- advertisement -

Who knew? 10 month old diagnosed

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ShanaB, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Who knew that a 10 month old could almost die from diabetes? Well all of you do but what a shock, what a crazy week. We are learning the new normal and are doing fairly well but there are obviously ups and downs and I am just so thankful that I have found this forum. I have read over some of the posts and just want to say thank you, thank you to all of you who have recently given me hope that the new normal can be just as great as the old normal. I will have questions and will offer support where I can but for now I just wanted to say thank you for being there and I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Shana

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Welcome,:cwds: sorry you had to find us. My younger son was diagnosed at 10 months too. That was 9 years ago.
    There are much better insulins, meters, and pumps than we had 9 years ago.
    I am thankful for the advances.
    We have 'adjusted' to the new normal too.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Shana, Welcome to the family. Sorry you had to join us but I promise we will always be here for you:) How is your baby doing now? I know that this is alot to get used to. Be very patient and gentle with yourself. You will do the best that you can but no one is perfect. Come in here and post or join us in the parents chat room theres usually someone there to talk to . Many of us have been doing this for awhile now.

4. cem

cem Approved members

I am so glad you found CWD - it has made all of the difference in the world for us! I just wanted to mention that my daughter was recently tested for permanent neonatal diabetes. This is a form of diabetes that can be treated with oral agents (not to be confused with MODY which can also be treated orally). It is still commonly accepted that the onset for permanant neonatal diabetes is shortly after birth and definitely before 6 months of age, but our endo just discovered it in a case with onset at 11 months old. It is INCREDIBLY rare, but might be worth checking for as it would mean not having to be insulin dependent. We did our testing through our endocrinologist using Athena. There is an earlier thread about genetic testing and here is a link to the Athena site. Here is another:
    http://www.athenadiagnostics.com/content/diagnostic-ed/endocrinology/melitus
    Hang in there - it is a steep learning curve but it does get easier. Our daughter was diagnosed at 19 months and I felt like nobody (including the doctors) got how stressful and different it was managing diabetes in a child that young - you may feel alone, but you will find many people here who have been there and that is just priceless.

5. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Our baby was dx'ed 6 weeks ago at 7 months old. It's been long 6 weeks (first couple of weeks were a nighmare, I had to make myself get out of the bed, eat, etc.). Though we still struggle with numbers and learn something new everyday, we're trying to fit diabetes in our life and sometimes I can see how it will become a part of life.

It is hard with little babies as they can't really tell us anything. Whenever our son fusses, we feel we need to check his blood sugar levels - just in case, even though he might be fussing for other reasons. It's hard to predict what they'll eat. But you just do your best. There are many people with kids diagnosed very young and they've managed and kids are thriving, so there's no reason why yours can't. :)

You should indeed talk to your endo about possibility for checking for neonatal diabetes, we're in the process of doing that for our baby.

All the best!

6. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Bless your heart. 10 months is so young, and it is so hard to diagnose at that age. I have 2 with type 1, and each diagnosis was hard to swallow. But there is a new normal coming, and a promise you that most days will be good days.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

8. Bear

Bear Approved members

We're in the same boat--had our ten-month old diagnosed recently. We're actually just home from the hospital today. Our son is fine and has been fine for the last four days bit we were held up because his dosage is so small that it has to be diluted and Texas Children's--widely considered the best childrens' hospital in Texas--is having a tough time getting us dilutent for the Novalog. Weird, huh?

The type 1 diagnosis is quite a handful, but, with as sick as Charlie was, I'm just happy that I didn't hear "leukemia," "terminal" or any other such horror. We got our Bear (nickname for him) back and he's going to be fine, so I'm happy. We'll deal with the burden as it comes. I hope Emma is doing well and bouncing around like her old self!

9. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

My son is a little older he is 22 months. He was just diagnosed Type one in February. When we called the ambulance he wasn't breathing. I saw him turn blue. As they were working on him in the er they they thought he was in heart failure. What seemed to be hours of trying to figure out why he was in such bad shape and right before they were going to intubate him the labs came back! DIABETES! At that point I agree with bears mom I was almost happy to hear thats what he had. I was also thinking something terminal. I have to say though after I learned what a complicated disease diabetes is I am anything but happy. A piece of my heart permanently broke that day. The last 3 months have been lots of needles and finger sticks(as you all know)adjusting insulin and carb counting. I would have thought of diabetes as take some medicine and don't eat cake but you practically have to be a rocket scientist to figure this all out. The two weeks we spent in the children's hospital put things into perspective for me. We roomed with a few different people along the way, many of their children were being diagnosed with cancer. Some children had such bad brain damage they will never be able to tell their parents they love them. So when I look at my son and he wraps his arms around me I feel in a way blessed. I am not taking anything away from the daily struggle because believe me I feel it every second of the day but I also know we are on our way to a cure! Lets also be thankful Obama lifted the ban on stem cell research! Good luck to everyone. This is a great site!

10. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

I think you have totally summed up what I have been feeling over the last couple weeks. The Endo floor at SickKids is mixed with the transplant kids (a little weird). So, the time we spent in ICU and then out on the floor, we were surrounded by some of the sickest kids in the country. A lot of those kids are not going to make it and I am so grateful that our diagnosis is 100% manageable. However, having said that, I am still in a state of mourning. I am mourning the old normal and having a hard time coming to grips with the new normal. I'm sure this is to be expected and in time, I will come to terms but for now I am torn between being extremely grateful and being very angry/sad. The silver lining is I'm over the denial part! I'm guessing if I ever get more than 2 hours of uninterrupted sleep again I will be able to tackle some of this with a clear head.

11. Eve

Eve Approved members

Welcome to CWD:) Hope to talk with you in the parent chat room.

12. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

My daughter was 13 mos old...in full blown DKA...scary indeed..most horrible and scary week of our lives..Im happy to report that was almost 2 years ago and shes doing great..
    And your right we didnt suspect diabetes either...now we are so much more aware..didnt want to learn that lesson!! Welcome to CWD..

13. Melanator423

Melanator423 New Member

I was 10 months old when I was diagnosed and had probably had it for a good month before it was discovered. I stopped singing, I was crawling in slow motion, my diapers were heavier than me, and I cried all the time. After 3 different doctors visits of being told "she's just lethargic." "Oh, she's just teething." "It's just a little virus, she's fine" My parent's doctor told us to go to the ER immediately. I was in DKA and stayed in the hospital for a week while my parents learned to take care of me. I am now 20! :)