- advertisement -

who uses a keurig ?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by C6H12O6, Mar 20, 2013.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

who uses a keurig ? discuss.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have a mini and really enjoy the convenience when making one or 2 cups. The kups can be pricey. The Startbucks taste like Starbucks IMO.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

useless for people who drink 2 pots of coffee a day.

Don't use one.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Love love love mine. I only make one cup a day and take it work with me so it works great. I agree if you drink much more than 1-2 cups it's not the best choice.

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I find you can use the k cups more than once with the stronger blends.

I got the reusable cup and have used it a lot for tea. I cut open two tea bags and put the leaves in it. I use it to make 2 - 3 cups of tea.

The k cups are expensive. The cheapest I have found is 17$ for 40 of a plain coffee.

I think they are 11.77 for 12 at WalMart for better brands.

Are they much cheaper in the US?

I got interested because they have one at my optometrist, and at the bank. I wonder if they give the bank a deal on them for promotional purposes.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

We have one at my sorority house and it is awesome! I don't drink coffee but I make iced tea with it all the time. If I was paying for it though I probably wouldn't get it because it seems like a ton of waste and I think the cost per cup is pretty high. Ours is a commercial version I think but we have 40 girls living in the house using it now and it is in great condition.

7. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

coffee hog here... I wouldnt be able to afford one with the amount I drink.

I have enjoyed them at dr office before tho, its a great concept.

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

My daughter got me one for Mother's Day last year. I have a cup or two a day and usually buy the k-cups online, on sale. We also sometimes use the reusable cups. They can also be purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond and ship free from their website (coupons can be applied as well).

It works for me because my husband makes dreadful coffee.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have one. My husband at first was not at all receptive to it, but now loves it. I don't drink coffee often, so I thought it was silly to make a pot of it, then only drink a half. Or, he would be compelled to drink the whole thing. It definitely has cut down his coffee intake. I like it because when I do want a cup, I'm not making a whole pot if I'm by myself.

We live in Dunkin' Donuts country, so that are our preferred brand, but it gets a bit pricey. We intersperse with Green Mountain brand (get those at BBB with there coupons).

What I don't like:
    Cost of cups (but at least we aren't tossing half a pot away anymore).
    Cups can't be recycled
    If you make anything other than coffee, it will still taste like coffee. Tea, hot chocolate, chai...all coffee flavored. You have to always remember to wipe out the pod holder and even better if you pour some water through to flush it out. So, unless you have some plants to water, it's also a waste of water.

But, it is convenient and quick.

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

I love my Keurig.

I bought one of those reusable plastic K cups you can fill with whatever ground coffee you want - and that makes the price comparable to any other way of making coffee.

I also sometimes buy the K cups so I have some on hand but it really isn't necessary.

So don't let the cost of the K cups be a factor. My plastic K cup works great - was $8 at the grocery store and I use whatever coffee I want!

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

We've been using the Kurig at my house since before I drank coffee... It's nice for things like tea (we have a reusable cup just for tea and just put the tea bag in the mug)

but for coffee, it's ridiculousness! I'm going to college next year and was thinking about getting one for my dorm until I realized how much money is wasted on these pods! making a whole pot of regular coffee and only drinking one cup is cheaper.

And to the PP who asked if they were cheaper in the US, I'm not sure... here a name brand cup of coffee (starbucks/dunkin) cost one dollar per pod=( and the off brands arn't much cheaper.

12. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We have one and love it. We use it for coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. I use it to make some great low calorie flavored ice coffee in the summer.

You don't have to use the K cups. There is a thing you can buy that you can put your regular ground coffee in and it fits in where the k cups go.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

LOL. If only I could get my husband to make the effort to scoop the coffee into the cup. We have one. Never been used:eek: I need to stop buying the cups for a while and just have ground coffee around!

14. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Love mine. Since I am usually the only one that drinks coffee, it was a waste to make a pot for my 1-2 cups. I have the resuable k-cup and use it from time to time. I also like it for hot water for hot chocolate or to put in a thermos to warm it up before the lunch goes in.

15. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

We love our Keuring. We don't drink coffee, but have it available for people who visit who do. It's so convenient. Yes, the cups are expensive, but you can find them cheaper online. My kids love the hot apple cider cups and I was able to find an assorted case of hot chocolate cups at Sam's Club or Costco - I think they came to about $ .16 per cup. If you aren't a big coffee drinker then this would be for you.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't drink coffee, but my husband does and he loves ours. We also have the reusable cup so that you can use ground coffee or the K-cups. We also occasionally buy the hot chocolate K-cups for the kids.

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

Right, it about $0.50 to $1.00 depending on whether you get it on sale or not.

You just can't make an entire pot of coffee of the same quality for $1.00. It takes about $2.00 to make a 12 cup pot of Starbucks coffee. So, if you only drink one cup the it's really convenient and makes good coffee. If you have 2 cups then it's about a wash economically however, making a pot requires the device, space and the inconvenience of cleaning it.

Personally, I also make coffee using this:

[​IMG]

and love it. It does require boiling water though.

18. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I bought one for my husband who is the only one in our house who drinks coffee and only one cup a day at home. (He drinks it at work during the day).

We occasionally buy some hot chocolate or cider -the kids like them. I don't because they have that artificial sweetener after taste. :(

I don't really enjoy the tea. I like a strongly steeped tea and don't find the Keurig makes it strong enough.

I've never noticed a coffee taste in other things.

19. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I usually run a couple of cycles through if I'm switching from coffee to tea or anything else to kind of clean out all the coffee.

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Had you pegged as a Chemex kinda guy:cool: