to set an alarm to remember to check her bg, she just wakes us with her cough. Gotta look at the bright side of things....

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Did you get a nebulizer for her? some sort of breathing treatment? Coughing at night is the worst..or you can try the stream from the shower too to help her...

10. yelley

yelley Approved members

They gave her an inhaler and have her taking Robitussin DM. Last night we got 3 hours between one of her coughing fits, that was nice.

We have done the steam showers in hopes to clear her out but it doesn't last long.

I hope she has a better night tonight.

11. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

Kenny had whooping cough when he was about 2. The ped. told us to bundle him and take him outside (was winter) or open the freezer door so he could breathe cold air.It relieved the coughing fit quickly. Dr said if opens the airways.

12. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've heard that for the croup, not for whooping cough, that's interesting.
    I've also hear that if it gets worse with steam it's pneumonia?

Hope all is well very soon.

13. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

Best wishes. It is miserable. I got it last year and was exhausted from the coughing. H O R R I B L E ! ! !