- advertisement -

Who is using the new T:slim pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, May 8, 2013.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

If you are using the new T:slim , how do you like it?
    Does it have any old Cozmo features ? Is it a pain to remember to plug it in to charge it?
    What is your favorite feature?

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Can I piggyback here and ask who is using the Tslim + Apidra successfully?? Do you have to change the cartridge every 48 hours?

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We were able to play with a T-slim for the weekend a couple of weeks ago. We never used a Cozmo, but I have been told that it does incorporate a lot of the old Cozmo features, like basal patterns that automatically switch by day, and being able to program patterns with not only different basals, but different I:C, ISF, etc. as well.

It's almost certainly going to be our next pump. It's very nice.

ETA: I plan to keep a charger in the kids' bathroom and just have Jack plug it in when he takes a shower at night. From what I hear, that should be enough to keep it charged.

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I am so bummed that we missed out on this. It had just come out when my dd was finally up for a new pump. Our insurance only covered Animas, Minimed and Omnipod at the time. As far as I know it's still true, they had only just started cover the Omnipod (this was last fall). Now we have to wait another four years. Hopefully by then they will cover the TSlim, but who knows what new pump will have come along lol.

Dd really wanted it too.

5. wondertwins211

wondertwins211 Approved members

We are using the tSlim and love it. We don't have any other experience with other pumps since our daughter was just diagnosed in January. We use Humalog in the pump (and can't speak to the Apidra--although I have seen many people talk about how the Apidra can cause problems in the tSlim). The pump is very user friendly and easy to operate. Happy to answer any questions that you might have about the pump and it's functionality. :)

6. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My son uses this pump. It incorporates so much of cozmo! It only takes a few mins to charge and comes with a long cord plus a car charger. You can charge while hooked up. My son sometimes forgets to charge for a week and he was still at 55%. His favorite pump next to the cozmo.

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

My son is using it. This is his first pump, after almost 6 years of MDI.

As a teen boy, the slick look and touch screen were big selling points for him.

Charging it is easy. We charge it in the car on the way to/from school and while he showers. A few minutes give it a good charge.

8. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Has anyone gotten Aetna to cover it? I really want to get the t-slim next year when my warunteey is up=D

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Just submitted the paperwork today, will let you know. Aetna told me they were out of network so the deductible will be higher, but Tandem told me they work with Aetna all the time. Time will tell.

10. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

I was waiting for my daughter to get home so I could ask her the questions you have.
    We have been using the t-slim since the end of October and she really loves it. It is much "smaller" and lighter for her and she enjoys that it slips in her pocket if she is not using a spi belt.

A couple new features for us that I believe you may have had with the cozmo is the site change reminder and also the alarm for missed meal bolus. We have found we do like those.
    When I asked her what her favorite "feature" for the t-slim was it was the touch screen and how fast she can enter her carbs to bolus with.
    She said she "enters" the number and she is done.
    The calculator and having it count up the carbs is also nice.

I was concerned see would miss her meter/remote and having me be able to bolus for her when she was home....but she at this age opted for the ease and speed of the touch screen.
    Let us know if we can help with any other questions.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Thanks for all the info. What insurance companies covered it for you?
    It uses the sets that would with Animas right?

So is it less water 'safe' than Animas?

12. wondertwins211

wondertwins211 Approved members

We use the Animas infusion sets. Right now we are using the Inset 30's but also tried the straight Insets (Inset 90's). You can use any infusion set with a luer lock connection. As far as insurance, we were able to get ours through my BCBS.:)

13. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We have CIGNA, but coverage may vary plan to plan even with the same insurance company.

We use Animas insets. We tried the Cleos, but they did not stick to him at all. The trainer couldn't get them to stick.

No, it is not "waterproof" like the animas. It has a water-resistant rating, I think it's 3ft for 30 minutes.
    My son always goes low with swimming anyway, so we just disconnect when he's in the water and reconnect afterwards. Same for showering. We often use that time to charge the pump.

14. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

We have BC/BS and it was covered. I can't remember details but we did need to use a supply company for our policy.

It has a luer-lock at the end of the pigtail so yes the animas sets work.

I am not sure about the waterproof/watertight rating compared to the ping.
    We haven't really had any experience with swimming with it.

15. hawkeyegirl

We don't have it yet, but we have BCBS HMO of Illinois, and they cover it 100%.

I believe it has a waterproof rating of 3 feet for 30 minutes, same as Medtronic.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Is the T:slim suppose to communicate with the Dexcom in the future? Is that the plan?
    Wonder how long that would be? years?

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes they Dexcom and tslim are supposed to intergrate. http://www.tandemdiabetes.com/About-Us/News/

Tandem is also working with JDRF for a dual chamber pump, that is probably a long way off but find the idea and that they are pursueing it novel.

We have Cigna PPO and are approved thru DME co-insurance of 15%

18. hawkeyegirl

Yes. They are targeting late 2014, but we all know how that goes. ;)

19. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I am switching to the Tslim within the next few weeks, as soon as my insurance approves it.

To answer a few of your questions....
    1. Tandem diabetes actually bought all of the patents and things that Smith's medical had for the Cosmo pumps. So it does have a lot of the Cosmo features.

2. The pump is very waterproof (well technically only 3 feet for 30 minutes). Tandem invented a waterproof usb port. This was tested during my pump demo....the rep opened the port up, and put the pump in a cup of water.

3. The dexcom integrated CGM and Tslim will be submitted to the FDA sometime next week, and the rep I talked to believed it should be approved within about 6 months. Especially since the pump already had the radio frequency stuff that it needs for the dexcom integration. The integration update might be as simple as downloading it to the pump from your computer. Of course who knows if it will actually be that simple, or if a new pump will really be needed.

I hope this helps. I have had lots of meetings and trainings with the Tslim this week. :D

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

#3...that's awesome news! Pump demo coming up this week, submitting to insurance already in process, hopefully switching when I can come up with the copay amount.