- advertisement -

Whoa! Meter question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Jun 3, 2012.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

I checked my son after playing outside today, the meter said 22 :eek: I knew that couldnt be right, he wasnt acting like he was that low. So, I rechecked and he was 181. WTH? I get how we could get a high reading in error if he had sugar on his hands or something but how do I get that low of a reading? Its a bayer contour meter, should I be contacting the company?

We had an issue months ago with me checking him at night and the meter just reading LO, and then when I rechecked him in 10 mins after treating he was up in the 200's. I thought it was just a fluke but now it seems like it might be a meter issue?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I had some false issues with false lows on the Bayer Contour Link. In my time using it I had one or two false LOs and a false low in the 20s I think, but I also had a genuine LO.

If his hands were sweaty or wet, that could cause a false low.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  4. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

It happened to us once in 9 months with our One Touch Ultra 2. Gave us a 36 at breakfast when she was really 100 something. :eek::confused::mad:

5. steph

steph Approved members

i've heard wet hands, not letting alcohol dry completely if u use alcohol, or any thing that might dilute the blood could cause a low. we havent had that happen. we always retest if there's a weird number, just in case.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I don't like the Bayer Countour that much, Emma. The endos like us using it so it sends the BG to the pump and all, but I preferred the AccuChek Aviva. But anyways, how does sweat or humidity affect a reading but giving a false low? Does anyone know?

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

The water can dilute the blood or get onto the test site preferentially giving a reading for the moisture and not the blood. I have seen, with the new Freestyle strips, because of the very low sample size that moisture can be a factor in giving whacky readings. We make sure to be very dry after washing or pool but just sweat I don't recall every having an issue.

It could also be bad strips or a failing meter - that would be hard to diagnose if some of the strips were randomly bad.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Thank you!

Mental note to take extra tissue paper for the swim class. I usually just run his wet finger on my shirt.:rolleyes: You'd think I'd be better at this after so long.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

If i squeeze to hard to get a drop of blood I get false lows.